Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs. Dots

This discussion is indeed time-worn, but there are always some interesting new views - particularly the comparisons to language in this thread.

If you want to learn by ear to speak Italian, for...
  2. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by DavidKOS
    Replies
    Views

Hey, good for you and all the best!

Sue, what you describe about your school music experience is what I complain about...music ed that never addresses the basic issues of the inner ear.

Instead...
  3. Replies
    Views

There have been a number of ways and methods of reading/writing music that have come and gone over the years. Some of these are still used today. “Shaped notes” immediately comes to mind, but there...
  4. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by DavidKOS
    Replies
    Views

That depends on how you were taught to read standard notation...which in the Italian tradition was a way to sing before you were ever given an instrument.

So I disagree, learning to sight-sing...
  5. Replies
    Views

Vinaccia Mandolin for auction.

Vinaccia Mandolin from 1903 on auction at Catawiki:

https://www.catawiki.com/en/l/82781147-vinaccia-neapolitan-mandolin-mandolin-italy-1903
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: ID on bowl back please

Your "as received" photo gives me hope that this old Brambilla might be salvageable should my ship ever come in. This was dropped from a shelf in my grandfather's closet by his butterfingered heirs....
  7. Replies
    Views

Wow, nice job so far!

My opinion of Stridente's is that they sound nice, but have a quite profound tendency to self-destruct :(

Traditionally these had "shelf" bridges like this:

8. Replies
    Views

Thanks Mick, yes the neck is relatively straight and despite refretting it, i think I may yet replace the board with some built in relief. I added extra stiffening just forward of the sound hole....
  9. Replies
    Views

NMD: New (bowl back) Mandola Day

I wanted to share my wonderful experience with purchasing a bowl back Mandola from Ikegaku in Japan

I've been wanting to dip my toe into GDAE Mandola for a while, after reading Robert Margo's many...
  10. Replies
    Views

Here's an example of a Stridente restored by Lucas Sobieranski.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlaeT3Z_AZU
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

That bridge solo is great. Bassist is killing it too.

Here's another one for OP. To make it even better, he starts out the video by calling an eight-string Harley Benton mandocaster "the world's...
  12. Replies
    Views

Mick, you have won the prize for the cryptic label challenge!

13. Replies
    Views

Valzer del Commiato - Nino Rota

It is a waltz composed by Nino Rota for Visconti's film Il Gattopardo (1963). :mandosmiley:
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian 10 string Mandolin (Didone)

The Naples Exhibition where he won the gold medal could refer to the big Labour Exhibition for the opening of Galleria Umberto 1 in 1890.

15. Replies
    Views

Italian 10 string Mandolin (Didone)

Hi all,

Bought this a few days ago on Ebay, unusual design with its 5 courses. Seems to be a short lived and not sucessful design. The name Nicola Didone is new to me, couldn't find any...
  16. Re: Light strings for Neapolitan bowl-back

Just occured to me that photos are better as a record here than videos which can later disappear.

Here are some pics of it as it is, though I do still need to clean the soundboard.
    I believe...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Light strings for Neapolitan bowl-back

No, I'm not rolling my eyes about your Gibson....but I'd rather play your other mandolins!;) :grin:
  18. Replies
    Views

Fisoma "Consort" strings are good; I' somewhat surprised to see the G string is 0.035, though.

Dogal makes a "Calace" set that's quite nice, and long-lasting. I think the lightweight set is "Dolce...
  19. Replies
    Views

From my experience, pretty much all bowlbacks should be strung with extra-light strings, with 1st string at .009.

I have no problems with the GHS A240 Ultra Light Gauge: L09 (2) -L13 (2) -LB20 (2)...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowl Back Mandolin "TARTAGLIA"

In the "Bowlbacks of Note" thread, Jan. 7, 2014, posting #6216, Jim Garber mentions a Tartaglia:

Default Re: Bowlbacks of Note
    Speaking of Roman instruments... this is a Giulio Tartaglia model...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Old BMG magazines

I just stumbled upon the archives of the Banjo Mandolin and Guitar that folded in the 70s.https://classic-banjo.ning.com/page/bmg-magazines

A treasure house of interesting material - who knew that...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin in bal folk music?

I'd like to add couple of links too:

https://gurdyworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Massif-Central-Pink.pdf

https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin in bal folk music?

As it happens, I've been dipping my toes into the bal folk repertoire over the past few weeks, with the results posted at my Youtube channel and over in the SAW Group on the forum. There's a great...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Music from Central France

Oops I sent the notation-only version,
    well here's La Chavannée, the all-inclusive notation/TAB version,
    bon appétit! :)

25. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

Thanks Doc, for bringing this thread back on topic. The first thing that should have been pointed out is that Gibson has a trademark on the Les Paul body and what they call the "ES" body (the...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4