Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Odd mandolin

by GTison
    Replies
    Views

Re: Odd mandolin

I think the front mandolin is a Belltone type with a resonator. There are several versions of these I think. Seems like I can see holes around the edge like the holes of the wooden resonator. It is...
  2. Re: Very pretty tuners had to be put on upside down 😭 (Gibson A)

Interesting. Multiple issues here. 1. Upside down tuners that turn backward to the norm. I've seen plenty of old Gibsons with the corners ground off the tuners to match the headstock. Just look...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Scaggs "Daniel Prayed"

Scaggs sounds to be in "get up John" tuning.

E strings - D / A
    A strings - remain same
    D strings - remain same
    G strings - A / F#
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Time Mandolin Workshop with Caleb Klauder

Sammy the fiddler for Foghorn SB is doing a workshop. I'm gonna watch that. I'm sure
    sorry I missed Caleb's workshop.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Need help identifying date of my F2

I thought serial numbers were always in pencil. It does appear that a number is under the ink. Perhaps use a different light to reveal this penciled number. Almost looks like a 5 under the 8,...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Preferred wire cutters?

Kleins are SERIOUS tools. (or used to be)
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Preferred wire cutters?

I never considered that, about the copper vs. steel. I always wanted the smallest pair I could find so that they would fit in my case without taking up much real estate. I currently have an...
  8. Thread: RIP Tony Rice

by GTison
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tony Rice passed

A thread is over in Bluegrass section.
  9. Thread: Moving to FL

by GTison
    Replies
    Views

Re: Moving to FL

The Withlacoochee Bluegrass festival in Dunnellon. When they have it again. link to their FB. https://www.facebook.com/tinroofshackproductions
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: David Grisman - 'Home is Where the Heart is'

Yes as previously mentioned the scratched up 25 fern. 189646
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: David Grisman - 'Home is Where the Heart is'

I bought the LP 'Home is where the heart is' a long time ago. David's tone is iconic. His melody lines seem to almost be at the edge of what the mandolin can do. His chop is full of tone and not...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Is playing TABS detrimental to really learning?

Tab can be a great tool
    pros: gets even the most untrained ear to playing a tune in a short span of time. Can teach a tune as written that you don't already know.
    cons: Does little for ear...
  13. Re: Gibson F4 serial # 12756, 1911: question about FON

The third digit looks like a "3". (Kinda like one of those face book things that say only X percent of the population can see this.)
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: March Mountain Boys featuring Mike Compton

Love this Got it on my new tv. Proud as can be.
  15. Re: Current pros looking to teach lessons during down time

C. J. Lewandowski
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: What's The One That Got Away?

A 20's Loar. Around 1986. It was at a music store I drove by every day, and never stopped in. Till one day I stopped and played around on a mandolin. The shop owner showed me the pics of the...
  17. Re: Gibson Master Model vs. Ellis F5 with all of his highest opti

I was asking myself the exact same question a while back. I did play an Ellis tradition. What a beautiful mandolin to me. Flawless, beautiful wood. Excellent tone. It just didn't knock me off my...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Help! I can't hear the beat when I play a break

I'll throw my suggestions in here. Use the metronome when playing/practicing alone. It develops LISTENING skills, it never listens so YOU have to adjust to it.

Know how your break or tune goes...
  19. Thread: Duffeyisms

by GTison
    Replies
    Views

Re: Duffeyisms

I've read those old FRETS magazines so many times. It is as familiar as The Bible to me. There is still good information in them. Some instrument knowledge I feel may have advanced since then.
  20. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

After reading Dean Guitars reply to Gibson. I hope that mandolin builders join in the consortium or form their own to undo or fight these claims.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Cleaning Mold From Inside a Guitar?

Here's an article. I was thinking that an "Ozone Chamber" treatment might help. It seems it still needs another step besides this. I'd Get some advice from a mold remediation pro. They may have...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin sound changing over time

When I bought my Mandolin new, I bought it for what it sounded like then, and I advise anyone to do the same. I did expect some changes from a new mandolin in the store. In the store new it was in...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Toning down a bright instrument

1. Try a round edge pick or the round edge of a standard fender heavy pick, (or ex heavy) play with the loose grip. Play around with your grip too.
    I used to like D'Addario delrin picks for...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F-5L thoughts

So consider what kind of answers you are going to get here. Everybody here has a different mandolin,along with the pride and prejudice of owning each one. There can be many factors that go into a...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Short-neck oval A models?

I was just about to start a tread about interest in the Gibson A model. It seems to me that they are a real bargain. I have a beater Gibson A model and it is a really good mandolin. It plays...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3