Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Thile and Clay Hess Hotel Jamming Video from 2000 IBMA

The poor guy is a lightning rod for criticism. The bluegrass purists hated his "shredding", now some folks wish he would play MORE notes. And now Nickel Creek isn't Nickel Creek enough? Sometimes,...
  2. Re: bluegrass listening to understand and learn the mandolin

The Skaggs/Rice album is essential. The songs aren't hard driving bluegrass so it may be easier to attempt to play along.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Random mandolin sightings

Watching Rhapsody in Blue. The Gershwin biopic. Just saw someone playing what appeared to be a Lyon and Healy during"Somebody Loves Me". At the end of the solo he just slid it across the floor!!...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: What's in your case?

A receipt from the original owner's purchase from Elderly, a Big Boy keychain they left there and a penny matching the year of manufacture. And the usual, needle nose pliers, picks, humidifier....
  5. Re: Just for fun and interest - favourite acoustic tones

It's so seldom Lee Rocker and Edgar Meyer show up in the same sentence.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: If You Don't Perform In Public....

I much prefer the company of a fine mandolin over the public.
  7. Re: Played a Loar F5 for the first time and met Mike Compton

Now sign up for this year's Monroe Mandolin Camp and get a one on one lesson. You won't regret it. September is right around the corner!
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Flamekeeper Documentary on Amazon!

Thank you so much for this. What a great way to spend a Sunday morning.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD-315 for Christmas! Woohoo!

You were right to post it here. Few people at work want to hear us ramble on about a Christmas present. Forum readers are just as excited as you are for a new mandolin story. Great wife, great...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Recommendations for 2019?

The Monroe Mandolin Camp! Beautiful setting, great instructors.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: When Did You First Realize . . .

It's just like golf, hundreds of bad shots surrounding a few good ones. But I keep coming back remembering the few times I get it right.
  12. Re: Other primitive, raw mandolin music like early Bill Monroe?

Don't want to hijack this thread, but maybe an ancillary one to this might be: How do you learn to PLAY raw earthy mandolin in the tradition of early Monroe and those cited above?

Well,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Instruments, Cost & the Placebo Effect

Visited Carter's in September and played an Old Wave oval. While mandolins never "speak" to me I'm fairly certain it mumbled something, and I continued to visit their site and stare at all seven...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Monroe Mandolin Camp, 1st time.

Okay...
    Skip Gorman again on Saturday morning. 75 minutes focusing on "Watson's Blues". Had never played with a recording, always played it in D. Most of you probably know it's in E. Thursday's...
  15. Replies
    Views

Really? This could take some time.
    Arrived Wednesday and even for the navigationally challenged very easy to find. Less than two miles from 65. The Scarritt Bennett Center is a beautiful, small...
  16. Replies
    Views

What a great time. So many unforgettable moments. Glen Duncan's Monroe memories, THE Paul Duff working on MY mandolin, all the instructors especially Mark Royal, and not an aloof person in the bunch....
  17. Thread: Danilo Brito

by Tom Hart
    Replies
    Views

Danilo Brito

If you're in NE OH or SE MI Sunday, Brito will be performing at the Toledo Museum of Art at 3PM. Never would of heard of him if not for Mandolin Cafe's MP3 library. Thanks Cafe!
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Dream, Dream, Dream...so what's your list?

A Cohen C# model and an Old Wave oval. These deserve to be played but I could be happy entering a room and just seeing both of these two on display.

No, I'd have to play them.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Purpose for our menageries?

I keep my Antoniotsai double neck to remind me not to drink before looking at Ebay.
  20. Replies
    Views

Birthday gift from my wife. She means well. I'll be fine. Maybe this will be such an eye opener I might change musical direction. Or I find out I love to leave my dogs and family room and venture...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Bad years for Gibson?

Wasn't completely satisfied with the purchase, but after 15 minutes and $15 at our local music store the other day...what a difference. Playability, tone, tuning all so much better.
    Yes, just a few...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Bad years for Gibson?

Time has passed, I'm 58, born in '58 and just had a '58 F-12 delivered today. Too bad I'm still at work.
    God love my wife. Fed Ex gently knocked, left a note and drove away. She hopped in the car...