Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Paul Hathway Octave Mandolin

I had a very happy time a few years ago at Hobgobins in London. A whole pile of newly-delivered hand-made Hathway instruments were on the sofa at the back, smelling wonderful. I played a few...
  2. Replies
    Views

I've owned a Hathway Mandocello for some years now, which I bought in person from Paul at his home workshop. I recall trying a couple of his OMs while I was there, and was hugely impressed. His...
  3. Replies
    Views

I have had a Hathway for a couple of months now. I got it thinking that it could be a replacement for my Eastman. I have liked what I heard in various YouTube videos of Hathways, and in real life, it...
  4. Re: Tax and import duty buying a mandolin from the UK?

That's was my experience as well: basically "wire some money to this account, and you might get your parcel", it's a totally shocking way to run a business.

To reply to the original poster: the...
  5. Re: Tax and import duty buying a mandolin from the UK?

ebay charges neccessary customs and VAT so you could try and find a "buy it now" from UK at a similar price, put it in your basket and see how much ebay charges :grin:
  6. Re: Tax and import duty buying a mandolin from the UK?

This may be of some help, although the other link inside it doesn't seem to work for me:

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-374?language=en_US
  7. Replies
    Views

Dennis (owner of The Mandolin Store) and I had a discussion about this Lafferty octave when it came up for sale awhile back. He said four were made as a sample batch and that he decided to not pursue...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking Octave Mandolin Plans and Advice

I have a Archtop Build Journal and a plan available at Musical Instrument Makers Forum. There are lots of other resources on the site you may find helpful.

Plan:...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking Octave Mandolin Plans and Advice

I'm making my first Octave based on a Gibson L00 shrunk to 88% with a 13" lower bout. I'm using the Bob Benedetto book archtop specs as a start, 1/4" in the center, 1/8" at the recurve. Tone bars are...