Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Practice vs. Habit

Interesting article that throws a new light on the old "10,000 hour" rule and questions the oversimplification of this concept. (It's a long one but if you're interested in the topic of practice and...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Question for you acoustic scientists?

I have two better questions...WHO CARES? Why is it so important? Use an electronic tuner and don`t worry about it...There isn`t a set formula as tuning posts vary in size and the string gauge size...
  3. Italian mazurka: "Flavia" (J. Gioè, 1925), with score

Joseph Gioè (1925): "Flavia" - Mazurka

This Italian mazurka was written by Joseph Gioè (1890-1957), who was an in-house composer for Di Bella Music in New York City at the time, and also wrote the...
  4. Replies
    Views

dark side of the moon

not sure this should be posted here and i don't know how to post it to the cafe site on facebook but it's fabulous!

https://www.facebook.com/fausto.mesolella/videos/901371663303995/
  5. Re: What a difference a couple of hours make -- a day

I heard this (possibly on this site) and it has always rung true with me:

Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

I see this...
  6. Re: What a difference a couple of hours make -- a day

I find that an hour a day just keeps me at my current level. It's my minimum for "maintenance". I'm not even truly warmed up and fluid until about 45 minutes in. So there's very little true...
  7. Re: What a difference a couple of hours make -- a day

I saw that video too some time ago. Not a huge fan.

My picking doesn't suck, as such. It is okay for where I'm at as a low level amateur. If it really sucked that bad (for anyone) a person...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone-Gard Love!!!

Another +1 for Tone Gard. A most definite increase in volume and depth of tone and resonance - should be called a Timbre Enhancer!

Londy - I can't fit my Northfield F5S in its original case with...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone-Gard Love!!!

I have two. for one mandolin it fit just fine in its case with the tone-gard. For the other, it did not, and so I kept the mandolin out with the tone-gard on until I got another case for it.

I...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: David bowie RIP

It was heartbreaking news to receive this morning. I've found myself tearing up several times today. It is amazing how someone I never met played such an important part in my life. Strange.

I've...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Holiday mandolin goodies?

I have five big triangles in there, including a Wegen TF140, Blue Chip CT55, and Red Bear Big Picker Heavy, and it's not nearly half full.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: New Clark JM Archtop Tenor Guitar

Season's Greetings! An impromptu sample.
    KduEVZ0xhFA
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: New Clark JM Archtop Tenor Guitar

In addition to the extra bling (block fretboard inlay), the instrument has a built in K&K pickup. She plays like butter up and down the neck.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Whats on your Christmas Tree?

I carved this for my wife last year. I wanted to make Santa playing a mandolin, but she doesn't like mandolin (at least how I play it). Since she DOES like when our daughter sings and plays her...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Whats on your Christmas Tree?

Hi Londy, Cool ornament you've got there!
    I'd like to have something like that but I think anything cool or even slightly nice will have to wait another year.
    'What's on my Christmas Tree' this...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Why no Italian genre?

Without Italian, there would be no mandolin!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Julin & Billy Strings parting ways

It has been along time, so let me start with saying I really missed all you mando-people here on the Café. As many of you know, the last few years of my life has been consumed with touring with an...
  18. Re: At what point do I admit I'm a mandolinist?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/b0/d6/0e/b0d60e33d5594bd1466f03ace96c02f8.jpg
  19. Spending a Snowy Saturday at my Favorite Cafe

Our first snow in Columbia MO. Spending it drinking coffee at my favorite cafe.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are we all going with recorded music?

Let me add something about CD sales trends. We currently have a warehouse the size of half a football field that is packed floor to ceiling with CDs that we distribute. It is a huge inventory...
  21. Re: Where are we all going with recorded music?

I have always committed myself to total amateurship in order to keep my musical mind clear of economic undergrowth (coming to think of it, that's more or less what Mozart tried and went bust :grin:)....
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are we all going with recorded music?

I work for an extremely successful music distribution company that includes hundreds of record labels with music in multiple genres. Our company management keeps us in the loop about industry trends...
  23. Re: Is a Tenor guitar tuned to GDAE actually a Tenor?

This chart purports to show the ranges for the human voice and numerous instruments. The tenor guitar is tuned the same as mandola and viola, which is indicated. Hopefully this will help.

It's...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: New Gig: Restaurant Mandolinist

OK Guys!

Quick report before I finish my lasagna:

Went over quite well, the hostess said she got a lot of compliments about the music, I did songs suggested here (I'll give specifics later) and...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: You Newbies Have It Made

Interviewer: "Well, Grandpa, congratulations on turning 100 today! Bet you've seen a lot of changes in your time!"

Grandpa: "Yeah, and I was agin every one of 'em!"

Best change since I started...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4