Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Bach Prelude No 1 in C for Mandolin

This seems like a job for a 10 string! I worked this up in about an hour just to see how it would go and I'm pretty happy with it. Playing is a little rough but I didn't have all day to practice. I...
  2. Thread: Punch brothers

by Ken_P
    Replies
    Views

Re: Punch brothers

For anyone who was hesitant about the title track, this will probably be a welcome relief:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPTl0KWHLJE

No tricky rhythms, no unusual chords, just a great slow...
  3. Thread: Punch brothers

by Ken_P
    Replies
    Views

Re: Punch brothers

What a fascinating arrangement. I liked it at first and it grows on me more every time I go back and listen to it. I can't help but wonder what people who don't know either Norman or Tony's version...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: New Chris Thile album

It's almost a pity he plays mandolin, it seems like that makes it very difficult to connect with the right audience given the critical reception this album seems to be receiving here. Understandably,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Bach Partita 2 Allemande

Fascinating comparing the two, both great. I completely agree, Avi's version is phrased very much the way a modern violinist would do it (makes sense considering that he essentially was trained as a...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording through the Bach Cello Suites

Congrats on completing the whole thing!!! I absolutely love the gigue of the sixth suite, it's so much fun to play. This is probably the movement that you miss the lower string the most, that final...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Sounds I wish would enter my earholes

I played this in college as a violist in the larger of the two orchestras, it was a great experience. I would be happy to learn any of the violin or viola parts if you ever want to put something...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: What Do You Use for Editing Standard Notation

MuseScore works very well for relatively small things. I've done some fairly complex work with it and it handles everything just fine in my experience. I think that's a much better bet than the more...
  9. Re: Playing a collings - what would an "upgrade" really get me?

I have a couple possibly contradictory thoughts on this. I've had a Collings MT2 for about 12 years, it's a great mandolin. I also within the last month got a new mandolin, custom built for me by...
  10. Thread: Moonlight Sonata

by Ken_P
    Replies
    Views

Re: Moonlight Sonata

While there are some Beethoven sonatas that I could conceive of making a solo mandolin arrangement of (I've been toying around with the last movement of the Pathetique for a while now), I don't think...
  11. Replies
    Views

New Brian Dean LaBraid 10-string

I've been an admirer of Brian's work for many years, particularly the wildly original instrument he built for Joe Brent some years back and when I finally decided I wanted my dream mandolin built, he...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

It was indeed a great night. I think the thing that struck me most was that it was really 20+ years of musical evolution on display, at least for Chris (it's his residency at Carnegie, after all)....
  13. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile at Carnegie Hall 11/28/18

I was lucky enough to get to see Chris Thile in the ~250 seat Weill Recital Hall last night where he performed for about an hour and a half totally totally solo. Here's the set list, which I was...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: A New Dean Mandolin!

Absolutely stunning! Brian is hands down my favorite builder working today because I don't know of anyone else who combines his unique designs and exquisite workmanship. I've got one of my own...
  15. Thread: What the

by Ken_P
    Replies
    Views

Re: What the

Thanks for the history lesson! I know Grapelli and Reinhardt, of course, but not Eddie South. I was referring to that group that came specifically out of bluegrass, David Grisman (thanks for the...
  16. Thread: What the

by Ken_P
    Replies
    Views

Re: What the

I've been out of the loop for a while but I have been keeping up with Chris and his work with whatever PHC is called now. I heard this when I first listened to that week's episode and I though it...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Stradivarius, del Gesu and Loar

Put me in the Kerman camp as well. I've heard both Chris and Avi play Bach in a live setting and while they're both tremendous players, I'll take the Kerman every time. This isn't entirely a...
  18. Re: Yo-Yo Ma, Chris Thile, Edgar Meyer new Bach Trios recording

A quick check of the score shows that they're playing the three lines exactly as written, Chris the top, Yo-Yo Ma the middle (you'll see he's way up the neck most of the time the camera is on him)...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning Bach's Chaconne, soliciting tips

That's a very good start! You've got the notes down, and a very nice tone throughout (that looks like a Big Muddy, right?). I have a couple suggestions, maybe of more of a musical nature that might...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: A - the troublesome string (rant)

A good set of flatwound strings with wound As solve all those problems beautifully, and they sound great!
  21. Replies
    Views

Avi Avital at Carnegie Hall

Avi gave an amazing performance in the recital hall at Carnegie last night! Great playing, great program, great sound. It's not often you get to hear any acoustic instrument completely unamplified,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Avi Avital Between Worlds

Giving the new album a first listen and loving it so far! Something strange, though - the track listing seems to be different depending on where you order. I got it from Google, and it has 24 tracks,...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Re-fretted my Gibson with Bigger Wire

Forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question, but is there any reason you couldn't use different sized frets on the same mandolin? I love the big frets on my Collings, at least until fret 12-15...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Round wound VS flat wound

Funny, I actually thought the J74's were better, but only because of the style he was playing in. I certainly heard the characteristics in the TI's that make the jazz and classical players prefer...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Round wound VS flat wound

I largely agree with Larry regarding the FWs. I was using J74 before those, and while there is definately a difference in sound, it's not all that dramatic. You just trade a little of the brightness...
Page 1 of 2 1 2