Search:

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

When I was a student at Colorado State in the late '80's/early '90's, every Spring an old guy would come to Campus with his bible and scream at everyone in front of the Student Union. Calling us...
  2. Replies
    Views

The Victorian era ended in 1901. In that time, they also recommended cigarettes for asthma, chloroform for hiccups, cocaine for toothaches, and strychnine as a nice energy booster.

"I am...
  3. Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

Indeed. I just want to point out that the OP isn't helping much with the evolution of this discussion with his posts, which are replete with authoritarian pronouncements, dismissive assertions, and...
  4. Replies
    Views

"And now for something completely different......."
    Monty Python.
  5. Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

Perhaps at one time, and for a while, but not originally, nor in these modern times, completely. Makers now produce mandolins with four and five courses, in both double- and single-string...
  6. Percival Everett - man of impeccable taste

In addition to writing novels like Erasure, adopted for Oscar-winning film American Fiction, he plays jazz and repairs old mandolins.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

I teach mandolin and I will tell you (the short version) of what I do with my students and what I figured out to do when I was a beginner bridging into intermediate level.

You have not been...
  8. Replies
    Views

In terms of memorizing chord progressions of jazz standards – it's helpful to be aware of the "mini progressions" found within these structures. Within most any 8 measures of a standard tune you'll...
  9. Replies
    Views

I have two memorization tips.

1) Just as bigskygirl and others have said,try to relax and enjoy yourself.
    It will come naturally.

2) Umm err !.....I seem to have forgotten my 2nd memory tip.
  10. Re: NMC - Kind of - Guitar like Mandolessons

Wow, Dan, that’s like some *really* strong opinion, lol. I couldn’t disagree more.

But I do like Justin’s work a great deal. Also have a lot of respect for Marty Schwartz.

I disagree with your...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: OK, What Are The Odds ?

This proves that you need an ACOUSTIC metronome! Lol!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Overcoming halted progress and frustration

Playing it slowly is the obvious solution. The trick is to make "slowly" seem like the right tempo. Think Reggae or give it a heavy backbeat. Make it groove at a slow bluesy tempo. Overdo the swing...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Overcoming halted progress and frustration

Try break it down in phrases, and get those up to speed. Then try stringing two phrases together, and get those up to speed. Then string a third to the first two, etc. I’ve worked on East...
  14. Re: Overcoming halted progress and frustration

I don't have any advice except that sometimes you need to just take a break, play something entirely different and then come back to it, although I don't have any real suggestions on timing.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Doc Watson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBwPijCyy-4
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Doc Watson

Happy Birthday Doc.

https://youtu.be/PUn-mHfTTJA?feature=shared

https://youtu.be/PUn-mHfTTJA?feature=shared
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

I wonder if there are banjo players doing something like this.

https://youtu.be/Qc63_gd2r-M?feature=shared
  18. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

I was always told not to leave in instrument in a car in conditions that you wouldn't leave a dog or baby.
  19. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

If you do this don't open the case when you get home, 24 hours is the typical warm up time. Especially if it is in the case wrapped in a blanket or sleeping bag. Two hours in a car would not be...
  20. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

No.

A student of mine had a good late 40's Gibson guitar, and left it in his car all day in a parking garage on a 20 degree day.
    When he showed up for his lesson, I saw light through the...
  21. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Not the murdered man ballads? :confused:
  22. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Wow, lots of feedback! I appreciate it.

To put some additional context here regarding the "inclusivity" aspect of some of the responses.

Myself and a few friends host about 4 jams a week in...
  23. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Been there: Senior Citizens' club Christmas luncheon, maybe 5 years ago. Requested song was "Edelweiss", and that gig is now one of MY warmest memories!
  24. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I've never encountered a song ban at a jam before. Wagon Wheel just doesn't get called much around here. I'm not sure that would be the one I would ban, as it has a straightforward chord progression...
  25. Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

I'm fine with "mando". Also with "mandocello", "sax","uke","keys", "vibes", and "synth".

But don't call me "Chris".
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4