Search:

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: James tailpiece engraving

Just got off the phone with Bill James (nice guy!) and he's doing the engraving and sending it my way.
  2. Replies
    Views

Did My Own Speed Neck

I'm not much of a woodworker kind of guy. The only power tools I've owned are a drill & a small circular saw. But I acquired a Northfield with some of the finish on the neck worn off. The previous...
  3. Re: Crossrock combination case for mandolin and violin

I put a 1919 Gibson A4 with a tone-gard and strap in mine and it fit fine.
  4. Re: Crossrock combination case for mandolin and violin

I concur with your post about the Crossrock combo case, which I also have. However I disagree that it’s expensive when compared to what you’d spend for Calton or other similar cases. Basically it’s...
  5. Re: What have I got here-is this old mandolihomemade or by a buil

Thanks to yov, I now have a clve.
  6. Re: Crossrock combination case for mandolin and violin

That is a great case. Congratulations on your purchase.
  7. Re: What have I got here-is this old mandolihomemade or by a buil

SOVL:

A "misspelling" of the word "soul" derived from 4chan.

Related to the "return to tradition" meme because of its replacing the letter u with v, as was done in written ancient Latin during...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

In fairness, I think she was being specific about the sustain.

I think it sounds very good, so far I'm glad I jumped on the initial offer.
  9. Radial Tonebone PZ-Pro vs. EBS Stanley Clarke preamp pedals

I had a chance recently to compare and contrast two 2-channel acoustic preamp pedal units, the Radial Tonebone PZ-Pro and the EBS Stanley Clarke Signature Acoustic Preamp. Both are aimed at acoustic...
  10. Re: Eastman MD315, broken pin on tailpiece

This is an unfortunately common problem with the Eastman cast tailpiece. They are cast aluminum and the steel strings, especially the narrow E strings eventually cut trough them. Yes Eastman is great...
  11. The Beatles: In My Life (solo mandolin instrumental)

It's been a while since my last Beatles arrangement. Here's what I came up with the other day for their song "In My Life."

I did all the past Beatles arrangements on mandola, but for some reason...
  12. Replies
    Views

A quick mandolin strap

I made this strap a couple weeks ago - took about an hour not counting the time for the dye to dry. The main strap is 2.5 oz vegtan leather, and the headstock piece is 1.5 oz, sewn on the main strap....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Distressed Mandolin and Regular Playing

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned in 'natural relicing' is the acid content of people's sweat. Rory Gallagher and Stevie Ray Vaughn literally burned the finish off their stratocasters....
  14. Replies
    Views

Not a big Eastman fan here, and I'm ambivalent re the whole 'relic-ing' thing. I have to say though that you did a really nice job on that 315 Doug.
  15. Replies
    Views

Looks believable to me, Doug! Good job!
  16. Replies
    Views

I applaud your efforts if only for the improvement over the "blotchy" finish!
  17. Watchhouse (formerly Mandolin Orange) has new duo recording

They aren't all mandolin tunes, but you're likely to enjoy Andrew and Emily's newly released stripped-down versions of their year-old Watchhouse recordings.

https://watchhouseband.com/

I'm sure...
  18. Darren Nicholson on obtaining his Lloyd Loar F-5

This is a pretty cool story...

p4gFdwJljKw
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: tree poaching / instruments

Bruce has many links on his Orcas Island Tonewoods Facebook page to these stories.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: My banjo killer (is not a mandolin)

Really? They're pretty easy to wound - their skins are quite vulnerable - which most of the time is good enough. :whistling: But yeah, perhaps actually killing them ... They do seem to propagate all...
  21. Replies
    Views

Don't be silly. You can't kill a banjo.
  22. Replies
    Views

My banjo killer is a mandolin! :) It's a teens Gibson A, and holy wow it's got some volume. Actually, I've got two of them - one's in the shop, and we should be reuniting in a month or so - and both...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Randy Wood Two-Point at Carter's

That mandolin has appeared on the Cafe before, though not in a setting for sale. See photo below from the interview we did with Roland in 2010. Below the photo in the article is this information -...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin world vs fiddle world

When I was a kid playing mostly classical I used Pirastro Eudoxa or Olive Label gut core, they weren't so expensive then. On that fiddle (a nice but weather temperamental 1885 Collin-Mezin) they...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin world vs fiddle world

And bridges. I know several many fiddlers who have flattened their bridge, making it much easier to get some of the three string "high lonesome" harmonies.
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4