Search:

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 A Junior Snakehead: NMD

Congratulations. That looks nice. Call me weird but i like the A shape over the F most of the time.
  2. Re: Best Mandolin for Traveling From Sea Level to High Desert?

I agree with Allen's comments above. A cheap ply instrument is your best bet. The problem with Ovation and other instruments that use a mix of synthetics and wood is the wood moves and the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: NMC looking for info on a "Wilson" guitar

The stamp on the brace makes me think it is a factory guitar.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Scary loud bang when raising bridge

I hope it is just the threads on the adjuster. I would de-tune and inspect the adjuster threads. I would expect visible damage. If not, I would keep the mandolin unstrung and get it to a luthier. ...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Walnut L&H Model A?

Wood identification is always tricky but that doesn't look like walnut to me. The grain is different and the color variation doesn't look right to me either.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: What is a C2 chord?

My theory knowledge is from a classical tonal orientation. So I was tempted to say there is no such thing as a C2 chord. Different nooks and crannies of music evolve their own shorthands. In this...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: String windings on Waverly tuners

I always thought string should wrap down as that helps with break angle over the nut.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave down pedal/chorus pedal question

A touch of chorus cab sound nice on mandolin. I have used octave pedals on guitar and didn't like them. On a mandolin, they will put you in the guitar range which could get muddy as you have a...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: microphone feedback cures

A bit more information would be helpful. What kind of microphone and how is it mounted? How loud are you playing. Were are you in relation to the speakers.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Not exactly Mandolin related....

Glad you found a good source for tubes. That said, if your old tubes were far enough out of spec any in spec tubes will make it sound better.
  11. Thread: Arpeggio's

by Nevin
    Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggio's

Arpeggios are just playing the notes of a chord individually, one after another. From a theory prospective the basic chord (called a triad) are based on scales. Chords are made from every other note...
  12. Thread: Intonation woes

by Nevin
    Replies
    Views

Re: Intonation woes

Nope, just tired and a poor proof reader. Carry on.
  13. Thread: Name that wood

by Nevin
    Replies
    Views

Re: Name that wood

Hardwoods can be divided into ring porous and diffuse porous. It is common to use the analogy of drinking straws for the grain of the wood with the open part of the straws being the pores. In ring...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me it gets easier.

Just a thought. I think proper setup is even more important on mandolin than guitar. Those small strings are under a fair bit more tension and being shorter have less elasticity. A poor setup can...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: reverse music identification

Shazam is good with pop/rock; less good with other genres.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Action high - but why, I cry!

There are a lot of possible causes for a high action, some of which have been mentioned above. Without seeing the mandolin it can be very hard to tell what the cause is. it can be more than one...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Trashy Late Night Mandolin Music!

Well I did once play mandolin until around 3 am with two guitar players but in my defense all my neighbors were away. Given that drinking had occurred it was probably pretty trashy.
  18. Re: Looking for thoughts and opinions about a bowel back mandolin

Welcome to the Cafe. I can't speak to the bowlback as i have no experience with that company. I would say you would be better off getting a good setup on your The Loar. They are solid instruments...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: 4 string or 8 string that's the question....

For me double strung strings is part of the sound and the technique that makes a mandolin a mandolin.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: App for Lyrics and Chords?

Just an FYI, I had a problem in the past with malware being attached to Choridie.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Minimum bench plane size

The general rule for joinery is that a plane can edge join boards up to three times its length, so no problem. As John Kelly said above, a shooting board can be a big help.
  22. Re: How to blend/smooth transition of nitro to bare wood

You could lightly sand it to feather the finish. I would check with whomever is going to do the speed neck before applying any finish.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Heilp ID my The Gibson Mandolin

There are two posts on the same instrument. Maybe a moderator can combine them?
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Help ID my The Gibson Mandolin

That is a nice mandolin.
    There are several Gibson experts who will comment but here is a start. It is one of several "A" models. The "A" refers to the body shape. Different models had different...
  25. Thread: Chord Questions

by Nevin
    Replies
    Views

Re: Chord Questions

Not to cloud the issue further but a lot of what we work with are chord voicings, not just inversions. Much of music theory assumes a piano (or an orchestra). On mandolin we have to use what we can.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4