Search:

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

Try to find a mandolin that doesn’t have ADHD. ��
  2. Re: Living in Kazakhstan, ready for online course

Matt sometimes gives courses with 2 different time slots to accommodate folks on other continents. His lessons cover a variety of musical genres.
  3. Re: Living in Kazakhstan, ready for online course

So I've taken a few of Matt Flinner's zoom classes, and they've been at 9PM eastern (which is a tough hour for me, not being a night owl). So 10AM for you? Doesn't sound too bad to me, depending on...
  4. Learning a Ronnie McCoury solo everyday for the month of January

Trying a fun little exercise of learning a Ronnie McCoury solo a day. Maybe I underestimated how difficult this would be but let's find out :))

I usually post majority of my videos on social media...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Improving tone.

Sierra Hull has a video about relatively easy steps to improve your tone that don’t depend on practice and experience with techniques that take some time for many to advance tone quality. You’ve...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

I've only had mine for a few months and it's quickly become one of my go to instruments. My avitar is a Girouard 2 point with a cedar top and the Collings is giving it a run for the money. I'm not a...
  7. Thread: Love for Ovals

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

I have played a Collings MTO, trying it out. At Pickers Supply in Fredericksburg VA, if I remember right. I fell in love with it immediately. But alas I had a bit too much impulse control concurrent...
  8. Re: Is it true that Frank Wakefield can talk backwards?

This is talking backwards.

bXMvn78NjB4
  9. Replies
    Views

I prefer the oval over f hole for jazz playing. Much less percussive and makes jazz phrasing much easier to my ear. Plus I like the warm fuller sound.
  10. Replies
    Views

Yes, ovals are a lot of fun. Just picked up this nice Collings MT-O with a gloss top. I'm in the honeymoon phase, but I have a feeling it's a keeper.
  11. Replies
    Views

Count me in, I love the oval sound. '24 A Jr and and Collings MT2-O here. Owned plenty others also. The Gibson is loud and cranky and sonorous and a finicky little thing - a true joy, the pinnacle of...
  12. Replies
    Views

I have played a Collings oval with the hybrid design and also seen on MandoLessons Baron compare his Ellis A5 and Ellis oval. I didn't hear much difference. So, I agree with your assessment of Gibson...
  13. Re: It’s official. Going on tour is not fun. (TicketMaster etc.)

odHAO3oLiCI
  14. Chris Thile Camp thread...

Regarding my post in the thread about Chris Thile's Camp, I would like to apologize to those who thought my info about our Mando & Banjo Week was self-aggrandizement.

I thought that my signature...
  15. Re: Chris Thile Acoustic Music Camp just announced

Until we hear reports of how Thile’s camp is, I think it will be hard to draw comparisons. He is going for the boutique Thile camp experience. In what seems like a very nice, cool, intimate setting...
  16. Re: Chris Thile Acoustic Music Camp just announced

With Thile's Camp fees at $2499-$4699, Mando & Banjo Week at the Swannanoa Gathering is a real bargain.

Staff: Mike Marshall, Alan Bibey, John Reischman, Don Stiernberg, Matt Flinner, Radim Zenkl,...
  17. Re: Chris Thile Acoustic Music Camp just announced

The Mar-A-Lago for mandolinists... brilliant!
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman or Northfield Opinions

Both made in China, no? One company likely pays its craftsman more than the other. You do get what you pay for
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Unusual Instrument at a Jam

Perhaps Ottawa's weird, but no one but a newcomer would be surprised to see highland or uileann pipes at a Celtic jam. Accordions of many types play at jams of differing genres. I've seen didgeridoo...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Study of overtones- Loar, Gil, etc?

I understood what you meant from your earlier post. I have a couple more thoughts regarding that. First, a tonal synthesis is a form of simulation. Simulations depend on parameters previously...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Study of overtones- Loar, Gil, etc?

So, plucked string instruments have a very short onset transient, and the much longer decay transient. Unlike sustaining instruments like oboes, violins, & etc., most of what make a plucked string...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Physics and not-banjos

One short pluck on a banjo and people thousands of miles away cover their ears.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Physics and not-banjos

Well, Cal Tech physicist and physics Nobelist David Politzer DOES play the banjo - and the guitar, and possibly the mandolin (he bought one of my mandolins from Gruhn a while back). He won a share of...
  24. Replies
    Views

Physics and not-banjos

This article jumped out at me in the December issue of Physics Today, a magazine I read but seldom understand in any detail. Arthur Compton was one of the greats, and he is not playing a banjo. I’ve...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite mandolin playing beverage?

If I'm playing in the morning, it's gotta be a cup of tea, in the afternoon water, in the evening whiskey, and in the pub ye can't beat a pint of Guinness.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4