Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this good for braces?

I am a young builder.......but a very respected building mentor told me once if you want the best pieces to use for tone bars, you cant just cut a couple out of one piece of wood or only order 2. To...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: How to pack an instrument for shipping

Funny story........When I was moving from Guam back to the US, the movers didn't have anymore packing material left and I didnt want it to get delayed, so I put my Martin case in a larger box and...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Instaalling frets on a new build

I am a newish builder, but I do the frets first before gluing it on.....particularly because I dont want to press or hammer frets and risk the instrument taking the stress, especially if you have an...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins too twangy

My first couple mandolins had little tone and were twangy, mostly due to my nervousness about carving the back and tops correctly. I left them way too thick. I read Siminoff's suggestion about...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: First build with James Condino

You certainly picked the right guy to learn from!!
  6. Re: 1917 Gibson A2 mandolin original tuning mechines gear slop

I have '23 A Junior that I restored (got it in 4 pieces) The machines were more than pretty sloppy....Like you I didn't want to taint it with replacement ones. However, I also wanted to play it. I...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Scary loud bang when raising bridge

I had a similar thing happen to mandolin no.1, I heard a very uncomfortable crack and then found the saddle in two pieces......parted like the red sea.....except with a crack. I had made the saddle...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Building & Learning

196203196204196205Sorry for the confusion, here they are for real!
  9. Replies
    Views

Building & Learning

Last year I embarked on a journey to learn how to build mandolins. This past week, I finished my first mandolin and am right proud of it. However, I didn't get here by myself. James Condino...