Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Chinese made mandolins (Northfield?)

I could use more homework, but im certainly not "trolling"
  2. Re: Eastman MD314 F-Style Oval Hole Mandolin Discontinued?

The Café just had one of those autoposts pointing out that instrument on the store's website.

https://massstreetmusic.com/products/eastman-mandolins-md314-cla
  3. Re: Eastman MD314 F-Style Oval Hole Mandolin Discontinued?

https://reverb.com/item/34012310-eastman-mandolins-md314-cla

I just saw this on Reverb. Looks like they have 2.
  4. Out of solidarity we will observe Blackout Tuesday

Since inception this site has attempted to serve as an oasis, a respite from the rest of the world, a place to relax, let down and get away from a lot of complicated news, hot button topics, and many...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Becoming a Luthier-How?

How to end up with a million dollars through lutherie: start with two million.

Consider being an amateur. An amateur isn't necessarily worse at something, they just do it because they love it,...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Del McCoury Band w/ Thile

Good points. Regardless of who is "better", they were all obviously having a great time.

Looked like Dell and the boys had a blast and certainly recognize Thile's immense talent. And I'm sure C.T....
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Stiver stories

I am fortunate to own and play a Stiver F5 #334. Purchased from Elderly's in 2015 and I haven't put it down since. very balanced, great chop and nice midrange. I have a friend who bought an 1984...
  8. Thread: Stiver stories

by Trich
    Replies
    Views

Re: Stiver stories

I'm the proud owner of a Stiver F5 #366 with a torrefied red spruce top. I bought it just over a year ago at Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh. When I was there trying out mandolins, they had 2...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Lloyd Loar soundboard thickness/

Searching the cafe is not always easy, often the best bet to find relevant results is via google using site:mandolincafe.com phrase in the search plus few well thought keywords.
    We who have been...
  10. Replies
    Views

Welcome to Cafe Enrico.
    I'd suggest forget the tuning process at least for few first mandolins and go for numbers. If you search the forums enough you'll find old threads about original specs and...
  11. Replies
    Views

I really do appreciate all the responses, but I want to assure you I have over the years looked through the archives and such.
    My post was an honest, yet I admit, somewhat cynical question as to...
  12. Replies
    Views

I think he was just frustrated... there are many different answers and they are buried deep in discussion much of the time. I don't fault tdnate. Some people haven't spent hundreds of hours digging...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: CNC Machining of Mandolin Top

I have never had tear out around the F holes. I assume everyone is cutting them after having done the carving. We use a downward spiral cutting bit. Our process, is to rough a majority off the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Tap tuning using a guitar tuner?

Mr. Coombe, glad you chimed in. I can't say that I loved reading your papers, but I really appreciated the education. And all the work you put in testing the theories. I understood only a fraction...
  15. Replies
    Views

In a first instrument I would ignore all the tap tuning stuff and just build it. There are many more important things to worry about. However if you want to read my stuff here are the links -
  16. Replies
    Views

This advice was passed on to me in a class on guitarmaking I took last week. It's not really tuning: what it is is maximizing vibrations throughout the "plate." All that stuff about different notes...
  17. Replies
    Views

I don't know how successful searching the topic of tap tuning would be here, but there have been quite a few discussions, and enough diligence might turn them up, especially if you're good at using...
  18. Replies
    Views

Yeah, just don't over-think it. You'll learn more by diving in and seeing what happens than having a stack of parts sitting in your shop for three years while you try to get everything perfect. I...
  19. Replies
    Views

Ok.... I've been doing a ton of tap tuning experiments over the last few weeks. Hopefully I don't lead you astray, but this is how my current understanding sits.

First of all, Siminoff makes tap...