Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How to approach practicing and improvement?

I try hard to spend some time with a metronome regularly, particularly if I'm working on a typically fast played tune. You'll be amazed at how that can help you grow, even just with practicing scales.
  2. Replies
    Views

I really like that "The Practice of Practice" book. Best book I've personally seen on the subject.

I have 4 videos of practice suggestions you may find useful here:
  3. Replies
    Views

If your goal is to solo more confidently, practice doing that.

Just like anything else, you manage it by slowing down and working on small sections.
  4. Replies
    Views

I hate "practice", have my whole life. But. No one ever gets good at anything without, practice.
  5. Replies
    Views

A simple way around it is to permanently improve the small things you're not good at. One small step at a time.
  6. Replies
    Views

Lots of great tips here. May I add a couple more?

If yes, read on...

Whenever I get a new student, I ask two questions: why do you want to play? And what song or piece would you like to play? ...
  7. Replies
    Views

Highest priority for me would be to learn how to play the simple melody of any vocal tunes you like. This builds your intuition. Like being able to “sing” with the mandolin. Also, focus on concepts...
  8. Re: How to approach practicing and improvement?

I'll also add to see if you can play with someone else, preferably better than you are. I learned a ton of new tunes and pushed myself to master them because a person I play with had them down cold...
  9. Replies
    Views

OK two problems. Possibly same solution. Get an instructor. Easy to do these days, especially with Skype. You can get a teacher anywhere in the world and meet once a week on line.

Problem one -...
  10. Replies
    Views

Somewhere (perhaps in an MC post) I read that Isaac Stern recommended:

30% scales, etc.
    30% technical studies, etudes, etc.
    30% repertoire

Not sure about the missing 10% ... but this is what...
  11. Replies
    Views

Since you are asking about the subject of practice itself, I’ll add a recommendation to the advice already given above. Check out the book, The Practice of Practice,​ by Jonathan Harnum. It is full...
  12. Replies
    Views

Another way to advance quite quickly is to join the Song A Week Social group here on MandolinCafe.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=67
    It even helps if you write a post and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Hi Jean I just looked (iphone) and the program’s called sight read.
    But I can’t find it in the Apple store now, perhaps it was too good?

It’s an extremely simple app that...
  14. Replies
    Views

Ha ha! Speaking of rambling, see my rant about variations on fiddle tunes from yesterday. ... The first thing I would address is the "shambolic" part. In my opinion, you need to be deliberate. You...
  15. Re: How to approach practicing and improvement?

Hi Simon.

Can you be more specific about the sight reading app you recommend? there are a lot of options...

j
  16. Re: How to approach practicing and improvement?

Nudging one's self forward is a part of this practice. Playing scales and arpeggios is great, finding tunes that are musically and technically challenging is important too. OF course these tunes...
  17. Re: How to approach practicing and improvement?

Check out the book The Musician's Way by Gerald Klickstein (Amazon link). For me it had great advice on structuring practice and how to approach learning difficult pieces. Applicable to any...
  18. Replies
    Views

Mandolessons.com

If you have an iPhone then try ‘Sight reading’ app.

Use a program, BandCamp or metronome that wont stop for a certain length of time, you have to start it, and you have to...
  19. Replies
    Views

Another approach: Matt Flinner occasionally offers an online course devoted to practice techniques. Check his website. Frequently there’s a link on the cafe.
  20. Replies
    Views

Work on your scales every day. Just like singing and playing guitar, the guitar has to go on autopilot. The scale , i.e. pentatonic scale in the given chord or key. Strangley, i learnt to drill 8...
  21. Replies
    Views

Develop the habit of practicing at a specific time. Here’s a practice schedule:

Warmup. 10%
    Technical exercise, chords, scales, arpeggios 30%
    New repetoire 30%
    Old repetoire 30%

Repeat...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Pain in Fretting Hand?

CB, Also keep in mind how you are holding the mandolin. A sharper angle with the headstock higher than the body will relieve some of the tension in your left hand. R/
  23. Replies
    Views

Start the ffcp practice up the neck from the nut and work towards the nut, starting at D for instance. This allows for a warmup before you work on the positions with the hardest stretches. The Bb...
  24. Replies
    Views

I'm noticing the same thing when I start adding speed to my playing. Ive been watching Chris Thile's DVD on essential techniques to ensure all of my habits are the right ones.
  25. Replies
    Views

You might be mindful of how you support the back of the neck. If your pushing your thumb against the back of the neck like a guitarist would playing a bar chord you can have injury. Try to release...
Page 1 of 2 1 2