Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

Gibson finally fixed the eagle beak scroll! This is huge.
  2. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

Oh yeah, one more bit. BA in Music from CCM. MBA from Xavier, don’t tell anybody. Just finished paying off my student loans last year - and I am 53 years old.

No formal luthier training. No...
  3. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

Couple more things to add - been building mandolins full time for 20 years. Been rebuilding flathead Ford transmissions for 13 years.

I think the key to being able to make it is to be able to...
  4. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

By the way that means I work 7 days a week - not 3 on mandolins and 2 on transmissions.
  5. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

I make a little money. Happily married to a nurse who makes good money and has health insurance. Normal life with two kids, two cats, and a mortgage that is ALMOST paid off. Not much possibility...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Karasik Mandolin Project

Here's another guy playing the Karasik Loar. Great fun to get to play this a bit.

https://youtu.be/M-a1FbFCe4Q

M-a1FbFCe4Q
  7. Re: This just showed up in my inbox re: Gibson guitars

Here's a more detailed story, with the jury questionnaire...
    https://blabbermouth.net/news/gibson-wins-jury-verdict-against-dean-over-guitar-shapes

I used to preface my opinions with "It's my...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: JD Crowe

When I heard J D Crowe's band in Lexington in 1969, Doyle Lawson played an instrument built by Homer Ledford, better known, I believe, for his mountain dulcimers. Me and my friends chatted a bit with...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 1950’s Gibson F5

Ah, the controversial 50's F5s. You would think with Bill Monroe going strong by the 50's Gibson would have been overrun with orders. Many forget the F5 and the F12 were custom ordered instruments....
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar awareness...beginning when??

There was a little pocket of "early bluegrass" in southern Ohio; Jim & Jesse recorded and played out of Cincinnati as The Virginia Trio (with Larry Roll), the Osbornes started in Dayton, worked both...
  11. Replies
    Views

Sticky: Re: Loar Picture of the Day

Agree with that. Not many folks have seen and thoroughly studied enough of them. General knowlegde has grown in last 10-15 years but some details emerge now and then and it will take time till...
  12. Replies
    Views

Sticky: Re: Loar Picture of the Day

John's example is typical but the specs settled in mid 23 and earlier Loars show some odd features like different wood selection, f hole size, tone bar shape etc. There are not many of those around...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

Got an amazon email saying they had them back in stock. I bought a white crossrock fiberglass case. So far it has exceeded my expectations. Really well designed. Someone had mentioned that the case...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: 61 F5 at Carters

yes, the 50's and 60's F5 and F12 were custom order only instruments, or made to order. A dealer would normally get a downpayment (it varied) and the order was placed. It could take 6 months to 2...
  15. Replies
    Views

The Brilliance of Dawg

I was sitting in my apartment here in Bellingham this morning when I heard some music being played in a park right behind the building where I live. It sounded like a mandolin and a bass (sounded...
  16. Re: the Lloyd Loar F5s: in the 1920s and today

Musical instruments, outside of furniture sized pieces - and with a few exceptions, were generally considered objects that would wear out and get replaced. Guitars, mandolins, and banjos especially...
  17. Thread: Oval A

by amowry
    Replies
    Views

Re: Oval A

Ditto what Marty said. Also, though it may go without saying, I would recommend using an X brace instead of the Gibson-style lateral brace that tends to come unglued.

I've built several of these...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

My Crossrock silver fiberglass case arrived today and I took some photos as I unboxed and looked her over. Here are some photos of the case:193971

Impressions: The...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson doubleneck

One of the more interesting, and difficult jobs I ever had, was the restoration of what was probably Gibson's first doubleneck guitar: The "Jack Penewell Twin Six."

It was a modified 1930's Roy...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson inlays

I have studied this subject extensively over the years. My F5Journal, if you have ever seen the print version documents the entire metamorphosis for F5 Mandolin peghead inlay. In general, the...
  21. Replies
    Views

New Vessel Loar A5 tribute

Here is my latest. Not an exact Griffith copy, as I have not seen the original. But more of a concept instrument of the possible existence of a second Loar signed A5.
    Pic guard by Darryl Wolfe,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: F5 with an OVAL hole?

This thread got me jogging the old memory banks as I recall owning (many moons ago) an original custom F-5 with an oval hole made in the early 1960s. As fate would have it, my wife Tracy showed up...
  23. Thread: Trip to Nashville

by CES
    Replies
    Views

Re: Trip to Nashville

It’s been a few years since I’ve been, but I remember the house band at Robert’s Western World being outstanding. They’d been playing there since 1995, and they were tight. Great steel guitar! They...
  24. Replies
    Views

Winter has barely started.
    Guitar show sounds fun.
    When I went for first and only time 2or3years ago:
    Carters was the best !
    Gruhns was great too. I bought a baseball hat with their logo because...
  25. Replies
    Views

Yes, Broadway has turned into something like Bourbon Street on steroids. It's pretty much mayhem and high prices. You'll find better food and music elsewhere.
    And yes, we probably have the best...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4