Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Silk Mando Bag Used Inside the Case

Just a guess that maybe it was simply to keep rosin dust from the bows, typically stored in the lid, off the violin?

I’d think it would get to be a pain with the string ends at the tuners always...
  2. Re: The downside list of Upside Down tuning machines

To me, "over/under" is much more obvious because I think of "upside down" tuners as (e.g.) worm-over tuners installed in a location designed worm-under ones, i.e., so the turning of the keys goes...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: I miss the Classified Guitar posts....

I don't, honestly, and I play guitar at least as much as mandolin (neither not enough). And, there are a couple acoustic-guitar focused forums where I can find hundreds of guitars for sale, never...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

Yes, Aged-Tone is Bourgeois for “torrified.” I had a chance to play one of the earlier Martin “Authentic” models with a torrified top, as well as an actual 1930s model of the same guitar and an...
  5. Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

I kind of agree with what @Jay posted, though, admittedly, direct recording of the signal is not going to sound like your instrument going into a PA. However, what you have at home may not respond...
  6. Re: Billy Strings and Christopher Henry - Midnight on the Stormy

That's just great! Thanks.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Church Praise Band Question

FD, I played in a couple of praise teams for several years, not to mention choirs, brass quintets, and even full orchestras in churches. (I don't do that anymore, and haven't for just over 10 years.)...
  8. Re: Eastmans Galore at Fuller's in Houston

They only have a few [Eastmans] actually hanging out in the shop, and they might have a couple other mandolins on the wall that they don't list on Reverb. They used to carry Collings but I haven't...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Nashville Chord changes

After reading both posts, I'm not quite sure what you're asking!

If it's "Nashville Numbering" system, a single number by itself means that's the chord that is played for the entire measure. The...
  10. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

Well, yes, you've answered your own question. In statistics, we call those "outliers." Mass production relies on building to a single spec, essentially, recognizing that all the parts are not 100%...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Emma's Waltz (Emman Valssi)

I've heard that in the Swedish "Scandi" numbers that we dance to. One of my favorites.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Monel Strings with a wrap?

I’d really suspect them to be flat-wound. That’s the only reason they’d be wrapped at both ends. Only the E is solid.

Aside - I’ve wondered if you could take a couple packs of metal fiddle strings...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Question About Carry-On Instruments

I don't think trying to push a piece of paper into an airline pilot's hands is going to get you very far - possibly not even past the gate. Here's a link that describes what is expected, but the big...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Fall camp recommendation?

Another recommendation for the Monroe Camp. I've been twice, and while the first time was pretty daunting, it was a great experience and eye-opener on what I needed to work on. I had a blast at the...
  15. Re: Getting Started in 2024 - What's The Move?

The future is a difficult thing to pin down. If you're really starting, unless you're unlike nearly everyone here, you should assume you're going to buy at least one more mandolin before you're done,...
  16. Re: Hopefully better questions about Brazilian Rosewood

Maybe someone would build a mandolin from BRW, but the bigger market is probably in guitar sets. If the owner can get it cut into a couple of sets for a guitar, then it might be worth something. Raw,...
  17. Replies
    Views

Schottis från Haverö

Over the holidays we had a lot of people/family in town and last week they said they wanted to go to an open mic I've spent a lot of time at, and wanted to hear myself and our son play together -...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Interesting F2 (F4)

link:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/395073291536
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Locking your mandolin case

I haven’t locked a case but when I’m traveling (by air or train, e.g.) I add a Velcro strap as a safeguard against latches getting undone. Never even had that happen, of course, but it makes me feel...
  20. Re: Is "Mr Sun Plays Duke Ellington's Nutcracker Suite" bluegrass

If it’s music in your own [iTunes/Apple Music] library, you can change the genre to whatever you want. (My “Genus” Christmas playlist is all “Holiday” music from my own library, and a some of those...
  21. Re: Tailpiece tines are bent upward: new tailpiece needed?

Yeah, it mostly looks like someone bent them up (except for the bottom G!) to make re-stringing easier, though they've gone a bit far. As suggested, if you can bend them down a a tiny bit and maybe...
  22. Re: Difference between the "new" and old Eastman MD615 models

Did you try to contact Eastman with this question? I had a 2009 815v I got from a friend and they were very responsive to questions about that specific instrument. (Include the serial number.)
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: The Honeymoon is OVER!!!

I don't have a cover on this NF tailpiece, but I keep a spot of blue/fun-tack kind of stuff handy (some more in the pick-filled Altoids tin). I'm assuming you can at least see the hooks/posts/fingers...
  24. Re: Pick selection time: And the survey says……

When you get a little further along you'll probably find that there may not be "the one" pick for everything, unless you change strings frequently and always play the exact same style of music. For a...
  25. Re: Winter's Tale 5 - free sheet music for mandolin trios

I was looking for notation for Carol of the Bells for mandolin - hoping to rope our son in on this, but didn't come across this in time. Since the wife and I are laid up with the sniffles (a gift...
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4