Re: How My Life Was Changed

12 year bump...
  2. Thread: Thanks Scott!

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thanks Scott!

Your work is most appreciated, Scott.

And a tip o' the hat to the moderators, who assist in creating the atmosphere that we all (well, most of us) value at Mandolin Cafe.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Dagger Gordon video

I quite often do some practise when I'm finishing my breakfast. This is a Scottish jig called The Lads O' Dunse, played on my powerful wee Collings mandolin.

4. Replies
    Views

Andy Irvine is 81 today!

I'm pretty certain than many of us would probably not be playing Celtic music (and indeed Eastern European music) on the mandolin or bouzouki if it weren't for Andy Irvine. And he seems to be still...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: ABCnotation.com Harmony and V:2

Thanks Rob.
    Oh my goodness. The search feature is now on overdrive.
    Many thanks to CHRIS WALSHAW who runs the site.

Also, if anyone gets a LOT of results then another workaround is to take a...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning to set up a mando?

Setting up a mandolin is not rocket surgery... (or is it brain science...) and I feel that it is something anyone with good digital dexterity, an ability to reason, and a willingness to develop...
  7. Replies
    Views

Last section: I love his notation at the end… “Don’t forget to have fun”. I know a lot of the li is will not work but you get a lot of wisdom here. Someone should resurrect his site although I am...
  8. Replies
    Views

LEFT HAND CONSIDERATIONS FOR ALL
    Whether you subscribe to the classical ideal of keeping the thumb on the back of the neck, never looping around the fingerboard, or go for the blues/rock big vibrato...
  9. Replies
    Views

I found his techtips page from 2005 in the WayBack machine. Here is the first section:

RIGHT HAND CONSIDERATIONS FOR FLATPICKING:

The right hand makes the instrument speak, so you can...
  10. Re: How to get songs by ear... When you have no ear?

Hi John, yes the first time I noticed it was a few years ago, a couple of days after I used different interval singing apps. One of them, my favourite, they basically give you a note and you have to...
  11. Re: I have an open mike on Saturday and I'm scared to death

I find playing for an audience or group to be very very stressful. This was true in the beginning and hasn't changed much in the umpty-ump years I have been playing.

There are many reasons that...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for better rhythm playing

While I don't disagree with anything being said here, I think the discussion has limited itself too narrowly. The mandolin can just about do anything, and chopping isn't most of it. Chopping is just...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for better rhythm playing

Well, certainly not in the Balkans, Greece, etc.!

And as much as I love my kalamatianos, zeibekikos, etc. one can be a very creditable mandolinist in many genres only playing 2/4, 3/4, 6/8, 4/4,...
  14. Replies
    Views

English fiddling essay (no mando)

I'm posting this for anyone interested in English traditional music, which is commonly played but little talked about when compared to so-called "Celtic" music. I play some English tunes from my time...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: best use of GIJM and Jethro books

hello again Bhiyao,
    Yes go for the chords. Here's a couple tips that may help:
    The challenge in chordal rhythmic accompaniment is not the formation of a new chord--we look at a...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: TablEdit is back!

Noticed that the Calendar function on the Forum which was never widely used, and for good reason in my opinion in these days of much social much, was kind of a wasted link in the Forum navigation so...
  17. Re: Latest ignorant question: Bout like "boot" or like boxing mat

A gaggle of something, all right ... geese perhaps, honking and hiccoughing their way through rough, tough, thoroughly-coughed-up thoughts that ought to be sloughed off, because enough is enough! :))...
  18. Re: Learning Octave mando as a regular mando player.

If you're interested in that, tuning the bass up to A works very well, giving you ADae.
    I only ever use that tuning, and I can play in any key. It also lends itself to song accompaniment, especially...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

This is the second theme from Mike Oldfield's 1974 album Hergest Ridge. I'm playing the guitar parts on mandocello and octave mandolin and the oboe on mandola.

Jy7imMNHD9Q
  20. Re: Article: New Music by Joe K. Walsh - Bluegrass and the Abstra

Know where the (altered) title is derived from?

The Blues and the Abstract Truth - Oliver Nelson (1961)

https://assets.boomkat.com/spree/products/2905/large/original.jpg
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Pig Jicking?

To add to what lowtone2 has said, Marla emphasises this with her students, acknowledging that it's an effective way for them to get the desired emphasis when jig picking, and like most other...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Three string chords - good and bad?

you'll want to have all of them going on

3 string chords are never "bad"

remember genre often dictates which voicing you'll use...those long 4 string "chop" chords are for bluegrass, so...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: fret marker positions

For mandolin, the markers indicate frets where the notes are all naturals: no sharps or flats. So that is why we need markers at the 10th fret, and I suppose why there should be no marker on the...
  24. Re: Identify this British (?) mandolin player is Lilly Selden

It was made by Fred Langham of London. There should be f-holes in the sides. If you look closely near her finger in the photo you can sort of see them. I love the Micky Mouse ears on the headstock.
  25. Replies
    Views

A wee tune on the Sobell

https://youtu.be/zXU9I8tHgkU

Over many years playing traditional Scottish music with The Occasionals and many other great friends, I have been lucky enough to encounter a handful of remarkable...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4