1. Replies
    Views

Re: Pretty odd, not so pretty

Known to some as a 'Smurf hat' I believe
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Another carbon fiber question

Absolutely.

Truss rods have more to do with action height on a guitar (which the OP is asking about) than on a mandolin, IMHO.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Another carbon fiber question

There will be others on here with more experience than me, but I have found that CF will never do the same job as a truss rod. You can't straighten a warped neck by gluing a CF rod into it. Even if...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Fan-fret mandocello build

Thanks Marty. Yes, it did take me a while to get used to that. At first I was just too close to the bridge, and it mattered. When I moved up to the soundhole it sounded OK across all the strings...
  5. Replies
    Views

Here are some shots of the finished instrument:
    182133 182134 182135 182136 182137 182138 182139 182140

I am working on a sound sample . . .
  6. Replies
    Views

Ready for spraying. I'm not sure how long that will take as I'm trying a new finish
  7. Replies
    Views

:)) Challenges enough on this one, thanks!

I think I've covered most aspects of the build that are different because of the fan-fret format. I'll post occasional photos as I pass significant...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Warps in bent sides

I think this is caused by varying run-out within the board. Gluing small struts to the side may help to hold it flat (some builders do this anyway). Scraping may even it out a bit. I find it doesn't...
  9. Replies
    Views

One of the most difficult parts to get clear in my mind was how to handle the neck/head transition. The simplest way is just to plane the head perpendicular to the top of the fingerboard, but that...
  10. Replies
    Views

Marty - many thanks for referring me to that thread. For anyone reading this, you can find it here. I watched the video on YouTube - the m'cello sounded gorgeous. When it had finished another video...
  11. Replies
    Views

Here are my plans (sorry about the quality). They are a starting point and I will probably change my mind about some things as I go along.

181073 181074

Woods:
    Back and sides English walnut...
  12. Replies
    Views

Come on guys, lighten up . . . this is about an old man having fun with mandolins.
  13. Replies
    Views

Fan-fret mandocello build

I couldn't find much on MC about building a fan-fret (multi-scale) mandocello, so I decided to start my own thread. Maybe someone will find it useful in the future, and I hope it will satisfy some...
  14. Replies
    Views

Gibson 5-string mandolin oddity on eBay

Gibson mandolin body with a five-string banjo neck. Looks as if it's been rather sadly treated but not beyond redemption.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153704631441?ul_noapp=true

15. Replies
    Views

Re: "Ceccherini" Bowl Back Mandolin on eBay

There was some discussion of these 'screwed' Ceccherinis on this thread. The screws in the bowl do play a structural role in that they are screwed into narrow struts that go round inside the bowl,...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: "Ceccherini" Bowl Back Mandolin on eBay

Glad you found my input interesting, so I went off and did my homework. My source for the information was Dave Hynds' website (here). This is what he says:

'All Ceccherinis I have ever seen were...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A50, odd neck

So, I couldn't keep quiet. I have to come back to that comment that this mandolin has clearly been tarted up to within an inch of its life. I really do consider that a slur on my workmanship....
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A50, odd neck

Thank you Peter (Cobalt) for drawing my attention to this thread - I hadn't spotted it.

I will do my best to satisfy everyone's curiosity, but first I must make it clear that I do have a financial...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Radiotone Double Chamber Mandolin

All done. Here are some photos:

General comments: I don't like the violin-style neck joint - not strong enough for a mandolin. But at least it's...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Radiotone Double Chamber Mandolin

So, I bought the Radiotone mandolin in the Bamfords auction. Got it for £88. Here is a close-up of the damage to the neck joint:
    It does not look like the result of being sat on - if it was...
  21. Thread: Necks

by tonydxn
    Replies
    Views

Re: Necks

My V joint is different from both of those. Here is a shot of a couple of dummies I made when I was first working this out. I hope it's clear how the V tapers (front to back of the head). The string...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Help please dating A-style Gibson

I'm not much of a player - I get my kicks from building mandolins and bringing dead ones back to life. I can't describe the sound as a player would, but to me the trebles sound clear and sweet and...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin sound changing over time

It's generally reckoned among guitar makers (and players too probably) that guitars with spruce tops do mature noticeably in the first couple of years, though ones with western red cedar tops don't...
  24. Re: 2 antique Mandolins, one Very unique . Looking for info .

Sound samples of two pocket mandolins here (a German one from the 1930's and one I made myself)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEMdZpTw_W4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjjszMehUk0
  25. Re: 2 antique Mandolins, one Very unique . Looking for info .

Would like to clarify that a pocket mandolin and a piccolo mandolin are not the same thing. Pocket mandolins are ordinary mandolins with a narrow body, 330mm scale length, tuned GDAE. A piccolo...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4