Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Always put your instrument in its case...

Nope, banjo players realize that mandolins are the only reason people don't blame tuning lag on stage on the banjo.

:mandosmiley:
  2. Unexpected buy, 12 degrees, day off and a pot of tea

Sold my custom F9 around 3 weeks ago to fund a small business start up. F9 sold here in the classifieds within an hour of posting(thank you MC).
    Shipped it out and the sudden feeling of being...
  3. Always put your instrument in its case...

Unless you're really in a hurry and are coming back real soon. Yes, this did happen, yes, I know the owner and I took the picture. It's a Gibson fern that was signed by Sim Daley. It's a few years...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Pick Samplers recipient list update for January 2018. I've sent a PM to Eric C to check the status of #2.

Sampler I

W. James Johnson - Pending receipt of Sampler #1
    Skaggs2.0

Sampler II
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Ronnie - I think you did. You just add your name to the thread and when it's your turn the current holder of the picks will PM you, get all your details and ship them to you. The only cost to you...
  6. Re: Changing Strings: How to leave before cutting the string

I lock the end under the string tune up to pitch then cut the excess, by locking under the string I don't have to wind even one full round. What is the advantage of two or three winds? My way I put...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Who’s on first

Many tunes can be played by simply placing your index finger on the root and playing the melody using the bluegrass box or pentatonic box of notes - or whatever it's called...try Angeline the Baker,...
  8. Thread: Who’s on first

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

Re: Who’s on first

Learn closed position scales, starting with each finger. Use a metronome and don't increase your speed until you play clean a few times. Then do some scale patterns like 1 2 3 1, 2 3 4 2, 3 4 5 3,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Which Mandolin fits/compares to your Ability ??

Hey, no need to apologize to me! I knew your intent was just good old fashioned discussion. Despite my choice of wording and my bulldog's grumpy face in my avatar, I wasn't upset. :)

But the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: taking a break at the jam

Lots of good comments and suggestions in this thread. In my opinion there is nothing quite like knowing the basic melody of the tune and building from there. This is especially true in bluegrass, but...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Which Mandolin fits/compares to your Ability ??

I sincerely hope that Mr. Gilchrist doesn't think that way. I would hope that he builds his instruments to be enjoyed by anyone who has the money to buy one, and that he's never "disappointed" at...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: John Reischman with his Heiden F5

Very nice. "Balanced and responsive" indeed.
    I admire Heiden's non-burst finishes enough to save this picture from the classifieds in case I ever found myself deciding on how I'd like my next...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: John Reischman with his Heiden F5

From Dave above -"I've always considered it the most beautiful mandolin I've seen or played.". That model of Michael's is certainly one of the lovliest mandolin that i've ever seen. I've had this...
  14. Replies
    Views

John Reischman with his Heiden F5

Here's a link to John playing and giving a description of his wonderful Heiden F5.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis 2 Point ?

There were more 2 points being started when I visited in July.

16. Re: New Gilchrists land at Carter Vintage Guitars

From DataNick - " I'm in North County San Diego and would love to get together for some Mando tasting... ". Nick - I'll be there before you - ''Get In Line Brother" !!,:))
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: New Gilchrists land at Carter Vintage Guitars

Special shout out to the Carter's! Great people and great service! I really like these new Calton cases btw.
  18. Replies
    Views

From Ronnie - "Anyone play one ? ". Ronnie,i think that the one featured in a fairly recent Cafe thread was Tom Ellis's first 2-point mandolin. Whether he's going to build 2-points as part of his...
  19. Thread: Ellis 2 Point ?

by addamr
    Replies
    Views

Got to play on the one they had at IBMA this year. It was a stand out even among the other Ellis and Pava mandolins in the booth. With all the back ground noise it was impossible to get a real feel...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: New Gilchrists land at Carter Vintage Guitars

Relaxing at home for Thanksgiving after a long week of travel!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: My Level of Incompetence

Everyone feels this way sometimes, right?

A recent video lesson from Baron Collins-Hill on exactly this feeling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcqTf4I5w2c
  22. Re: New Gilchrists land at Carter Vintage Guitars

I didn't think of it like that but yes that is a monumental amount of work. He is incredibly driven and is so passionate about his work. I got to pick with him and Dan Voight and Jonathan McClanahan...
  23. New Gilchrists land at Carter Vintage Guitars

Note from Carters just now and a couple of photos. Don't know anything about what was shipped other than all were spoken for Christie's note:

"All arrived safe and sound. Steve, Jo Brooks of...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: smashed to bits

I've got mixed feelings on Monroe but, what Charlie Derrington did to rebuild those mandolins (remember both were smashed) is nothing short of a masterpiece of restoration. Charlie was humble and...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis A5 #339-15 and a Visit to the Ellis Shop

Don, That mandolin sounds great. I just went by Tom's shop this past Friday. We aren't related but we have the same last name so I really wanted to go by and meet him and his crew and learn more...
Page 1 of 2 1 2