Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Ideal scale length

CGDA is all I have played on my Blueridge (23") tenor as yet. I broke a few A strings starting out. So I ordered a boatload of my faves from Thomastik as well as some lesser spare As. Haven't broken...
  2. Replies
    Views

Thank You TGG-2023!!

My wife Holly and I really enjoyed the music, the workshops, the concerts, and all of he fun and camaraderie of the Tenor Guitar Foundation's 13th annual Tenor Guitar Gathering held at Astoria,...
  3. Replies
    Views

Thanks for the music Trini Lopez!

Just learned that Trinidad Lopez III passed away on August 11, from complications due to Covid-19. Trini brought songs like Lemon Tree and If I had a Hammer to the masses, with a steady rhythmic...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Doubt about a banjo for Bluegrass

Love that clip that Charles E. posted above. I haven't tried that tuning, but frequently pick a few tunes like Rebecca or Daybreak in Dixie on my tenor guitar tuned CGDA.

Scott
  5. Re: Rough and ready ... quick and dirty, electric conversion.

Very Shapely Fox. Love the layered look as well. I seldom pass up a build thread, especially when there are new approaches to be seen.

Scott
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Gretsch 6127 4 String Duo Jet Tenor Guitar

Sweet! The case is pretty yummy as well. Honey, does this tweed case make me look fat?

Scott
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: 2020 Tenor Guitar Gathering

Nice to see that the word got out early for the 2020 event! I hope to attend and spend a few days along the Columbia River. Thank you for posting M.

Scott
  8. Re: Old Silky and John Lawlor cover "Way Down in the Hole" @ TGG

Great clip, thanks for posting. Hope to make it to the TGG one of these days.

Scott
  9. Re: TGG 10 - John Lawlor plays and sings “Potato Chips” 07/12/20

Thanks for posting... would love to see any other clips from this years TGG.

Scott
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin orange in SLO

Sounds like a great show for sure. I reckon Andrew will get good use of that 'un.

Scott
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Disappointed with the Nashville music scene

Even in Nashville bluegrass is a niche market just like everywhere else. But from my trip in 2016, it seems that the Sunday nite open jam at the Station Inn is very grassy.

Scott
  12. Thread: Ellis A5?

by Grommet
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis A5?

Doug, you will get so much more out of the process if you will make the journey to a fine instrument dealer and try the Ellis, Northfield, Kimball, Sorenson, Heiden, Collings, or other great builds...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Joe Crookston and Peter Glanville

Thanks for posting that Cornfield. Great vocal harmonies and guitar counterpoint.

Scott
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Southern Twang and Building Licks

Kellie, It would be ever so much more fun if you would point us to a sample or clip or to a particular artist/song showing us what you mean by twang, then perhaps we could offer some suggestions....
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: My 1940 Kalamazoo "Oriole"

Nicely turned out! I love the slightly bigger guard on that shape. Like a mini-jumbo thang. Please post us a sound clip if you can!

Scott
  16. Re: SWEET GEORGIA BROWN chord melody...from Aaron Weinstein

Dynamite Aaron! Thanks for sharing this.

Scott
  17. Poll: Re: Grammys Cede Best Bluegrass Album pick to Mandolin Cafe

It's all good.. but I gotta give the nod to Michael Cleveland. He's a fireball for sure!

Scott
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Nava Archtop Mandolin

Looking good Gary!

Scott
  19. Re: Bob Dylan 2016 Nobel Lecture in Literature - NMC

Thanks for posting this Jacob. I think the difficulty of grasping the meaning of the Committee bestowing the Nobel Prize on his work was what he was expressing. Would anyone really expect Bob or...
  20. Re: Question for those who've buffed out a satin finish.....

Jill-
    I buffed out my satin Pava A model, as after a very few days the satin was going shiny where my fingers made contact above the treble F-hole and around the neck. I liked the satin look just...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Helpful inlay advice

Made the same mistake while checking out the back of a shallow cave. I was sure it was a rattler and banged my head on the low ceiling.

Scott
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Voight mandolin lesson series

Nice concept Dan. I have heard angling/tilting the pick forward described a few different ways. Filming from the pickers perspective really showed how this affects the mechanics of picking both the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Passernig #49 Update

Congrats Don! Killer chop for sure. Lot's of pop in the single note stuff. To my ears it sounds just like the Passernig A-style that was on the sound clips on Fiddlers Green, Austin Tx website. That...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: New Tenor in the making.

Looks great, and I am looking forward to hearing your sound clip. I had a friend who had a 1960s era Fender acoustic flat-top guitar that had a tube running through it in similar fashion. Can't...
  25. Re: taking one of Matt Flinners summer intensive classes-some ?

Go for it! I have taken two jazz, two bluegrass and two Summer Intensive classes from Matt, and all were great learning experiences. Love the structure and interaction of the weekly lesson and...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4