Search:

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Electric mandolin strings

I usually buy packs of Ernie Ball Slinky 9s and 10s and use a combination of the strings to match the Emando set as closely as possible (it's not exact, but close). I'm usually able to get 2 string...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on mandolin Upgrade

Also, a Howard Morris mandolin just popped up in the classifieds, reminding me that he builds some excellent instruments that can be found at your preferred price point. I'm not sure if he builds...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on mandolin Upgrade

All good advice above. Any of the three Breedloves linked to Reverb will check your boxes. I also play guitar, bass, uke, banjo (well, I own one and can play a few songs on it), and octave mando, so...
  4. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Being relatively close to Lowe Vintage and having taken a couple of trips to Carter's and Gruhn's, I've been able to get my hands on some good 'uns. I've played three Loars (two 1923s and a 1924). 2...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

In my admittedly very limited experience primarily playing at church (sometimes through the PA and sometimes with a Fender Passport), it’s hard to get them preset at home because each room is going...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Church Praise Band Question

Maybe instead of, “In that case,” you could state, “Once I can understand your perspective, I won’t ask again.” The English major in me is thinking, “Make him tell you why it’s really a ‘no.’” Pin...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Demonstrating a mandolin

The young lady who did the latest Klos CF review did a nice job with her demonstration, and I agree that her type of approach tells you more about an instrument than someone tearing it up who I’ll...
  8. Re: Billy Strings and Christopher Henry - Midnight on the Stormy

Both are spectacular in that clip…and generally the rest of the time, too!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Very nice work, Spencer, and sounding great! Bill, I see where you’re coming from regarding the fir staining…Spencer, you just need to advertise this as “naturally distressed” and charge a little...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: The Dewey Murphy Loar Mandolin Project

That cracks me up, too!
  11. Re: Red Wing: Creativity with Constraints Improv Exercise

If only you had a decent mandolin to pick on. Sigh.
    Of course I’m joking! Nicely done, sir, and that Nugget really sings in your hands!! I’m going to have to play with this one tonight...
  12. Re: Chris Thile & Billy Strings Saturday Morning Sessions

That’s a great day right there, JB!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Average cost for Mandolin set up

Jeff, I totally hear where you’re coming from, but this particular guy has some health issues requiring immunosuppression and needs the social outlet (especially the past few years). He knows that I...
  14. Thread: Gig material

by CES
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gig material

Oh, NO YOU DIDNT!! ;)

(I don’t hate WW like some, and if it gets the crowd stoked, agree, go for it)…
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Dagger Gordon plays Ae Fond Kiss

So gorgeous, Dagger! Thank you for posting that. Your Sobell sounds amazing in your hands!!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: First jam since before the Pandemic

So, prior to 2020 the youth praise band at our church tried to do this a couple of times to rehearse and work through new material when getting together in person was difficult (after school...
  17. Thread: Top Current Makers

by CES
    Replies
    Views

Re: Top Current Makers

I'd add Giacomel to the list as well, but I have an odd fascination with his J-5s, so there's that. Played side by side with mandolins from many of the other builders listed initially (at Carter's...
  18. Thread: Double NMD

by CES
    Replies
    Views

Re: Double NMD

Very nice, indeed! Great work, Graham!!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins are 2-3x more than equivelent guitars?

Think about it in terms of arch tops. Arch top guitars, because of the additional carving/voicing required, tend to be 2-3 times the price of a comparable flat top, though admittedly not always....
  20. Thread: whatever you play

by CES
    Replies
    Views

Re: whatever you play

Jim,

I had that experience once with an Ibanez 000 sized guitar that had a solid top and laminate B/S. They just got it right, set up was great, and it was like $399, with onboard pickup and EQ....
  21. Thread: Oval vs F holes

by CES
    Replies
    Views

Re: Oval vs F holes

If you want to play bluegrass with others, get the 305. The projection, chop quality, and cut through a mix will be better. If you want to play anything but bluegrass, the 304 will give you more...
  22. Thread: DI for K&K pickup?

by CES
    Replies
    Views

Re: DI for K&K pickup?

It's more having the EQ and tuner options for me. Sometimes I'd have a board and a sound guy, sometimes it was just the band running through a Fender Passport, which has some EQ, but it was easier to...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

While I don't disagree that there are circumstances where strict DUDU picking may not work best in a given song or style, my playing made a significant jump in speed and consistent volume when I...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: What flavor Bluechip should I try?

CT-55 and TAD 60 are my go to picks. Well, my 60 is a 1R, but I never use the round point. I have Wegens, Tone Slabs, Prime Tones, Millers, Dunlops, the Mike Marshal Apollo pick, Clown Barfs, and all...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: What is your favorite Chris Thile quote?

I concur, sir! 😹😹😹
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4