Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: tuning machine ratios

I haven't tried Waverly mandolin tuners, but of the other brands I've used on my instruments, Rubners are a clear winner for smoothness and predictability with, (believe it or not) Grover 309s being...
  2. Replies
    Views

I have a couple of mandolins. The 1979 Givens has 26:1 ratio which allows me to fine tune the pitch of each string. The 2015 Black has 16:1 tuners, which I find I have to mess with a bit more often...
  3. Replies
    Views

If you can measure it and it makes you crazy then by all means one should pursue their ideal. The flip side is that most likely nobody else can tell the difference.
  4. Replies
    Views

I always thought they were Grovers because the sets I bought were in Grover boxes with model numbers but others have said they were Waverly's (the old Waverly not the current company).

They were...
  5. Replies
    Views

I was surprised to see Godin has guitars with 18:1 tuners on the bass side and up to 32:1 on the treble side. Lots of winding in a change but real precise tuning once you are there. With the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Stonewall Jackson

One of the greats without question. This is such a superb and bleak song- and a great album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dY5hKC2AzA
  7. Replies
    Views

Sonny Osborne - The River of Death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAH95Wvjxi4
  8. Ralph Stanley & Clinch Mountain Boys - GREAT 1972 video

This may have been discussed already but here is some fantastic video of Ralph, Roy Lee, Curley Ray, Keith, Ricky, and Jack from Pound VA in 1972:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vewupMUJDG8
  9. Invention in C Major BWV 772 Nugget F5 and Northfield Octave

Just got done listening to Caterina Lichtenberg and Mike Marshall's CD of Bach inventions and felt inspired to play one. You can even watch it in 4k!

eLmdWVKvMAc

Enjoy and keep on picking!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is Low humidity a problem?

I would cautiously disagree with Tom's post above. A too-dry environment causes wood cells to lose moisture and shrink; thin-cut, straight-grained wood (as in the top of your Campanella) can split...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Over $21K for a NEW Gibson F5 MM

Same price as my current automobile (2010 Honda Element). A lot smaller, and less useful for picking up groceries or hauling PA to remote gigs.

Beyond a certain point, what you're paying for...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Brekke vs Traditional Bridge

I get a bit confused on what is being referred to here - Brekke bridge (older, newer) vs. Weber traditional bridge. I purchased 3 of the pictured one below from Bruce Weber (it has the brass insert...
  13. Replies
    Views

I have two mandolins with the metal bar Brekke bridges. They are both rich, loud, fully responsive, lush.
    If they get louder, that might not be desirable...
    Will I be blown away by a...
  14. Replies
    Views

My '07 Weber Fern came with such a bridge that included a steel saddle with an ebony cap over it, concealing it. After several years I had it changed out for a Loar-style bridge by Roger Siminoff. ...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: I don't like F styles. Anyone else?

Yup, 3 huge lots in nearby Wilmington alone. https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locations/LKQ_Pick_Your_Part_-_Wilmington_-_Help_Yourself-262/recents/ As you can imagine demand is high with a population...