Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Paganini for Mandolin

Thanks Eugene for your answer.
    Btw. Dave Apollon recorded a Paganini Stomp on his Travelling Mandolins record (I think that was from 1965) comprised of part of the 24 th caprice and part of the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Paganini for Mandolin

I was bemused about the description of Paganini's mandolin works as naive. His father taught him how to play the mandolin when he was five years old, at seven he switched to the violin (maybe he...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo...Which player...

one player who has been forgotten here so far is andy statman.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL8nTIhhOIc
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Mandobass #87717

I love everything about the Gibson Mandobass - looks, playability and sound. I've always dreamed about one of them since my wife and I saw one of them in a Church Street pawnshop in Toronto in the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Bass Mandolin Strings

hi
    I use Thomastiks double bass strings on my Gibson Mandobass. they feel great and there is no more squeak when shifting. love the sound. they are expensive but how often do you change them...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Experiences with ArtistWorks

I have been studying with Mike Marshall at AW for the last 8 years and with Catarina Lichtenberg for 3 years. I have not taken lessons on other sites and have no plans. My experience has been nothing...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bach Stuff on Mandocello

hi

you are doing well and your shifting looks good

I have been working on this and many other cello suite pieces for many years. This one is actually quite challenging once you know the notes...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Bach Invention #5 - to use a capo?

I would play it the way it sounds the best to you.

by the way the orchestra part of Paganini's famous violin concerto in D (that was after he gave up the mandolin for the violin - mandolin was too...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Jesse McReynolds

hi
    I have been reading this thread with a mixture of sadness and annoyance. Why is it no longer okay for someone to grow old. I have never heard Jesse McReynolds live but have listened to many of...
  10. Re: Am I Cynical or Maybe On To Something About Camps?

Dear Data Nick

I started to play the mandolin in 1978 in Germany and there was little if no instruction for Bluegrass Mandolin available. I crossed the country in search of opportunities end for...