Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

I don't have the carbon fiber case, but I got one of the fiberglass F-style cases when they first came out last year. The color of my lining is exactly like the photo you posted.
  2. Replies
    Views

Oregon Jamboree on May 19

Workshops are open for registration at no charge with support from a grant from the City of Wilsonville. Wilsonville is just south of Portland.
  3. Oregon convention for mandolin, fiddle, guitar, & others in April

Several different styles will be explored for mandolin, fiddle, guitar, and other string instruments at this small town venue in southern Oregon. Workshops, jams, and performances will be...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson's 1923 F-5 Master Model Reissue

how i would answer the question, if you like the tone of the Dave Harvey builds(i do) and you play the flat fretboards with the small frets with no issue, you will not be disappointed.

i've had a...
  5. Red Wing: Creativity with Constraints Improv Exercise

I thought folks on this board might be interested in this video I made of the classic western swing fiddle tune Red Wing. I like exercises that force you to be creative within specific parameters - I...
  6. RECOVERED Re: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

My lost 1922 Gibson F4 mandolin has been found, here is the story…

Last week I received an email correspondence, through my website, from a operations supervisor of a retailers distribution...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Thumb to damp g course?

When I play some of the slower Irish/Scottish tunes, an adjacent string pair may still ring out a little and clash with the following notes. It's more of an issue on the octave mandolin with longer...
  8. Re: Solo mandola: Le Petit Chien (schottische) by Andy Cutting

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the video. I have to agree this Pomeroy mandola looks and sounds spectacular, however I had nothing to do with its specs. To the best of my knowledge, I'm probably the third...
  9. Solo mandola: Le Petit Chien (schottische) by Andy Cutting

I recorded a version of this tune several months ago with overdubbed guitar and bass. I've received some requests since then for a solo version of the tune featuring just mandola. Long story short, I...
  10. Replies
    Views

John Brosnan's Reel

I decided to give this tune a go, and in the process of experimenting with it, came up with this somewhat unique version. Pretty untraditional, but hopefully enjoyable to listen to.

(Yeah, yeah,...
  11. Octave mandolin - how to tune and what strings to use VIDEO

One of the more common questions asked -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avyGeh2Umzo&ab_channel=N.K.ForsterGuitars

Nigel
    www.nkforsterguitars.com
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: "Noodling" at Sessions

It seems to me that if there's a percentage of people who clearly feel like irish trad sessions are elitist/unwelcoming/set too high a bar regarding tune knowledge then the solution would be to start...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: "Noodling" at Sessions

I've been playing regularly at sessions around the world for 30 years or more and I don't think I've heard the term "noodling" used in real life.

However, I've seen it used a lot on "the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning issue, what is causing this?

Yup. The slot is all filled up with luthier's tears.....;)
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning issue, what is causing this?

That sounds correct to me. If you don't have nut files take it somewhere and have them file the nut for the size of string you are using.
  16. Thread: New OM

by peter.coombe
    Replies
    Views

New OM

Here is my latest OM. Made as a custom order, and is now in the hands of the happy customer. I am a very happy luthier, it turned out way better than expected, and more will be made in the future. ...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are the live, in-person events for 2021?

At the top of this forum under the picture of the mandolin, click "Learn/Listen". Then click "Workshops and Camps". Lots of in-person events happening in the West.
  18. Replies
    Views

Guitar bodied OM

Just finished and am about to deliver this lovely little Parlour King OM.

https://www.nkforsterguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Parlour-king-OM-7.jpg

It was made for a Buddhist monk, an...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: octave on valium?

I can now clear this up definitively, I think. I just talked to Bruce Weber in person this week.

Background: My wife and I just got our second Covid vaccinations, and with the idea of "Road Trip"...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: octave on valium?

"Octave on valium" might not have been the best marketing message for the difference in a 20" scale OM. :)

I play a 22" scale Weber OM, and have been able to test-drive a few others with shorter...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Setting intonation on octave mandolin

Chris, that John Pearse set was specifically designed for your instrument! You will like it a lot! And yes, the terminology is confusing. I don’t know why they choose to call it octave Mandola but...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Setting intonation on octave mandolin

I just wanted to clarify a bit on the string question. Why would one use mandola strings on an octave mandolin? The answer to the question lies in the scale length. There is no standard octave...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Good bye Chick

i saw him a couple of times but never with this ensemble. The album, though, really turned me into a Chick Corea, Mike Brecker, Eddie Gomez, and Steve Gadd fan. I wore out 2 vinyls and still listen...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap for 'F' octave mandolin

Another big fan of Lakota Leathers. I probably have about 10 of their straps on mandolins, a mandola, octave, resonator, mandocello, banjolin, guitars and ukulele. Go here and scroll down.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap for 'F' octave mandolin

I highly recommend Lakota Leathers straps. They offer my fav Bison leather which is supple, strong and durable. One end has a slot to feed the strap through to make a loop for F-style OM's and...
Page 1 of 2 1 2