Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Marshall As50D vs Fishman Loudbox Mini

I've owned both, and they are both decent amps. The Marshall is a very old design, and lacks some of the features on the Fishman. The Fishman is lighter and smaller. Overall, Fishman for me.
  2. Re: Audio-Technica 40 Series Microphones, Compared

I've used the 4040 a lot, and I'm impressed with it. Fairly 'neutral' sound to my ears, and works well on stringed instruments and vocals. Pretty quiet for studio use as well. I used to use it live...
  3. Re: Tell me about your Gibson A5L mandolin.....

I have a 2005 A5L signed by Danny Roberts. Mine has the Gibson tone in spades. Not quite as punchy as my F5, but that's a real monster. The tailpiece has been replaced with a Price, (I have the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Windsor Model D mandolin

I have an absolute rule; never buy instruments at festivals. Your head is full of music, and you make bad decisions.....rules. Hmmmm...
    This was a basket case, with a badly set neck repair and a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Best CHEAP mixer for a live band ?

I'll add a recommendation for the Soundcraft Ui12. I bought one for my wife to use with her own PA. She only knows basic stuff about sound reinforcement, but she was up and running after a 10 minute...
  6. Replies
    Views

DR Strings; never again

There has been a lot of praise for DR strings on the forum, and I do agree that they are great strings to play and listen to. I won't be buying them again. The last four times I've tried to re-string...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Help Needed with Spaghetti

I run fairly big sound gigs from time to time, and I've had all my xlr cables on reels for years. I also use coloured insulating tape around each end of the cable to tell me how long the cable is....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: DR 11 strings stockists Europe

I've had very good service (and excellent prices) from Strings and Beyond in the States. Reasonable postage rates, and they have regular offers on free international shipping. String packages very...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 'Red Snark' Tuners.

Good info, Ivan. I have lots of Snarks, and I've never had a problem with marking. However, I now don't use any of them. The TC Electronics Polytune clip-on is simply the best tuner I've ever seen or...
  10. Re: Audio Technica Pro 35 clip on--need phantom power source?

The Pro35 comes with an adapter to take a standard XLR cable. The board in the church is pretty much certain to have a phantom power supply. One solution that has more than one use is to get a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: David bowie RIP

He didn't need the big studio production to help him either. This a version of 'Heroes', done at one of the many unpublicised charity gigs he played. Check out the bass playing, and the 'bottle cap'...
  12. Re: Mandolin setup in north east England????? Help me!

I can strongly recommend Rob Gibbs, who has recently moved to Whitby, not far from you. He's a guitar builder, but does repairs and setups as well. He's just done a brilliant rescue job on a Rob...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Interesting Hoyer for sale

This is another one. I was asked to restore this by a friend. It was a basket case; someone had nailed a six-string De Armond pickup onto the end of the neck, the tuners were seized beyond repair,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Rigel A+ Deluxe amplified

Just to let you know, Len; the Atomic Burst Rigel A+ Custom you sold is still singing beautifully. I have to say, I've never had amplification problems with this mandolin. I'm always very careful...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: teleprompting equipment

iPad with OnSong, controlled with a bluetooth pedal. Great app, allows you to download, import and write in songs/chords. Very flexible and easy to use.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thiles mandolin clip on microphone?

Lots of answers to the mounting question in this thread from a few months back... http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?119319-DPA-4099-vs-Audio-Technica-ATM350
  17. Re: Are Peterson Stroboclip Tuners worth the price?

I've used Intellitouch, Intelli, Snark, Petersen, NS micro and any number of cheap clip on tuners. My search for a tuner is over, having found the TC Polytune clip on. The big advantage is the fast...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Ear Trumpet Mic: Louise

We use one with our band The Slippery Hill Boys. It replaced a very good Audio Technica AT4040, and was a distinct improvement. It manages the trick of sounding warm and detailed at the same time,...
  19. Thread: Thomann

by mandotim1955
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thomann

They most certainly do offer free shipping back to Thomann. I had to return a guitar from the UK, and there was a straightforward, quick, no-quibble return and refund. They sent me an online postage...
  20. Sara Watkins, Sarah Jarosz and Aoife O'Donovan show

Hi all. I went to see the 'I'm With Her' tour in Biddulph, UK on Thursday. Quite a coup to get these three musicians in the Town Hall of a small mining town in the UK, and the evening was a privilege...
  21. Re: Saturday haiku contest to win a Cafe ball cap

Writing a poem
    In seventeen syllables
    Is very diffic....
  22. Re: I'm listening to one of these tonight...

Sorry for teasing! It's a Swedish instrument called a Latmandola, played in this case by the fabulous Marit Fallt. It's like an octave mandolin, but with ten strings. The two bass pairs are octave...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Ear Trumpet Microphone

Perhaps the difference might have been that audiences in those days used to listen, and not screech at each other through every song...
  24. Re: Question on condenser mics for bluegrass band

Until recently we used an Audio Technica AT4040, with good results. We've just acquired an Ear Trumpet Labs 'Louise' condenser, with modern electronics and vintage looks. Couldn't be happier with it....
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The End of Guitar Center

Re the Behringer drift on this thread. I sold all my Behringer stuff years ago, and replaced some of it with Mackie equivalents. I had more trouble with the Mackie stuff than I ever did with...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3