Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Your joinery is indistinguishable from perfect, John, at least in a photo on the internet. I'm trying to imagine me having to lay out that joint and it blows all the geometry circuits in my head.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

Personally, memorization is how I roll. I've never perceived it as a problem . . . although it has contributed to my not reading well. But as Doc once said, "not enough to bother my pickin'"
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

One thing that may help you relax is understanding that mistakes happen to everybody, they go by quickly, and should be forgotten quickly. Try to learn to let 'em go by with a laugh and focus on...
  4. Re: Browns Ferry Blues-posted today, loaded with living icons

Pretty cool, right down to the Jimmy Martin ending!
  5. Thread: RIP Tom Smothers

by tree
    Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tom Smothers

One of the best Christmas gifts I received in recent years is a DVD of old Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour shows. Their comedic timing and delivery was impeccable, and they had the brass to speak truth...
  6. Thread: Thermalwood

by tree
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thermalwood

American persimmon is a native North American species in the same genus as ebony, with a slightly lower Janka hardness. I would think if it could be successfully "ebonized" it would make a more...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Tunes that lend themselves to tremolo

Hymn tunes. I sometimes play a hymn tune as a prelude to the service and it almost always requires me to play some (often a LOT) of tremolo. If fact, it has been the single most consistent source of...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Second chord in Old Home Place

My guess is that different people hear different things and sometimes that comes through when they cover a song.

For example, when Emmy Lou covered The Boxer she sang (and I believe printed in...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Bussman passes

I never had the privilege of meeting him in person but dang, I sorta felt like I knew him a little bit from reading his posts on this forum. I always wanted to be like him when I grow up - he seemed...
  10. Thread: Epifanes

by tree
    Replies
    Views

Re: Epifanes

This is what I use to store oil and varnish finishes, from Lee Valley, same principle as box wine bladder. NFI

11. Replies
    Views

Re: Old photos - a hodgepodge of musicians - folkies +

I've always been enamored of the guitar tone in that song. I would love to know exactly what guitar and rig (with all the settings) produced that sound.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: 1930s F4 "Special" with an F5 neck

If it plays and sounds good, that's what I'd care more about than looks or rarity. YMMV
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Old photos - a hodgepodge of musicians - folkies +

[QUOTE=Mark Gunter;1892443]

Who's on mandolin? Mark O'Conner? I know Jerry Garcia and Janis Joplin, who else do you recognize here? Kind of looks like Frank Zappa hunched over in the back, who...
  14. Replies
    Views

Next time you do that, James, save it to bring to RF and casually toss on the campfire - I'm sure the reactions would be priceless!
  15. Thread: Mando vibro?

by tree
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mando vibro?

I do vibrato on mandolin the same way I do on guitar - rotating my wrist in alternating directions around the pivot point of the noting finger.

Although on mandolin the technique is constrained...
  16. Replies
    Views

Trees have the capability to optimize the location of xylem cells in response to a load (wind, gravity, etc). For example, a branch growing off the main trunk has a constant load of gravity acting...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Carolina Quartet & Persimmon fittings

What's the blue strip in the binding? Gorgeous work, beautiful woods. What a cool project!
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Changing pick hold

Wayne hit the nail on the head when he said you have to commit to it.

I committed to changing my pick grip about 20 years ago, when I was trying to learn to flatpick guitar and use heavy picks,...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Dark trails appeared on the neck of my mandolin

I admittedly have no practical experience with tropical hardwoods, but here is my take on the difference between "sap" and "resin":

Sap is basically free water plus whatever compounds are...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Dark trails appeared on the neck of my mandolin

So it looks like the neck is mahogany, and the instrument is 7 (or more) years old.

I think the age is enough to eliminate the possibility of insect activity, since these types of insects won't...
  21. Re: bluegrass listening to understand and learn the mandolin

Keep in mind that you can steal or borrow from all the other instruments in BG as well. Don't limit yourself to listening only to the mandolin. Lots and lots of ideas available from fiddle, guitar,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Dang James, that's so beautiful and outside the box maybe it should be on the outside of the back!
  23. Re: Contemporary Christian Music with Mandolin Solo???

I didn't read anything that should cause anyone to be offended, nor did I read offense in DavidKOS's response above.

I'm extraordinarily fortunate to be a choir member for a director who not only...
  24. Re: Contemporary Christian Music with Mandolin Solo???

The hymn book is full of good old melodies that most folks are familiar with, complete with 4 part harmony.

I play out of it a lot (by ear, I can read notation but it's so much faster for me to...
  25. Thread: Dove Tail Joint

by tree
    Replies
    Views

Re: Dove Tail Joint

Western saws are tedious to sharpen, but it's a useful skill to develop because it's difficult (at least it has been for me) to find anyone else who does the job well, and once you try it and have...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4