Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Have you found the mandolin you've been hearing in your head?

No, but I thinks that's probably because the mandolin I hear in my head is played by a much better picker than me.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: I've got the octave mandolin blues :(

there is a great lutheir named cox near Toronto. his stuff is reasonably priced and will show up now and again second hand. in Ottawa Nathan currie made octaves, bouzoukia and citterns that sounded...
  3. Replies
    Views

Yes you have options! I bought a beautiful carved F4 OM from my friend TJ at Cricketfiddle. I paid less than a third of a Weber built to the same specs (scroll down that link to see what I paid). ...
  4. Replies
    Views

I will say I actually prefer the oval holes on the bigger instruments. I like the depth and sustain they give. This is just one guys opinion, but I think it's more a function of body cavity size that...
  5. Replies
    Views

Well, you can get "punch" out of anything with compression like that in a recording. :)

Great playing by Thile aside, the tone of that OM still sounds thin to my ears. I know many folks like a...
  6. Replies
    Views

As a happy owner of an archtop F-hole Weber OM, I would suggest saving your money and keeping an eye out for a used one. Keep scanning the classified ads here, the usual retail sources, and Ebay. I...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Monster Mandolin player in a video game!

Is anyone going to touch this line?
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Fast Fret Vs. Olive Oil

For sauteeing your vegetables with garlic, however, I have found Fast Fret to be nearly useless, and recommend olive oil.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A style identification..

You might try coasting through the Mandolin Archive and looking at photos to see what you can discover.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Let's lobby for the mandolin. :)

One of my worst fears is the mandolin becoming "mainstream", or being as ubiquitous as the guitar. I'm quite happy with its history and its current place in music. Some folks may see this position...
  11. Replies
    Views

Nice Mike Dulak Big Muddy video.

Nice video of Mike. Great mandolins!!

http://youtu.be/u93Ial8W0rY
  12. Re: Looking for a deep woody sounding A-style mandolin. (Vint or

IMO, the TR gives a mandolin, a heavier neck and a metallic twang sound that takes away from the 'woody'. After the 1920 or so have TRs. As I said that is my opinion, certainly many in here...
  13. Re: Looking for a deep woody sounding A-style mandolin. (Vint or

It has been WAY too long since I visited your fishing paradise. I have not partaken of the divine joy which comes from catching lake trout, small mouth bass and walleye for way too many years. I...
  14. Re: Looking for a deep woody sounding A-style mandolin. (Vint or

The closest mandolins I've purchased were in Ocala and Jacksonville, roughly four to five hours away. The farthest were in Alaska and New Zealand, which would constitute many days' journey. I've not...
  15. Re: Looking for a deep woody sounding A-style mandolin. (Vint or

16. Re: Looking for a deep woody sounding A-style mandolin. (Vint or

You don't?! I always assumed "deep" and "woody" were how one would describe Canada. ;)
  17. Re: Looking for a deep woody sounding A-style mandolin. (Vint or

You live near Folkways Music, which carries a good selection of mandolins. Why don't you go play everything they have and see what strikes you as deep and woody?
  18. Re: Looking for a deep woody sounding A-style mandolin. (Vint or

To complement The Loar with f holes that you have, rather than replace it, a mandolin with an oval hole makes sense. The Big Muddy M11 certainly has character, and they are out there. A new one is...
  19. Re: Looking for a deep woody sounding A-style mandolin. (Vint or

Sounds a bit like what I was "visualizing" when I got my Breedlove KO. I personally like the K body style but they make an O-style (basically an A-style) as well. I agree with phefferman that you...
  20. Re: Looking for a deep woody sounding A-style mandolin. (Vint or

Realize that generalizations about how all instruments of a certain make and model sound, are full of exceptions and special cases. You may find a Gibson A-Junior that meets your sound preferences,...
  21. Re: Looking for a deep woody sounding A-style mandolin. (Vint or

Could you describe the style of music that you intend to play on this mandolin? I must confess that when I was reading your post, I was already formulating a response in my head, so when I saw terms...
  22. Re: Looking for a deep woody sounding A-style mandolin. (Vint or

I will suggest that one of the best buys for quality sound at a reasonable used price is the vintage Strad-O-Lin. These were made in the 1930s through the 1950s. They will run from roughly $250 to...
  23. Re: Looking for a deep woody sounding A-style mandolin. (Vint or

Flatiron Cadet $450 in the Cafe classifieds.
    This looks like a very good candidate, and it's in Canada, eh! (no financial interest on my part)
    (BTW, I wonder if this is the first time EVER that...
  24. Re: Looking for a deep woody sounding A-style mandolin. (Vint or

Used: Flatiron Performer or Artist A model; my friend just sold his on the classifieds for about $1200...
    New: JBovier A5 Special, at $800 a great deal...

Just my 2 cents!
  25. Re: Looking for a deep woody sounding A-style mandolin. (Vint or

The Silverangel A models would also fit my definition of 'deep and woody'. You can sometimes find them used for around the top end of your budget.

Page 1 of 2 1 2