Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: "Live From Here" Musical Guests: Clearly I'm Not Hip

I find the shows with the live video feed much more entertaining. Even when the musical guests aren't my cup of tea, I'll still watch. Chris has an amazing musical ear, and if he hears something in...
  2. Re: "Live From Here" Musical Guests: Clearly I'm Not Hip

I'm at the back end of the Baby Boomers, and I still listen to LFH every weekend, just to see what the kids are doing.

I might not like everything I hear, but I think it's important to hear it,...
  3. Re: Brute Force vs. Exemplar Soloing (Yup, I made those terms up)

Novelists learn from other writers, poets study poetry (Dylan knew lot of the canon), political speakers study successful speeches.

It is not so much about being able to play another's solo, but...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: "beater" mandos vs. case candy

Spend the day and take some quality pictures of the Aria.

Then play the snot out of it. Take it camping. Take it to festivals. Let strangers play it. Life is short. Make some music.

A cool...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Always put your instrument in its case...

"I'm just playing a bunch of garbage tonight"....
  6. Re: Beginner, intermediate or advanced - finally have the authora

When I saw this awhile back I thought the same thing. I gave myself a pat on the back and whispered "you're gettin' there". Congrats on your intermediate status, as I wear mine with pride.

I feel...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Tail Piece and CA Bridge

Looks and the amount of money in your pocket.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Play softer, play better?

I have tried everything I can think of to play loud and it just isn't going to happen. I know a lady fiddle player who has the same issue. I've observed that even though she plays very quietly,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: My Level of Incompetence

My enthusiam prevails over my incompetence almost every time!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: For the price of a single Harley Davidson...

News update: " were sorry,but T.D. will not be performing tonight,as he lost 3 fingers in a bizarre and tragic mandolin accident"..
  11. Making a $40 Rogue mando play like a dream. It is possible!

I said "play", not "sound".. although it doesn't sound that bad for a beginner instrument :)

There have been a lot of questions about the dirt-cheap mandos like the Rogue, and I wanted to post...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Studying Bill Monroe

I've been a professional musician for 51 years . I have yet to see a rule book telling me what I HAVE to learn .I'm doing a daily gig at the moment ( guitarist ) that covers probably a dozen styles...