Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Place to Shop For Mandolins

This may seem a little harsh although I don’t mean it to be. You’ve gotten excellent advice so far. Your original post was nearly 7 weeks ago and you have yet to acquire a mandolin. Time to fish...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky head stock inlay

That's an older model 500. The inlay is the "Art Deco" inlay used at the time. I had one several years ago. Played it a lot - I really enjoyed the playability and sound on mine. Good luck!
  3. Thread: arthritis

by Mike Scott
    Replies
    Views

Re: arthritis

CBD Gummies
  4. Re: Repaired headstock scroll devaluation on MD315

I have a different opinion on this. Yes, it is too bad when an illness or injury (in this case a stroke) prevents one from playing their music instrument. But, I believe you over paid for a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying an instrument you have never played

After 10+ mandolins I've bought, I only played 3 prior to purchase. My best one so far I bought sight unseen. YMMV, but that's my experience .

Good luck!
  6. Re: I can’t remember if learning guitar was this hard

I'm glad you posted this. I'm pretty much in the same boat. I read the OP and thought-I can't do a lot of that stuff and I've been at this a long time (14 years). Maybe I took the wrong approach...
  7. Re: Who Has a Northfield F5-S with Airloom case?

David,

I'm no expert on any of this. I'm thinking they could have shipped the incorrect case, but never even seeing a Northfield what do I know. I have never been able to turn the bridge thumb...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Jam Etiquette re: Playing Mandolin Chords

I don't think it matters. Several teachers I've had were very direct about chopping only and on being very accurate on playing the correct chords at the correct time and timing of the chops. So, ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Rental

This is not necessarily answering the OP's question, but you say "I'm wanting my son to try the mandolin....." So, he's 9 years old. Is it he who is interested in the mandolin or is it you who...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD-Eastwood Mandocaster Ltd

Thanks Dan! That Country Boy you got should prove to be an excellent mando. I have only heard great things about them.
  11. Replies
    Views

NMD-Eastwood Mandocaster Ltd

I opted for the metallic green mandocaster. Now, the only other electric instrument I have (ever played) is a cheap lap steel I bought when I was waiting for my first dobro to be built. Can't play...
  12. Re: Central Oregon - I need to try a Weber Yellowstone

I'd like to help out, but the only Weber I've seen locally at jams and sessions (when we had them) was a Bitteroot A. Have never seen a Yellowstone in the High Desert. A trip to Albany (2+ hours)...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this how it starts?

Is that a Bb? I toyed with buying one of those-played in the fourth grade for a bit-geez that was 66 years ago. Glad I went with the Anglo concertina instead. The clarinet was not my cup of...
  14. Re: US Made Mandolins "around $1500" (a...hopefully...helpful lis

Uh, how about Silverangel econo or used A's. oops-already posted
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Antiqued/distressed instruments?

I don't mean to be obtuse (well........maybe I do). I wasted my time reading this whole thread-My reaction - you either like, dislike or are neutral on relic-ing (for lack of a better term)-and who...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings Vs. Northfield Vs. Kelley

I had a Kelley that I sold to buy a concertina (long story). I have played a few Collings, but have never even seen a Northfield. I have played some Bitterroots too. The Kelley was head and...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Where’s the easy-does-it method?

Yeah, I'm a one finger guy on the phone...... So, I'm old, what can I say. Thanks for the heads up on the cents sign. Unfortunately, I'm on a Mac. No Alt key and the Option/alt key does not work...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: It Made the Mandolin Sound Better

And, well, geez; you live in Grass Valley after all..............
  19. Thread: Polls

by Mike Scott
    Replies
    Views

Re: Polls

Maybe start a poll to see if people want to see polls..........:whistling:
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Michael Kelly label question

I can only add that I once owned a MK Firefly Custom that was the top of their line the year it was made (also made in Korea). It did not have any flame to the maple whatsoever, so I guess not...
  21. Thread: technique

by Mike Scott
    Replies
    Views

Re: technique

Interesting thread. I have most recently found, that if I am careful with fretting, use the optimal pick and pressure, I can attain the best tone. Unfortunately that all comes at the expense of...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe User: Br1ck

OK, it appears this post caused a bit of ire with some. I apologize. It was not directed at Br1ck per se, just a general observation. Now, when he first arrived, he did throw out advice from the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe User: Br1ck

Well, ordinarily I wouldn't comment on this, but I through my back out this morning and I'm in some pain, so why not! I've always found humor in folks who come on the forums here as the ultimate...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with upgrade, please

Great choice! I have owned both the Eastman 504 and the Kentucky 272. IMHO the Eastman was the superior mandolin.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Dreaming of a Great A5 under $6000

Hey Mark, if you decide to part with Kelley #45, I'll buy it. Ive regretted that parting for a long time!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4