Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: If you DIDN'T win the MT, what was your actual entry?

Earth Tone--- The fusion of sight and sound.
  2. Re: If you DIDN'T win the MT, what was your actual entry?

My entry was "Tranquility Base", after the site of man's first landing on the moon. I was hoping it would evoke thoughts both of peacefulness and bold exploration.

I've toured the Collings...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The winner of the Collings MT2 Giveaway

I am hesitant to respond to this thread again after being the second person who expressed disappointment with the choice of the judges. Again, let me say "disappointment"... and I think I can speak...
  4. Replies
    Views

Hobo, I think you're not alone at all in your reaction. I've been hesitant to critique too much, as I don't want to be labeled a "sore loser", which I'm not, but I will say that when my husband...
  5. Replies
    Views

Sorry, I don't think "Lick My Love Pump" used in a description. Or, "PluckN A" as a suggested name are appropriate, let alone winners. It is has nothing to do with a sense of humor. Suggesting that...
  6. Replies
    Views

I have no problem with the winning entry. It is clever and perfectly rather nice -- but, not great. Congratulations to the winner and certainly enjoy your awesome mandolin for many years to come!
  7. Re: If you DIDN'T win the MT, what was your actual entry?

I asked my wife to register. So, she went to the registration page and entered the name, "The MB" (her initials). Then when she realized there was some need to give a writeup, she just added, "It's...
  8. Replies
    Views

Thank you all for the congratulations! She's definitely going to a good home. I was so surprised to find my wit has landed me in something other than hot water. :mandosmiley:
  9. Re: The winner of the Collings MT2 Giveaway

I understand we all wish we won, but just keep in mind that contests such as these ones are by definition highly subjective. No one said the names have to be artsy, high brow, or flowery. It just...
  10. Replies
    Views

Yeah it would be great to see the top 20 - any chance of this?
  11. Replies
    Views

Congratulations, Todd!

And thanks to all the sponsors for the chance to enter.
  12. Replies
    Views

So what was the name that he chose?
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Let's lobby for the mandolin. :)

One of my worst fears is the mandolin becoming "mainstream", or being as ubiquitous as the guitar. I'm quite happy with its history and its current place in music. Some folks may see this position...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: the mandolin in bluegrass?

Politely speaking, there's a lot of well informed musicologists who would disagree with you.

Mr. Monroe is credited with combining elements of old-time, fiddle music, country blues, mountain...
  15. Re: Where can I find a nice, but cheap, tenor guitar?

There's not a lot under $100, but I have a Gold Tone low end plywood tenor guitar that is playable. It was $150 used from Bernunzio's. Expect to spend more for an archtop unless you are very lucky or...
  16. Re: Where can I find a nice, but cheap, tenor guitar?

This type of guitar has become fairly desirable lately and while there are a lot of them floating around, you have to keep on looking. Besides eBay there are often one or two listed here in the Cafe'...
  17. Replies
    Views

deedle-deedle-plinky-plinky...
    I like this description of the sound :P
    The name of bluegrass should be changed.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Registered User changed to WHAT??

I have 3 little children .... hence '3 Blessings'
    :)
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: What do you make of this "guitar"?

Take a look at the one pics not displayed here. There are 9 tuners. It is a Waldzither. That would explain the larger size. The bass string would be single strung and the others double (5 courses).
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Whats up with dead strings at shops?

When I was at GC, I grabbed a tuner and tuned the 12 mandolins that I played. I had some spare time and figured it was a good use of time.

I find it surprising still that they don't set up their...
  21. Replies
    Views

(SNORT!!) Coffee-spew on the tablet - thanks a lot! LOL!
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Is my mandolin any good?

Photos, please.

Get a new one when you stop being satisfied with how this one sounds or plays. (Not with how it looks or the name on the headstock.)
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin evolution

Hah! I recognized that one as the work of Fred Carlson. he calls it a Guitarangi da gamba, 30-string bowed or plucked "guitar"; carved top, flat back, gut and steel strings. Some explanation is here....
  24. Replies
    Views

Is my mandolin any good?

Hi folks, this is my first post on here so I hope it's in the right place. I have crossed over from guitar to mandolin and must say I wish I did it years ago. I have a "vintage" brand vfm400bs which...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin evolution

The only two violins I play are made in 1915 and designed by Frank M. Ashley. More info here. You can put them in your picture collection, Jordan.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3