Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck shape/feel: "V" vs rounded

I have a rounded, nice C shape that I love, I also have a V shape that I play daily. I think you can get used to whatever you spend time on. Some love the V shape, some don't. I find both...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: I miss the Classified Guitar posts....

I too miss the guitar classifieds, maybe it could only be by individuals and not dealers.
  3. Re: Stroboclip Tuner TL;DR Tale told by an idiot*, Part 765:

I have a clip on Peterson for the bench, but use the Unitune for everything else. It's very accurate, right up there with the Peterson, and gets about 4-5 times the battery life. I have one I keep on...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Electric mandolin strings

If you save those balls you can then put them into loop end strings when you need a ball end sting, as the OP does.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: JT's Pix Blue Celcon Pick Review

I also played the BC for years, but thought they were too dark sounding for me. I liked the glide thru the strings. I went to Wegen, I even have them made thinner, and love the sound. They do wear...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Speed Neck on Carbon Fiber Mandolin

White scotch brite will do the same thing with less mess.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Duff engraving probably Machine ?

Looks like it's been played a bunch. I like that. If you have a dental mirror look inside, you will easily be able to tell if it is X braced.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

The Fishman input is set for a transducer without a preamp, so plugging into that will give you a different sound than plugging into the PA. If you want to get used to your preamp, so it is easy for...
  9. Thread: Classifides

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

Re: Classifides

Some folks 2k purchase is probably harder to come by that money, than someone else's 10k purchase. Even at 2k I would want to hear and play the instrument. If it wasn't the sound I wasn't looking for...
  10. Thread: Classifides

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

Re: Classifides

I, same as Pittsburgh Bill, have bought several instruments from the classifieds here with no problem and have not sent one back. A trial period is a must for buying something you can't play in...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpeice alignment- is this a problem?

It looks like it should be moved to the left. The bass strings are angling much more than the treble strings, and could pull the bridge off center. You can see they are more to the treble side of the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Demonstrating a mandolin

Why is it that those folks that are trying to sell a mandolin, and producing a video, only play hot licks and chords. I would like to hear the individual strings one at a time. It would only take a...
  13. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

Just played a gig last night with an old friend. He has an extremely hard time walking, and lives up a hill. He leaves all his instruments in his car, all the time. We live in the Midwest and last...
  14. Re: Developing a lighter touch on the pick and strings

I find the better I know the material the lighter I can play. It' like I breeze thru it. If I am learning it on the fly I tend to play harder. Also if you lighten up your fretting hand it will help...
  15. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

If you do this don't open the case when you get home, 24 hours is the typical warm up time. Especially if it is in the case wrapped in a blanket or sleeping bag. Two hours in a car would not be...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin case for a Martin Style C mandolin

Not far, as there was not enough interest for the minimum amount of cases that I would have to order.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Grommets vs damper on tailpiece

Sometimes I will put the leather under the strings at the very end of the tailpiece. Since I only change one string at a time I don't have to worry about it, it works well there too.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Grommets vs damper on tailpiece

A piece of leather or felt under the tailpiece cover will stop the ringing and be invisible, also won't fall off when you change strings. I have had it on my mandolins for decades.
  19. Re: Advantages of solid base bridge vs feet bridges

I have a one footed bridge on my mandolin with two tone bars and it sounds better than the two footed bridge it came with. It will also help if you have belling in the center of the top.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Replacing a broken tailgate

Well the good news is the piece that is broken isn't really needed, it will play fine without it. It will also be easier to change strings without it.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Replacing a broken tailgate

Welcome to the cafe. If you have an exact fit replacement it should be easy. It is called a tailpiece however and not a tailgate. A tailgate is for a pickup truck. good luck
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Rearranging strings on a mandolin?

You can play a great chop A chord with three fingers starting a the G string 674X. You can also play an A double stop by simply fretting the A string on the 4th fret and playing the E and A strings....
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on a Replacement Bridge

All bridges are adjustable under tension, I have done it for years. If I have them setup well I can raise under tension with my fingers. I am not strong enough to strip a screw with my fingers, so I...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Results of member search

I have had a different experience than Jeff, I have responded to several ads and always got a response. I have bought a few instruments from the classifieds here, and feel safe in doing so.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: How to de-skunk a mando?

If you started smoking you would never notice it. Charcoal and newspaper have helped me with odors. Ball up newspaper, a bunch of it and charcoal and place them in a garbage bag, tie the bag top...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4