Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. RECOVERED Re: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

My lost 1922 Gibson F4 mandolin has been found, here is the story…

Last week I received an email correspondence, through my website, from a operations supervisor of a retailers distribution...
  2. Replies
    Views

Shout out to Paul Shippey

This is my latest acquisition, an early Christmas gift. This fantastic instrument was made by Paul Shippey in Somerset (UK). Paul is a brilliant luthier and an awesome guy to work with.

I am a...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Chart For Tab Numbers and Musical Notes

This’ll come across as snark but if people would redirect the effort they put into avoiding standard notation they’d be competent readers of the dots in a short time.
  4. Replies
    Views

A moment for thanks...

Here's wishing a super, fun, healthy, and family-centric Thanksgiving to all my friends here on MandolinCafe!
    Roger
  5. Re: Any others here that started their mandolin/instrument later

I encourage you to start attending the jam now. Don't wait or put it off. Sometimes if a person waits until they think they're "good enough" to play with others they end up never going to a jam.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday, Mandolin Cafe!

Dangit, it snuck up on me again this year. Ah for the sound of the blazing 14.4K modem and the computer that might have had 32 MB of RAM, though I doubt it did.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

Hi Guys!

Ian Klosowiak here, I'm the product designer here at Klos, and co-founder, along side my brother Adam. Thanks for all the support and enthusiasm. Yes, I finally finished designing the...
  8. Re: New 19” scale Northfield Wavelength Octave/Reichman Demo

Hi everyone. Our new Wavelength octave is in production now. Our first batch is finishing up and is in the setup process. We got a little behind with all the summer festivals and the general pace and...
  9. Old Home Place - Song breakdown and sheet music

Hey all

I figured I'd stick with the jam classics for the song breakdown this week so I focused on Old Home Place. One of the first bluegrass tunes I learned (thanks to Dan Sankey) and still a...
  10. Replies
    Views

First ever tremolo

So even though I am still very much a beginner, this weekend I've been attending a Wernick Method Jam Camp. Two things have come out of it:

First, I've been playing double stops all over the neck...
  11. Replies
    Views

Nylon-Strung Piccolo Mandolin Prototype

A few weeks back, I posted a couple of pictures in the What’s on Your Bench thread, of the latest mandolin to leave my bench, a prototype nylon-strung, four string piccolo (sopranino) mandolin. For...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: 1919 Gibson F4 in the classifieds

That looks like a good one, the one that Don posted does not.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Old New Guy -Any second day tips?

My first mandolin was also a Kentucky KM200S. I bought it online, and despite the seller telling me it was ready to go, it had very high action. The bridge saddle was already all the way down, and I...
  14. Replies
    Views

Illustrated Mandolin Chord Bible

As some of our members here know already, I began working on an illustrated book of mandolin chords several years ago. Lifestyle changes and projected publishing costs put a damper on the project,...
  15. Re: Advice on valuing my fathers Stefan Sobell mandolin

Hi English Rose,

Stefan Sobell has got a page on his web site where he advertises instruments which are available now. Very often these are instruments which are being sold on behalf of people...
  16. Darren Nicholson on obtaining his Lloyd Loar F-5

This is a pretty cool story...

p4gFdwJljKw
  17. Replies
    Views

Mandolin session in Edinburgh's Waverley Bar

The session in the Waverley Bar, Edinburgh, hosted by top Scots singer George Duff, is usually quite busy. However, last weekend there was just myself, the wonderful fiddler John Martin and top...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian mandolin

Sorry I’m a bit late with this. :)

BOOK OF ITALIAN TAB FOR MANDOLIN
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/plzpohzz7kjcvc8/ITALIAN%20ALL%20TOGETHER%20%20MANDOTAB.pdf?dl=0
  19. There are more pickers near me than I realised....

Hi folks,
    I love my hometown of Manchester. There are vibrant music scenes in Irish folk, jazz, classical, klezmer pop etc... That said, my experience is there is something of a dearth of...
  20. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile - 10 representative tracks.

An impossible task that only an idiot would attempt.

Here’s my take. Hope you enjoy.

https://www.toppermost.co.uk/chris-thile/
  21. Mandolin Tasting: Gibsons, Buckeye, Duff, Northfiled

Here I played 6 mandolins on the same tune, with same strings, pic, mics, etc. so you could listen and hear differences. Comment below which you like best and we will reveal what each one is in a...
  22. Replies
    Views

New Big Muddy M-16 Mandola

I recently had Mike Dulak construct me one of his fantastic M-16 mandola’s with a spruce top and rosewood back and sides. I’ve owned several Mid Missouri’s and Big Muddy’s over the years but this was...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: First mandolin

Some basic knowledge about fretting, picking, chording etc. is transferable. Tuning's quite different, fifths instead of fourths-and-a-third, so you need to go up more frets on a string -- assuming...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Good deal on a Big Muddy M2 on Boston CL

Well...my Mid Missouri M4 arrived today and it is amazing! Very different from my friend's Eastman 605, but once I got used to it, I fell in love. Such a lovely sound and so inspiring. Let me...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Newb's first day

Otherwise known as "your last day with a savings account".
Page 1 of 2 1 2