Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How's She Lookin' Now?

What a beauty! The headstock would be a plus point for me. It's an honest, and fairly common break.
    Glad to see some Handel tuners in action.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Fretless mandolin?

I like it. Soothing indeed.

I am utterly ignorant of the proper terminology and forms of various folk music forms ranging from the middle to far east, but to my novice ears this recording seems...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tristan Scroggins on Eastwood Electrics

Thanks for sharing those Scott! Those Eastwood electrics are intriguing to a lot of us. It's good to see product demo's done by someone who actually a recognized player. Tristan did a wonderful...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Bevel on a mandolin

I have a couple of mandolins that are not bound and are very comfortable in this regard.

I lifted a photo of a Weber Gallatin from Cafe sponsor The Mandolin Store that shows the smooooooth...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Clown Barf Construction

I believe there is an added ingredient. They are multi-colored celluloid that is bound with a substance(?) called Mojotone.

It was a byproduct of the Staten Island Project (down the hall from...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: A recent pair of tenor guitars

That banjo head is really neat! I like the looks.
  7. Re: Octave mandolin advantages for an established guitar player?

Straight away strumming with guitar and octave mandolin is a dead end for me. Find other things to do with the instrument. Here's an example of using the low strings as a percussive drone. In a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Trashy Late Night Mandolin Music!

Tonight could be the night for music and mayhem!

On August 5, 1890, a Lawrence, Kansas newspaper reported late night trashy mandolin music being played in the downtown park.

On this 131st...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 4 string or 8 string that's the question....

I consider the 8 string to be the "true mandolin." The double courses are a necessary part of what defines the family of instruments.

Four stringers have their place in specialty applications...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Strumming like guitar?

Good grief. Why would the player of any stringed instrument choose to not use one of the fundamental techniques of playing a stringed instrument?
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman 515V vs Collings MT

I read this thread before the blind test, so I went in knowing which was which. To my ears, you have two very nice sounding mandolins! Your Eastman proves (once again) that they are not just...
  12. Re: Two more Piccolo Mandolins- Cherry and Black Walnut

I love the color on that cherry! Great work.
  13. Re: Article: Bluegrass Pride Month Celebration - an Interview wit

Thank you for highlighting this important topic. I've always believed music, whether making it or hearing it, should be as inclusive as possible. A big tip of the hat to the Cafe for sponsoring...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Electric mandolin - who's interesting?

Tremendous!
  15. Thread: Poor Old F2!

by trodgers
    Replies
    Views

Re: Poor Old F2!

I find this mandolin charming. It has 100+ years of tales to tell.

People bellyache about faux-distressed instruments not being the 'real deal.' Folks, this is about as real as it gets. ...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: New Chris Thile album

I have a ton of respect for artists, like Thile, who can take the pre-supposed ideas of music and push them out to the next level.

I want music to surprise me. If I wanted the hear the same old...
  17. Replies
    Views

The tuned in 5th's family has been unfairly put into certain little boxes by the general public. Guitar players seem to have no identity crisis going from a classical instrument to a Martinesque...
  18. Replies
    Views

Journeybear, you are my new hero! Love the videos from the Real Malloys. I would dearly love to find a group like that to work with.

Many folks, and sadly this includes many musicians, tend...
  19. Replies
    Views

Here's a cut with Ronny McCoury on a Mandocaster. Subtle, but tasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfjY9QC41dw
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Antiqued/distressed instruments?

Careful now. Remember the patron saint of mandolinists, St. Lloyd Loar, was an accomplished musical saw artist. We wouldn't want to invoke his wrath...

Here is St. Loar's instrument case.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Dr. Arm for Mandolin

Some people use an arm rest and really like it. I say more power to them!

Some people don't use an arm rest and get along fine. I say more power to them!

It's your mandolin. Enjoy.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Does my mandolin sound cheap???

I think your mando sounds just fine. I would agree with the previous posters. Don't be afraid to pick a little harder. It will come along with practice and confidence!
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Capo for an octave

I use a capo quite a bit on my octave. Some keys are just finger busters on the longer scale octave, so I use it to get myself into more friendly positions. I enjoy the opportunities to utilize...
  24. Re: A2 Sold by a Gibson Teacher-Dealer in Canada

Great bit of information about the history and music scene of that era! Thank you for sharing.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Education (trip to Carter's)

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. A visit to a store with more than two mandolins to try seems like a rare treat from where I'm sitting.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3