Search:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck shape/feel: "V" vs rounded

If Mandolin Cafe were ever to offer t-shirts for sale V-Neck should certainly be an option.
  2. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

The tone when you tune your mandolin to A-G-E-D?
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

Like all Mandobasses, it suffers in overall volume and projection relative to an double bass, but among mandobasses, it is far superior: both in sound and playability. You can hear it pretty clearly...
  4. Replies
    Views

Quilted Maple Sky

Yesterday evening the sky over my house looked just like the quilted maple on the back of a mandolin. Snapped a quick pic and wanted to share.
    :grin:
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Place to Look for Used Collings

We could public name over a dozen people on Facebook marketplace that will take you to the cleaners so to speak in a heartbeat and have been permanently banned from this site for engaging in that...
  6. Mike Marshall & Darol Anger show on 2/9/24

My DH and I went to this concert Friday night at the Groton Hill Music Center in Groton, Mass. (This is the second show I've seen at this venue, the sound is superb).

Here's a few pictures from...
  7. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Mostly it's origins - there's a lot of articles on this.

My take is here - https://mattcbruno.com/why-i-dont-play-turkey-in-the-straw/

Here's a few others.
  8. Beethoven mandolin pieces on Musescore

I've just noticed that some kind soul ("E.J. Tromp" -- are they a Cafe member?) has uploaded Musescore transcriptions of the four Beethoven pieces for mandolin and harpsichord on Musescore. Even...
  9. Replies
    Views

Busato Art Deco Banjo Mandolin

Not mine, NFI, just thought it gorgeous and y'all might enjoy some eye candy:

https://reverb.com/item/77750501-banjo-mandoline-banjoline-b-busato-decore-art-deco-1930-s-1940-s
  10. Gifted another of my sons an instrument

I am at an age where I can’t play all the instruments I have collected. I have sold a number of them and given each of my three sons various Martins, Nationals and others. It gives me happiness. ...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD... hopefully today!

I am over the moon for this Morris A4! It's so beautiful to look at and listen to... the tone is sweet and warm... sparkle-y highs.

Mr. Howard Morris really does build a wonderful Mandolin :)
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

Interesting set of threads from this user. With all due respect, it reminds me of AI generated content.
    Thoughts on the Newgrass Revival?
    Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSqwpIKRGJQ
    Here’s a video of my buddy Bruce Carveth on English Concertina and me on my Northfield Octave Mandolin playing ‘Monkey on a dog cart’ on the downtown mall...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmas Wish List

I have a gig tomorrow at an art gallery. Playing with friends, banjo, dulcimer, guitar, penny whistle, bones. We are doing Christmas carols interspersed with great fiddle tunes.

Easy gig as we are...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Shane MacGowan has passed (NMC)

RIP Shane. You became part of the holiday season around here.

j9jbdgZidu8
  16. Replies
    Views

Shane MacGowan has passed (NMC)

I saw it in The Irish Times this morning that Shane MacGowan has passed away. He had a fine voice, was a great interpreter of songs and a fine song writer to my way of thinking.I’ll pull out the...
  17. O Holy Night (solo mandolin instrumental)

Here's my latest instrumental mandolin holiday offering: O Holy Night. I thought it would be a fun challenge to try and come up with a solo version of this song that captures the beautiful melody and...
  18. Suite for Ali: Robert Margo, mandola in G: CMSA Open Mic

Here is my performance on mandola in G (a.k.a octave) of Victor Kioulaphides, "Suite For Ali" at the open mic event (November 9, 2023) at the recent CMSA convention in Kansas City. Repeats are...
  19. Replies
    Views

A moment for thanks...

Here's wishing a super, fun, healthy, and family-centric Thanksgiving to all my friends here on MandolinCafe!
    Roger
  20. Thread: Michael Heiden

by tbaum
    Replies
    Views

Michael Heiden

After floundering around for a few years, I dipped into savings and bought a custom mandolin from Michael Heiden in 2017. Other specialty builders had wait times of at least a year, and he told me...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: What kind of hat do I need?

The Pickelhaube is the way to go.
  22. Lyon & Healy with custom replacement 27-fret board

Nice work on this one. I am not sure it's worth $4K given the replacement parts, but it sure looks beautiful!
  23. Re: Stolen Mandolin - Pava A5 in Lafayette, LA

GREAT NEWS! Silas' mandolin has been recovered in Lafayette. It is now there with friends and Silas will have it back very soon. Thank you so much for your help everyone!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Help me spend $10k

I had a cat that would contemplate for a long time before leaving when I opened a door for him. I figure he enjoyed the choice of going in our out so much he did not want to make a decision and...
  25. How I Spent My Summer Vacation... (Bach)

Well, my wife will probably kill me if I play this in her presence one more time, so while she's out running some errand I'll share where I've got to with a ridiculous amount of playing/practice on...
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4