Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Paul McCartney reunited with long-lost Hofner bass guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rrviOb-hg8
  2. Wyatt Ellis playing Land of Lincoln on the Karasik Lloyd Loar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOfxk0NvpVU
  3. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Context is everything. Beginner jam? Anything goes. Whatever gets people playing. Jam at my house? I really can't stand the Grateful Dead (sorry!), and I'm tired of hearing Wagon Wheel. Traditional...
  4. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

If you start banning songs because they reflect the sometimes less than pristine history of our country, then you'd better only play new songs and tunes. But eventually someone will even find them...
  5. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Well I vote a resounding no on banning songs/tunes/instruments/hats… Who decides and where does it stop? Plenty of tunes I don’t care for but when they are called I support the person calling them...
  6. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Wagon Wheel, the song all the cool kids hate and the audiences always love. Banning songs? We hold genre specific jams (old time, bluegrass, etc.) and even though folks show up for those jams we used...
  7. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

If you're in a jam with organized rules about tunes, you've got to follow them. Some people will be put off, some will love it, people come and go. Doesn't mean that over time the 'rules' won't...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

I find it somewhat disheartening to see Bill Monroe bandied about by many who did not know him. You never even knew the man and you are afraid of him? That’s ridiculous. The man has been dead...
  9. 'The mandolin sisters' - Indian Carnatic mandolin

4HulRsObons

Came across this on mastodon and thought you might all enjoy. These are both 5 string electric mandolins, as are common in Indian music and made famous by U. Srinivas.
  10. 30 Bluegrass Tunes EVERY Mandolinist Should Know(D Benedict)

this was a fun video to watch, neat to see images of the IBMA and the pro level players suggestions for these tunes, enjoyed this highly-and its perked a few tunes in my memory that i want to learn...
  11. Thread: Tommy and Sierra

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

Tommy and Sierra

Tommy seems to be on a mandolinist collaboration thing lately. This is nothing but beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlEbEBId9CQ
  12. Thread: Flexibility

by j. condino
    Replies
    Views

Re: Flexibility

Dave: Thx for the mention.

I definitely want to point out that the origins of my method came from seeing one of your earlier mandolins that had a removable back. Yours had ultralight nylon ...
  13. Thread: Flexibility

by Dave Cohen
    Replies
    Views

Re: Flexibility

Back plate stiffness vs top plate stiffness has an impact on the bass/treble balance of an instrument. I don''t like the word "tune", because that can be taken as implying that the parts of an...
  14. Compton|Newberry - Live in St. Louis…again

http://https://youtu.be/t9QPfZqFZyU?si=TEKFgB0Rn259IsZz
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Gibson Mandolin Needs Repair

It would be a shame, IMO, if the mandolin doesn't get the attention it needs because it costs more than its worth. Of course I understand, there is no way to monetize feelings about a great old...
  16. Tuba Skinny washboard player's mandolin side project

I have been following Tuba Skinny (New Orleans trad jazz) through YouTube vids for years ; today I learned that Robin Rapuzzi, their washboard player, plays mandolin. His trio, Rapuzzi Glo Worms,...
  17. Replies
    Views

RIP Roger Sprung

Roger Sprung has passed away. He was a fixture in the Folk to Bluegrass world. He once told me that he got the only guitar player he could find to play on one of his albums. That player was Doc...
  18. Replies
    Views

1898 Gibson Mandolin

This was posted from the Chapman shop in the Vintage Instruments section of the forum. Since many members may not visit that section, I really think it deserves to be posted here as well. The video...
  19. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Design Survey

Hey everyone, I've been working on this mandolin design survey, mostly for fun but hopefully the data will be useful to myself and others. The idea is to gather information on what different types of...
  20. Thread: arthritis

by John Rosett
    Replies
    Views

Re: arthritis

All the things mentioned above are good ideas, but not all work for everybody. The Voltaren cream had no effect for me, but I've heard that it works for other people. I take Meloxicam every day for...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson launches Certified Vintage Program

Against logic, I've found those Gibson bridges actually sound pretty good. The adjustable ceramic saddle, not the plastic bridge. The idea was simple -- to allow the player to adjust the saddle...
  22. Re: Trying to learn what makes a great new build (not vintage) ..

I have thought about this question a lot over the past year as I have tried to figure out how to make a professional-grade carbon fiber mandolin.

The real truth/growth serum for a builder is...
  23. Re: Trying to learn what makes a great new build (not vintage) ..

Answers that you're not looking for:
    1: Probably not, because we all go "Wow!" over different things.
    2: Experience. That is, what makes =you= go "Wow!"?
  24. Replies
    Views

Crusher turns 100!

Today I'm celebrating my old side-kick "Crusher" on its 100th birthday. We're both getting up (and hangin' in) there. I made up a new tune for us to play together, "Crusher's Cruise". I'm also...
  25. Re: Stan Jay, Pioneer of Vintage Instrument Fame Fighting For His

Miss having this guy in our musical world, a feeling I'm sure is shared by many.
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4