Search:

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: RIP Dickey Betts

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Dickey Betts

This song was my introduction to the Allman Brothers. Here is a version with Dickey front and center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmetEMv7SfQ
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Player Magazine!

I don't know if you ever listened to his podcast he did the last year or so of his life. If you haven't you should. It is priceless. It is near the bottom of his webpage at the link below.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

Secondary dominants (II-V-I) are very common. The chorus of Uncloudy Day and the usual way of playing Further Along have them. Learning to hear the II-V-I is important because it comes up quite a...
  4. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

5. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

Not to nitpick too much I heard that attributed to Chet Atkins. I do not believe Doc read music at all unless it is Braille notation. Not that I would put much past Doc. He was a rather amazing...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Big news from Gibson!

But that is just the bridge.
  7. Re: Looking for information about the history of mandolin orchest

Sherry Mignano Crawford, who is sometimes a poster here, wrote the book on Italian mandolins in America. See the link below. It may have some relevant information for you.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Whiskey barrel octave mandolin

Since no one else has dared to bring it up, it would be ideal for playing Rye Whiskey or Whiskey Before Breakfast.

For posterity or whatever:

9. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

Most of the bluegrass guitarists I know will play out of E forms. However most bluegrass guitarists are flatpickers. Scruggs used fingerpicks when he played guitar. You Are My Flower, which is...
  10. Re: First Mandolin Choice, what is available to me now

Just to clarify a point on intonation. With modern factory built mandolins the location of the frets is rarely a problem. Fret slots are CNC cut and usually accurate. Fret location can be a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Happy Birthday Doc Watson

Today is the 101st anniversary of Doc Watson's birth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNLXs_Y0FvA
  12. Replies
    Views

There is a musical reason for that though. C, A, G, E and D are the only keys with open string, first position chords. That is the sound expected and demanded of bluegrass guitar. I can play in...
  13. Replies
    Views

I have been surprised by some pretty good horn or sax players who really did not like to have to play G, A or E. They would hang around in Bb or F all day given the chance.
  14. Thread: HOG SOL on SGW

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

Re: HOG SOL on SGW

To take this even further off the beaten path, a friend of mine whose last name is Wolf worked with a number of Mexicans on a landscaping crew who referred to him as Seņor El Lobo. So it seems in...
  15. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

When I first read your post I thought you were referring to the post just before it about breaking into cars and leaving more banjos in them. I did not think you were that sort of person.
  16. Re: Would this be a good invention, or is there another solution?

There is no substitute for real people.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Technique adjustments

The reason for keeping your wrist straight is not so much to improve your playing as it is to prevent carpal tunnel injuries. You should definitely thank your teacher for that one.
  18. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

I had a very bad experience taking my Martin guitar to a gig at negative 10F. It went from the house to the warmed up car and from the car to the gig and vice versa. There was not more than four...
  19. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I have played Wagon Wheel probably more than most of, if not all, the people in here because a singer I used to work with loved it and sang it constantly. That being said, there is a time and a...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

Now that is a statement which could be totally subject to misinterpretation. At least I hope so. :disbelief:
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Locking your mandolin case

As a person who has had love notes from the TSA left inside his checked guitar case three times I advise against locking cases on flights. They are subject to inspection and they will open them one...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Caliper precision vs. what's on the box

Yes you are missing something. The amount of diameter reduction is minuscule. It would be the fifth decimal place inches for a 0.010 E string at 25 lbs tension. It is not measurable with a normal...
  23. Thread: Arpeggios

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggios

The value of arpeggios became apparent to me when learning to play songs that have VI-II-V-I circle of fifths progressions like Salty Dog or Don't let Your Deal Go Down and songs in the early jazz...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Maintaini repertoire

I have found things come and go. I have been playing guitar over 50 years and mandolin around 8 years. There are a few songs I have kept up over 50 years. The songs seem to come back fairly quickly...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: What kind of hat do I need?

There is this fellow also.

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4