Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo...Which player...

I've been listening again to "Between Worlds" by Israeli (now living in Berlin) Avi Avital, and his tremolo is really good.
  2. The passing of Chris Strachwitz - archivist and music producer

I just learned that Chris Strachwitz died at the age of 91. He started Arhoolie Records and Downhome Music in El Cerrito, CA. He came to the US as a child after WWII from Germany. While learning...
  3. Re: RIP Dix Bruce: Free livestream memorial concert 4/15

I never met Dix Bruce but I knew of his many instruction books and materials. In fact I had a really nice collection of tunes, in various keys, with a cd which I
    enjoyed playing along with. Sorry...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Pete Sutherland RIP

I never met Peter but have a recording of his waltzes and his book of waltzes: "The Neighborhood Waltz."
    I have played lots of them and really love "Upper Valley Waltz" and Will Patton's version of...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Ginny Hollon

I am sad to hear about Ginny. I made a lot of use of the Mandolin Magazine over the years. I had issue one except the first one...I told that
    to Ginny, and she sent me a copy of the first issue! I...
  6. Another great interview on the Cafe. Tristan...

Another great interview on the Cafe. Tristan Scroggins did a really good job, and John covered a lot about his mandolin playing and approach to music.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

Like those above, I too loved the playing of Peter and enjoyed the several times I could interact with him. Eg. the workshop at the Classical Mandolin convention, mentioned by Doug and John. Years...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical mandolin album library list

Bach cello suites - A cd I like a lot is by Robin Bullock and called "Suites for Mandolin - Volume One."
    On the album are Suites 1, 2, and 3. We hear #1 lot, but not the other Cello Suites played...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: CMSA Convention in the Clouds

I thought the Virtual Convention was really good! I saw some great concerts; and helpful workshops; etc. What I would like to see is a way that
    some of the presentations could be shared with...
  10. Re: What are your favorite albums featuring mandolin?

I had to go to my mandolin collection (all over the place) and select some cds I really like. Here you go:
    Cafe Brasil - wonderful choro music and a really nice booklet
    Contratopia: "Smitten" - the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Eva Scow - After You've Gone

Eva's brother ran for U.S. State Representative fr. CA. Didn't win; maybe next time.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: CMSA Newbie: Advice Needed!

I think you'll have a great time! I usually seem to make it about every other year. I have made friends there; played at Open Mike; and love the orchestra.
    working with Jim Bates, the conductor,...
  13. Re: New to swing mandolin, who should I be listening to?

Another interesting jazz player is Will Patton who lives in Vermont. He plays an old Gibson A mandolin & does a lot of
    arranging of jazz tunes, plus presenting his own compositions.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Reading notation up the neck

I too am very bad about knowing the names of the notes up the neck. (I can play scales up the neck.)
    Don Julin has a YouTube about learning the notes on the mandolin neck. Basically, taking a note...
  15. Re: Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer Bass and Mandolin

Mandolin and Bass - I love the combination. I have been collecting a few recordings of those two instruments. Along with the first Thile/Meyer cd, I have two more to recommend. Not so interested in...
  16. Re: AWESOME "People Get Ready" cover (Sierra Hull)

One of my favorite versions of People Get Ready is by the late Eva Cassidy.
  17. Re: AWESOME "People Get Ready" cover (Sierra Hull)

Another great version of the song is by the late Eva Cassidy.
  18. Classical Mandolin Concerto mentioned in the New Yorker magazine

Alex Ross' column on classical music, p. 77, in the April 17th New Yorker magazine mentions the performance of Jeff Midkiff's mandolin concerto, "From the Blue Ridge" performed with the Boulder...
  19. Mandolin Magazine - I'd love to see another such publicatiion

I see that Mandolin Cafe is listing all the issues of Mandolin Magazine and info on
    articles. I'd love to see another similar magazine, though maybe in this day and age, print magazines are hard to...
  20. Re: CMSA 2016 Convention, November 11/2-11/6, Valley Forge, PA

I too really enjoyed the Convention. Some very good workshops, and hearing the various Mando Orchestras was great. Eg. When the Philadelphia Ensemble played Vivaldi's "Gloria," there was a chorus of...
  21. Replies
    Views

Does this chord exist?

I am working on a piece that calls for Fmaj6. Can't find it in any chord book.
    Does it exist?
    Thanks,
    Nick
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical vs Bluegrass

If you can, go to a concert by Caterina Lichtenberg and Mike Marshall and you'll hear both kinds of music....and other styles too.
  23. Re: Recent Recordings of Classical Music on Mandolin?

There are lots of classical cds of mandolin now. Let me list two I am enjoying by Avi Avital:
    Avi Avital - Vivaldi
    &
    Between Worlds - A wonderful cd with Avital playing with a variety of...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: New Don Julin Instructional Video

Scale patterns done by Don Julin -- I watched the video cited above and worked thru the scales in the key of G, that Don Julin
    presented. I did them all, but after #1, I couldn't do them well at...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical mandolin method

Exploring Classical mandolin: Technique & Repertoire, by August Watters (Berklee Press) is another new book to check
    out.
Page 1 of 2 1 2