Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

A la Russe

Dear mandolin friends around the world,

I am delighted to share with you a most wonderful performance of my Samovar, a concert-piece written in the turn-of-the-century a la Russe style, by Het...
  2. Replies
    Views

Flamekeeper Documentary on Amazon!

All,

Just wanted you to know that a fantastic documentary on Michael Cleveland is out on Amazon for rent or purchase. NFI on my part, but I was so humbled and amazed by his story. Lots of...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlbacks of Note

Hey Dan:
    I think it is made by or for Lyon & Healy but probably one of the budget lines at best American Conservatory but likelier wholesaled out for retailers. Pickguard is very similar in shape...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Rondo Galante

Very happy to hear that, Dan. It is my greatest gratification as a composer to know that my little piece has put a smile on my friends' faces. :):mandosmiley:

I have also replied to your private...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar players too?

I play mostly mandolin, a little guitar and that relatively recently.

My impression is that both are about equally difficult to play well. But the mandolin makes so much more sense. To my...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar players too?

My guess is that you would find many more guitar players than not among the forum members. Culturally, guitar is the instrument that young people have taken up, and is the most common gateway drug...
  7. Replies
    Views

Asturias - Isaac Albeniz

Asturias a.k.a. Leyenda, as played by the Kerman Quartet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwdEl1gXe-8
  8. Re: Oulu Mandolin Orchestra plays Requerdos de la Alhambra

Sorry, I may have only second mandolin part. Howard Frye was arranger I think.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian - German Mandolin Technique

Although it is true that the majority of German classical mandolinists use Seiffert-style instruments that have "a little wider fretboard", with flatwound strings, and the Wolle pick, these physical...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Ipad Music Readers

There's a more recent thread, Sheet Music on a Tablet, last post April 2016 (thread started January 2015), where several people talk about iPads as well as other types of tablets, and the software...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: How to make your child not succeed at music

Dan Cohen's experience above reflect my own. I imagine there are more than a few guitar/mandolin/banjo players out there who made the switch to something else because of a less-than-joyful experience...
  12. Replies
    Views

O Come O Come Emmanuel

Finished recording and making a video of this classic Advent hymn. Instrumentation is as follows:

Weber Yellowstone Octave Mandolin playing the tune
    Brook- custom Tavy in CGCGCD (yew back and...
  13. Thread: Thile lesson

by Chris W.
    Replies
    Views

Thile lesson

http://youtu.be/IdhVC0DzfFY
  14. William Corkine (1612): Three Madrigals, mandolin/mandocello duet

William Corkine (1612):
    1. Go Heavy Thoughts
    2. Tis True, Tis Day
    3. My Dearest Mistress

These are three short madrigals by the English composer and lutenist William Corkine, from his 1612...
  15. Replies
    Views

12 Easy Duos (de Bériot, Op. 87)

Charles Auguste de Bériot (1802-1870):
    "Douze petits duos faciles", Op. 87, No. 7

This is No. 7 of the "12 Easy Duos" for two violins, which I found in an old scan on IMSLP (Link). This is a...
  16. Replies
    Views

All - I have posted on my little mando web...

All -

I have posted on my little mando web site (http://mando.tauxe.net) a new resource that I hope some will find useful. I have at long last completed the drafting up of my collection of mando...