Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. A Beatles V-day tune for loved ones who tolerate our mando habit

reel/C3WSE_vvAlK
  2. Replies
    Views

NK Forster Session King mandolin

A recent build that will be heading out to England soon.

A Session King Celtic O mandolin in European spruce and mahogany.

Video to follow.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar tuning - CGDA vs GDAE ????

It's worth knowing that a normal plain steel string will break fairly quickly when tuned above G4 at a 25.5" scale length.

If it's a heavier string, it's stronger, but requires higher tension,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Wow... nope.

Tenor banjo was tuned to match viola tuning. I think the first documented commercial tenor banjo dates to 1908, with a method for its CGDA tuning dating to 1913.

4-string tenor...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Building a Mandolino Bresciano in 40 pictures

Popped out of the form and leveled on a sanding board:

The end clasp completes the bowl construction:

6. Replies
    Views

Building a Mandolino Bresciano in 40 pictures

The Mandolino Bresciano Project:

I recently became fascinated with the bowl back mandolin known as the Mandolino Brescaino (MB for short). It is a four string instrument with gut strings and a...
  7. Sierra Hull - Tennessee Waltz transcription

Hey all,

Here is a transcription I did of Sierra Hull's solo arrangement of the Tennessee Waltz:
    https://www.soundslice.com/slices/RP6Mc/

There's some great chord melody language in here, and...
  8. Replies
    Views

Small guitar body octave mandolin

A new octave mandolin strung up yesterday for a local customer. Carved Sitka soundboard Indian rosewood back and sides with pale Otways blackwood bindings. Ebony fretboard with a 22"/56cm scale with...
  9. Replies
    Views

Music Theory For Mandolin

What's up! Hope you like pasta and music theory.

Just pushed out my first video of a series called 'Music Theory for Mandolin'. I'm going to be starting from the music theory I learned from my...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar tuned to GDAE, is it worth it?

Your are like a bloody parrot but in any case CGDA is fantastic for Autumn Leaves !

https://youtu.be/E2gHIhK-_r0
  11. Replies
    Views

s11141827 seems to be on a mission to resurrect all the dead threads so they can recommend John Pearse strings. I'm sure they're not connecting to the company in any way though.......
  12. Thread: Shaping an archtop

by fox
    Replies
    Views

Shaping an archtop

Not a mandolin in this case but the same method would apply to any archtop.
    I started off using gouge's and mini planes, I can remember it taking me two full days to carve a 6 string acoustic...
  13. Bach's Invention in C Minor for Mandolin/Octave Mandolin

Made a new video with one of Bach's more accessible piece. Mandolin used here is a 2011 Gilchrist and the octave is a 2020 Northfield Archtop Octave.

p2faTrSMBTg

And I was going to post this...
  14. Thread: custom oval hole

by Rbaer
    Replies
    Views

Re: custom oval hole

It was a pleasure working with John and I am thrilled with this instrument. I'll attempt to post a video of it here. Here goes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrXEZ12wLA
  15. Looking for info on my Vega 2 point mandolin

Not looking to sell, I love it.. Trying to get some info, as it is arched top and back (not cylinder back) and has F holes- I'm guessing 1930's, but can't find much info that matches it. Any help is...
  16. Replies
    Views

custom oval hole

It's been a while since I posted any pictures and since this one is somewhat unusual (for me) here goes. This was a custom order; wide curly maple dyed red (a la F4), blonde top, Gibson style...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile using an SM57 mic

I ran sound for the Steel Drivers once, and Brent Truitt was cool with a 57. Me, I'm rather fond of my K&K's.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Really good tremelo exercises?

" Minimum Daily Requirement "
    By David Grisman, should do it.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Parlour King 19" tenot

Its been ages since I started this instrument, but I've been slowed down by the weather of late - it's been very humid here in Queensland and that has prevented me gluing things together for weeks on...
  20. free live concert by Elderly, Nora Brown, April 7

set your calendar, even if you are not into open back banjo, enjoy the journey this young lady will take you on. seen her play 2 finger and clawhammer old appalachian music. I think she's in the 10th...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: A new guitar bodied bouzouki

Hello Clement and Monte,

All well here and enjoying life making expensive sawdust. The quartets are getting closer. Hopefully starting the first couple in the next few weeks.

Cheers
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Pros/Cons - 4 vs. 8 strings

I played mandolin for quite awhile. Then went to mandola. Then to tenor guitar. Then strung my mandolin to CGDA. Then got rid of my picks. Now am dropping to 4 strings on the dropped mandolin. I...
  23. Adam Rhodes playing a 10 string guitar bouzouki

The 10 string that was stolen in 2018 was found last year. Because of lockdown its taken months to get the gzouk back to ship shape. Currently, she's being looked after by Adam Rhodes up in Glasgow....
  24. Re: What is a 12-15 Year Old Eastman MD-915 Worth?

Thank you Eric for the support. It’s comments like the above that make me hesitant to post or ask for help. I’ll stay in the shadows and let the experts do their thing.
  25. Re: What is a 12-15 Year Old Eastman MD-915 Worth?

Jeez, she asked for an estimated price, not opinions on its quality.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3