Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Restoring a Gibson Alrite

Regluing the back
    I made a tight-fitting collar from plywood, using the back as a template. I cut some nicks in it so that I could insert small wedges. These are to press the sides in so...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: KM-160 w/o truss rod

+1.

With eBay, it's good practice to ask questions regardless of whether you need the answer - let's you know who you're dealing with.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: chords chords chords, learning chords.

Chopping is only for bluegrass and bluegrass variants. My rule is that if it ain't bluegrass, don't chop.

The four finger chords are kind of optimized for bluegrass, I guess, but have application...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: chords chords chords, learning chords.

A lot of advice given here, I have to chime in, even though mine may be the least popular response, it bears writing it, because I believe it's the truth of the matter. This response applies to both...
  5. Replies
    Views

Gibson mandocello repair or refinish

I bought a very playable 1911 K2 for a low price, realizing that, at a minimum, it would need to be refinished—it had been refinished (or, rather, painted/stained/oversprayed, possibly twice, with no...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Ugly Gibson mandolin in the classifieds

I think there is among some of us a sentimental attachment to orphaned and mistreated animals… er… mandolins. This obviously goes against any rational thinking. Yeah, you can always get the...
  7. Replies
    Views

An open letter to Classifieds users

I'm typically not one to engage in open letters to the community, but something has been gnawing at my brain for a very long time. A few days ago I was contacted by a buyer with a question regarding...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Friend's guitar :o

That break will be stronger than new with properly applied hot hide glue. You may still need some sort of caul or apparatus. The glue will act as a lubricant, and the joint could move when clamped.
  9. Replies
    Views

I've been doing it. Just finishing up a banjo neck repair. It's not hard, and the FRETS tutorial is excellent.

YES on the cauls unless it is absolutely flat, which is to say top and bottom are...
  10. Replies
    Views

That's an easy one.

Crack runs with the grain, just glue (hide /fish or title bond type 1) and clamp. one clamp each side of the headstock will be sufficient.

Cross grain cracked headstocks...
  11. Replies
    Views

My first arch top, in the white

Well, it's time for me to move on to Colorado. It's been great having my little closet/shop here in the RV park near Austin. I just gotta show what I got done!
    Carving the plates turned out to...
  12. Replies
    Views

first carved mandos

my first atempt at carved top and back englman spruce maple back and sides
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Neutralising Vinegar?

acetic acid (in vinegar) is volatile and will evaporate with a little time.
    If you can't smell it, it's gone.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: The "Lost My Blue Chip" Blues

I lost a BC and just about disassembled the house looking for it. Thought about getting one of those BC pick holders and attaching it to my key ring, but decided that's not a good idea as I don't...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: In case or on stand?

Tell that to the person who plays the piano.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: The "Lost My Blue Chip" Blues

Just how good a buddy is your buddy? Hmmm? Years ago I lost a turtle pick at a friends house during practice. There was much searching, even moving the refrigerator. It has never shown up, at...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: dovetail neck joint

I don't know if this helps but everyone should see it because it's so beautiful. From Jamie Wiens.
  18. Replies
    Views

I'm not understanding what your saying but I think it's all wrong.
    But, I think you are seeing what appears to be a curve in the body based on how the neck edge looks when installed. This is an...
  19. Re: "Mounting holes" for the bridge on an old mandolin

That looks familiar.
  20. Replies
    Views

There is a Gibson shop tour on frets.com where their way is shown. Look for Opry Mills tour or something like that.
    I do it all by hand adn need no power tools. After assembly of rim I draw...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: banjolin or banjolele?

Ninety-nine percent sure it's a ukulele-banjo, or "banjo uke." If you know the scale length, that would cinch the ID.

"Melody banjos," which were short-scale four-string instruments strung with...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Crack Repair

It is all too easy to make matters worse by trying to make them better. If your mandolin sounds good then I suggest you play it and let the old crack be. That is an OLD crack with some ancient...
  23. Thread: Crack Repair

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Crack Repair

For a proper repair, all old glue must be cleaned out, the fit must be made good by whatever mean necessary, whether that is closing the crack, loosening the brace and closing the crack, adding a...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Finish removal

Great!
    I've been finishing instruments professionally for nearly 30 years and I haven't gotten one perfect yet.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Early 20th century tonewood

The machine age, really starting about 1830 and the ability to produce in mass cheap veneers changed the game for instrument builders. Martin Guitars starting in 1833 was not a coincidence! Anybody...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3