Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Has anyone played in Ireland Jam Sessions?

Just a heads up to the OP - we don't call them "jam sessions" over here, just sessions (ye might get a funny look if you walked in somewhere and asked if they had "jam sessions" there ), also...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Sad news - Jesse McReynolds passes

This showed up today on Sam Bush's facebook page. From a "roast" on Jesse's 85th birthday in 2014. Just delightful! :mandosmiley:

(If it's not displaying properly, click on the image strip, go...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Sad news - Jesse McReynolds passes

It has been said that Blues are about (nothing but) "A man and a woman" and the pain that results;
    The finest Bluegrass numbers are the same. Jim and Jesse singing one of their favorite songs:

4. Replies
    Views

Re: 1910 A-1 with fantastic wide grain

Now that's what really matters. I don't play the wood grain...I play mandolin. Assuming the action is good, it's the sound that counts.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastiks on a Collings MT?

Bumping up an old thread with an update.

I had every intention of putting some TIs on my MT for the last few years, but it seems like every time I needed strings I was in a bind and bought some...
  6. Thread: R.i.p. Ian tyson

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

Re: R.i.p. Ian tyson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3m7ckGhnsc
  7. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Ed...

I've been giving your post some thought over a coffee this morning.

All of these tunes have been around for a long time - even a tune like the Stack Of Rye which was, in the scheme of...
  8. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Aiden, I believe many of us can relate to your health issues. Some days it is just one foot in front of the other that gets you to the finish line. To keep plugging on will be the best medicine.
  9. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Time for an update on the usage of my website and its associated YouTube channel. I sometimes wonder if the amount of time and effort which I put into maintaining both of these is worth it. That's...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Music Theory For Mandolin

You're right, music theory isn't instrument specific. I want to create a resource that helps target mandolin specifically though. For example, in the worksheet we take a look at what the four open...
  11. Replies
    Views

Music Theory For Mandolin

What's up! Hope you like pasta and music theory.

Just pushed out my first video of a series called 'Music Theory for Mandolin'. I'm going to be starting from the music theory I learned from my...
  12. Thread: Peter Ostroushko

by DougC
    Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko

Thanks for the reminder. He was a dear friend who was proud of his heritage and at the same time a great 'American' in the sense that he maintained that everyone is worthy of respect.
  13. Replies
    Views

A fun little comparison video

Since receiving my "new-to-me" '82 Flatiron 1N I've been playing it nonstop! That is until I changed the strings on my Red Valley EM (flat top)... after I was finished changing them I played the Red...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: why no carbon fiber mandolins?

Synergy social media: 7+ weeks since last Instagram post. Last YouTube post Aug 27. One individual reported last communication regarding payment was September 3. Since that time, nothing. Searching...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Irvine / Paul Brady

Magic! Still hoping to see them on their reunion tour. Good to be reminded how good Paul is on mandolin actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM6-WvSItuc
  16. Caitríona Lagan - a mighty young talent...

Check out the video of Caitríona Lagan playing The Duke Of Leinster/Travers' on octave mandola. Stunning playing. She's one of the finest young players of Irish trad on GDAE instruments that I've...
  17. Re: What Irish/Scottish music do Irish/Scottish people listen to?

Thanks for taking the time to look these up and post them. I listened to them all and really enjoyed "I'm a Rover" the best. The simplicity of the arrangement and the catchy melody are great. I...
  18. Re: What Irish/Scottish music do Irish/Scottish people listen to?

If you want to go down a rabbit hole of great Irish trad music, the YouTube channel for Hup (a great trad programme that was on TG4, our Irish language station) is a good starting point:
  19. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

I've just paid this year's renewal fees for The Irish Mandolin and I thought it might be an opportune moment to give a bit off an update on how the site has been developing over the last little...
  20. Re: What artist/album got you started with Trad?

Prior to getting heavily into trad music I had played guitar and drums since I was a kid, mainly in punk bands. As a kid our family had a lot of singers in it, fans of the folk/ballad singer boom,...
  21. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Moderator edit: Please refrain from commerce in the Forum, as per Guidelines. The Classifieds section is more appropriate.
  22. Fisher's Hornpipe // One Man Jam Session

Here is another one man jam (boy I can't wait to pick with my band again...) on Fisher's Hornpipe. Hope y'all are staying safe and warm out there!

https://youtu.be/TCmL0X6OCMc
  23. Replies
    Views

Concerning Hobbits

https://youtu.be/y327vWkXBLs

Ran across this wonderful piece and wanted to share. Not sure if this fellow is a member here or not. Enjoy!
  24. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

You're not wrong there, Jill. A gentleman and (literally!) a scholar. I'm very fortunate to have made his acquaintance, regardless of the gift he made me. Simply being able to share our mutual...
  25. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

What a stunning mandolin. Really nice looking. And very nice playing, too.

And, yes, it's sometimes fun to play the tunes slower than "standard". But if you get too slow, then you might end up in...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4