Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave build question

I always suggest a 22" scale as good compromise between playability and tone. Much shorter and the heavy strings that are needed sound too thuddy and longer makes melodic plays harder. It depends on...
  2. Replies
    Views

My Ashbury Octave Mandola is about 13.5” wide with a 20” scale. So I think you’re in the right ball park. Recommended strings on it are 014/.022w/.032w/.045w. Don’t know how well they would work on a...
  3. Replies
    Views

You'll probably be more limited by what you feel is the optimal bridge position unless you don't care what fret the neck joins the body at. That said, you can do pretty much whatever you want. I'd...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: White #5 is up and running.

Thanks, Jason! It has a Carpathian top which is something that I was first turned on to by one of your mandolin videos. Such a great tone wood. Thanks for the influence!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: F4 preference even in mando ignorance

I wish you good luck on your first F4. I am curious as to your rational for including a virzi? Thanks in advance.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for best deal in $1k - 1,500ish range

THIS looks like a very good deal...USA luthier made, red spruce top, etc. all for $1100

Sloan A5
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: drilling tuner holes

I like to drill a 1/16" pilot hole from the back, and then drill to size from both sides. A Forstner bit a little less than the diameter of the ferrull (is that spelt right?) halfway through from...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: drilling tuner holes

If the peghead is even thickness, drill from either side (be sure to back up the exit surface to prevent "blowout").
    If the peghead is tapered (as Loar and many others have historically been) it is...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: carbon fiber instead of truss rod

On the three necks I have done with CF reinforcement I have used Titebond, making sure the channel for the CF has been routed to a tight fit (as fscotte says above) and the filler strip is clamped...
  10. Replies
    Views

I make my channel so tight that titebond is fine. I have to literally use a clamp to push my CF rod in after I put down a layer of glue. If your channel isn't so tight fitting then maybe a gap...
  11. Replies
    Views

I'm not sure that epoxy is much stronger for bonding wood to wood than are yellow AR glues such as Tightbond. On the other hand, the CF composite bars used for neck stiffening are usually CF/epoxy...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Rib thicknessing

Stephen-

If you decide to fool around with this, there is a trick you can use to enhance your chances of success- chamfer the ends of the rib pieces slightly so that you have a sort of "ramp" for...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Darned Impressive Tremolo Tonight

You mean like this?

taE3_BrBb88
  14. Re: Hutto Heritage Monroe F5 relic - lots of pics

Hi, it's all good, and thanks for the comments so far!

Here's the thing, while selling the guitar on eBay I was contacted by someone stating that the guitar was stolen from his granddaddy nearly...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Headstocks, just headstocks

Couldn't resist the temptation any longer - the most iconic mandolin headstock ever,
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Headstocks, just headstocks

oh, i thought it said headstuck. '55 father of toilet seat, '06 F-4 torch and wire, '30's F-7 and...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Lots of Ellis Mandolins for sale

I think it is impossible to generalize any market wisdom based on our observed trends in the Classifieds or our own unscientific observations.

When a particular quality mandolin cannot be found...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Sloan F-5 mandolin......finally!!

That is one of the most beautiful finishes I've ever seen.
  19. Replies
    Views

I had an opportunity to play the Mando Jason Built last weekend. The mandolin sounds great with the first set of strings. If it sounds good now , I can only imagine what it will sound like in 6...
  20. Replies
    Views

Cool! Look forward to hearing it!

Steve
  21. Replies
    Views

Congratulations on the build. You should be proud of the accomplishment!

Jamie
  22. Replies
    Views

very nice ... must be rewarding to produce such musical art. My woodworking is such that birds are embarrassed to live in the birdhouses I make...
  23. Replies
    Views

nice looking instrument! If i had a cabinet maker's skill, i'd love to try my hand on one. I would probably end up fingerless
  24. Replies
    Views

J.Sloan that's a real pretty mando you got yourself there! Your work looks really neat and clean too. I love alot of bass in my mando, does that baby got alot of bass in it?? Oh yeah, pic's are...
  25. Replies
    Views

Congratulations... you are a braver man than I! it would be nice if you could post larger images so we can all see.