Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Renaissance lute and baroque guitar I've built

Jo, you do such beautiful work! And you build them so quickly! Are the back and sides on the baroque guitar sycamore? They sure look like it.
  2. Re: Very sad - Topanga Banjo Fiddle site burned down in the fires

This was just sent out by the Topanga folks:

"As you may have heard, Old Town in Paramount Ranch was severely damaged. The Topanga Banjo*Fiddle Contest and Folk Festival has used this venue for...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Straight Up Stings - Review and Question

I've got them on my '99 Flatiron Festival. They sound much better than the J-75s which were my old favorites. I've been using them for a couple of years now.

I haven't had the tuning issues, but...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Support you Local Lumberyard

Thanks for the tip, Marty! Very good to know.

And thanks Mark!
    I think curly maple when it's been stained and finished looks like a pond of honey with a breeze blowing across it.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Support you Local Lumberyard

I built this tenor uke from a maple board I found at Home Depot last year. I don't feel too bad learning on relatively cheap big box store wood.

6. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Thanks David. It was such beautiful wood, but I only had a small piece. It ended up being just enough for a soprano uke. I hope you'll post pics of your curly walnut guitar when you start building it.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

171431 171434 171435

Curly walnut back and sides, red spruce soundboard, Brazilian cherry fretboard, mahogany neck soprano ukulele, with Gotoh planetary tuners. Just finished. Sorry, I messed up...
  8. Thread: Once owned by

by SGraham
    Replies
    Views

Re: Once owned by

This doesn't exactly respond to Br1ck's original post, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway. Last summer I came across an 1891 Martin 1-21 with its original coffin case on consignment in an antique...
  9. Re: 2000 flatiron festival f5 truss rod might need changing

That's the thread! Thank you; that was kindly done.
  10. Re: 2000 flatiron festival f5 truss rod might need changing

I have a '99 Festival that had a similar problem. The neck wouldn't respond to truss rod adjustments. I posted on this problem here a long time ago. It turns out that the builder had sanded right...
  11. Thread: Trust yourself

by SGraham
    Replies
    Views

Re: Trust yourself

This very thing happened to me last August with an 1891 Martin 1-21. When I first plucked a chord the sensation was very similar to what I felt the first time I saw my wife walk into the room. She...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage photo of a Stradolin

G7, I think.
  13. Replies
    Views

New Forster Session King Tenor

I've been wanting a tenor guitar that can hold its own alongside other instruments in an acoustic, unamplified setting. I have a loud, sort of strident 1938 Capital (Gibson "B" brand) archtop that...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: I am now full time

Thanks for sharing, Barry. We're all cheering for you.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Session King tenor guitar

This one will be coming my way soon. I'm beside myself with anticipation!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Hearing Aids for Mandolin Players

I've got the Oticon Alta2 Pro Ti. Over several sessions, I brought in a ukulele and a mandolin and played them while my hearing aid doctor tried to get the aids dialed in. I was very unhappy with the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins Are For the Birds!

Thanks for sharing that, Emmett. That's very cool. I once was picking my mandolin in the garage with the door open when a little bird (black phoebe) came and landed on my drillpress table and started...
  18. Thread: Martin O17-T?

by SGraham
    Replies
    Views

Re: Martin O17-T?

Thanks, Chip. I haven't heard it yet, and I can hardly wait. I agree about the CGDA tuning, especially when you're playing with another guitar. Octave mandolin tuning puts you right in the same range...
  19. Thread: Martin O17-T?

by SGraham
    Replies
    Views

They would, Charley, but I took off the old Klusons just now and hit the them lightly on my polishing wheel and they cleaned right up. They still seem to work well, so I think I'm just going to give...
  20. Thread: Martin O17-T?

by SGraham
    Replies
    Views

I drove out to Venice Beach to see the O17 T and ended up buying it. I had a delightful time visiting with the family of the original owner who passed away a few years ago at the age of 107. He...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Be careful to whom you loan your instruments

This reminds me of my freshmen English students when Titanic first came out: "Hey mister, how come that lady threw that diamond off the ship? Why didn't the director stop her? Can they go down and...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: ticks at festivals....

I live in So Cal and never saw a tick until I took a walk in the woods once in North Carolina. It was way up on my back and I was convinced it had dropped on me from a tree. While we don't seem to...
  23. Thread: Hearing aids?

by SGraham
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hearing aids?

Thanks for the kind words, Dan, and thanks everyone for the discussion on this. I went ahead and got my hearing aids back in November. They are very small Oticon over-the-ear aids and have 5...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you play a "dark" vs. "brighter" tone?

I use a rest stroke for a darker tone.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: To assemble or buy cheap

Building your own instrument is absolutely absorbing. You will build the thing a hundred times in your head during the process of building it on your bench. It can lead in unanticipated directions...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3