Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Herschel Sizemore passes

here is a fairly recent interview with Herschel, by Christopher Henry.... It could be as recent as a month or two ago...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYuOSyZCn9Q
    John D
  2. Re: Holding on to your personal Holy Grail mandolin

I can’t say for certain that I have, but after a recent trip to a shop that had a gorgeous Carlson signed Flatiron, a couple of Collings, and a smattering of other nice mandos, I walked away...
  3. Re: Looking for some insight into microtonal mandolin

here’s a video i made in explanation of the microtonal mandolin, perhaps this will lend some clarity to the discussion:

https://youtu.be/_LdUSsPS6lE

-flynn
    www.flynncohen.net
  4. Re: Chris Thile & Aoife O'Donovan Lakes of Pontchartrain

This is lovely, for sure. My favorite rendition aside from Paul Brady's is on a 1980 LP by Trapezoid and sung as a duet by Lorraine Duisit and Freyda Epstein. It never fails to bring tears to my...
  5. Chris Thile, Bela Fleck and Julian Lage - Telluride 2009

Hi, just found a video of Chris Thile, Bela Fleck and Julian Lage from Telluride 2009 in my archive a few days ago. The concert took place at a small stage. We set on a grass maybe three metres in...
  6. Re: Ellis Deluxe Mandolin #110 - scam sales on eBay and elsewhere

eBay finds a new way forward with their incompetency in the area of security and sounding site coding. I honestly didn't think it could get that bad. I was clearly wrong.

Signed up for an alert...
  7. Re: Looking for some insight into microtonal mandolin

Old Time musicians in the local Round Peak style played fiddle and fretless banjo to access all those notes.

https://youtu.be/HmsDq_cRakY

https://youtu.be/xjznIamzwxs
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Michael Cleveland on Mandolin

Michael Cleveland is a great musician and has been since he was a mere kid. The F style mandolin he is with in these photos is a Gilchrist that was made in 1995. It was built for me just the way I...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Need help identifying date of my F2

+1 for Bob/rcc56. 1919 to 1921.
  10. Replies
    Views

The lable shows evidence of it having been sprayed over - as far as I’m aware, all labels were inserted after instruments were finished and they should show no evidence of being sprayed over. What I...
  11. Replies
    Views

Sometimes, I can see the most by viewing the label from several different angles in natural daylight.
    The instrument has been refinished, and the bridge is a Gibson replacement from no earlier than...
  12. Replies
    Views

The mandolin appears to have had some re-work, and the serial number has certainly been re-written.
    Without seeing more pictures of the instrument, I would tentatively estimate the year as 1920 +/-...
  13. Replies
    Views

It appears that the inlaid buttons were mainly used on F4 mandolins not F2 models and Gibson stopped getting the inlaid buttons in 1917 or 1918 and continued using Handel tuners until 1922. It is...
  14. Replies
    Views

I thought serial numbers were always in pencil. It does appear that a number is under the ink. Perhaps use a different light to reveal this penciled number. Almost looks like a 5 under the 8,...
  15. Replies
    Views

Those tuners are typical of the earlier Waverly style. Interestingly, they have Philips screws which Gibson began to use in 1939 and they appear to be the Gibson type although I may be wrong on that....
  16. Replies
    Views

That number does look a bit odd. You should show the tuners, as they may help to date it. The bridge is adjustable- I can't tell if it is original but that was an early 1920s development as was the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Sound of the American Mandolin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv5E7OlKI5k&t=2061s
    Sure everyone else has seen this but I just tripped onto it. Pretty cool.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: McGraw/Hubbard Mandolin Player

That’s Dean Brown, he’s been with Tim for about 25 years.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tony Rice

Tony boldly took the bluegrass guitar where no bluegrass guitar had gone before --- a cause and effect of his participation on the first couple of David Grisman Quintet albums. I still find his...
  20. Re: Use of D'addario Humidpaks for mandolins

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/111154-Humidipak-WARNING
  21. “Satan is Real” Louvin Brothers movie looks like it’s happening

Delighted to see the mention of Michael Daves in this week’s issue of The New Yorker, where a profile on actor Ethan Hawke described Michael coaching Hawke on voice and mando for his role as Ira...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: New Northfield/Gilchrist tailpiece-Nice!

I just finished installing the NF/Gilchrist tailpiece on my NF5-S. The install was very easy, and the holes line up perfectly. The replacement screws allowed me to tighten everything down snugly. ...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile Bach CD has Landed

Okay, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers... and I certainly didn't imagine that the word "lazy" could cause such, especially when I explained that I meant he took the "path of least resistance"...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Great music history/theory narratives?

That's an interesting question... most good music writing I've run into have been interesting rather than entertaining, and the current academic style is to hold back from turning history into a...
  25. Re: Herschel Sizemore - Mandolin in B Documentary

I just got an email from the local bluegrass society for an upcoming screening of this documentary, so it must have finished already. Wondering when and where I can get a DVD copy soon.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3