Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Buckeye Brand Mandolin

I don't know about the old original Buckeye brand mandolins...but the F-5 copies that are Buckeyes are wonderful instruments. I know of just a couple and they are fine..If you put up a photo folks...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Lost and found 1916 Gibson F2 - Need input

To keep this discussion on lost and/or stolen mandolins, etc, going.. 1..In (circa) 1970 I had a 1962 model D-18 guitar stolen from my car while I was playing a gig inside (I know, dumb)...Serial...
  3. Thread: Bill Monroe

by D C Blood
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe

Hey there Marvino...I'd venture to say that every one of those hot new young mandolin pickers you're talking about paid their dues sitting in front watching Mr. Monroe and taking notes. And would...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: I still don`t believe it...

Don't panic, Willie...fifty years from now the jam standards will still be Blue Ridge Mt Home, Salty Dog, Blue Moon of Ky, etc...not these new ones with fifteen minor and dim7th chords that ain't "no...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying Above Your Playing Ability?

Oh...and CES from North Carolina, congrats on your Siverangel..I have three, and now, even if I had the money to buy one of the "high dollar" instruments, I wouldn't...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying Above Your Playing Ability?

The instruments available today, as compared to those available back when I began to play (early 60s) are so much better...I've had so many parents ask me "I want Junior (substitute any name) to...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: War Veterans and mandolins

Eight years in the Air Force 65-73. 2 1/2 years in Saigon, non-combat (but anyone there was subject to incoming rockets, VC sappers, etc.
    I'd just been playing bluegrass three years when I enlisted....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: The McReynolds Tradition

Bernie, Jesse's son Keith McReynolds, died about ten years ago, after a long fight with MS. They still have a Keith McReynolds Memorial Festival every year, raising money for MS.
  9. Re: Retrieving deposit after deciding not to go ahead

I would think that a deposit for a custom built mandolin (or other) would be like "earnest money" paid to hold a house in a real estate transaction...generally non-refundable, at the discretion of...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe Question

" is my Image of the Man WAY off base?? " Yes...and no. Read Richard Smith's "Can't You Hear Me Calling", to get both sides of Bill Monroe, the Man, The Myth, The Legend...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Big Mon photo

:grin:I reckon I'd be happy if they'd offer me one of the mandolins as a settlement.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: increase mandolin volume

I didn't see any mention of tone guard and arm rest. Those are two accessories that can add volume with their use.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Aria Pro 2 Mandolins

Back in the mid-70s, the band I was in, The Mueller Brothers, became endorsers of the Aria Pro II line of instruments. It was through their importers, a company in Charlotte, NC (can't remember the...
  14. Re: 3 Favorite Mandolin CDs (not by Bill, David, Ricky, Sam & Chr

One that has become a "cult classic" over the years..."Down Yonder" The Country Fiddlers featuring Wade Ray...What the title or the cover doesn't say is that it is Jethro Burns on mando, Homer...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe and Jimmy Martin

The gospel LP "A Voice From On High"...IMHO, best ever of Monroe's music... Sharp, incisive mando breaks, beautiful gospel songs, Martin's driving rhythm guitar runs. This has it all. The quartets...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: New Gibson F-10

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=109&pictureid=900Now why hasn't the new F-7 long neck reissue been mentioned? This was less rare than the F-10, and there were some fine original...
  17. Replies
    Views

Trying to locate old friends

Still trying to locate some old friends of mine. If anybody knows the
    whereabouts of Charlie and Wesley Huffman, originally from Lapel, Indiana,
    moved to Alaska (Fairbanks, I think). Father...
  18. Replies
    Views

more Presto...

more Presto...