Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What qualities does a Neapolitan mandolin have?

Final answer: What is a tater bug?
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: I miss the Classified Guitar posts....

The site owner removed them for good reasons, and explained all this when the removal occurred. Use the search feature if you’re curious. And the OP, Billy Packard, is aware of this.

Editing to...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

It can be tough to make sense of it all. But the idea that you have to play something perfectly without mistakes before moving on is a bit of a fallacy. I doubt many people can play things perfectly....
  4. Re: Complete Noob - Discovered Grandpa’s bowl back mandolin !

I didn’t exactly miss it Bill, after I posted that comment, I realized that you had qualified what you said and that my comment wasn’t really fair. No offense, the truth is that I don’t think it’s a...
  5. Re: Complete Noob - Discovered Grandpa’s bowl back mandolin !

I agree, you can find a serviceable beginner instrument in a Dirty 30’s, or even a Washburn, though if you can afford either a Kentucky or Eastman, go for one of those. Be sure to buy from a place...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: The Entertainer

Interesting read, thanks!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

Zen, breathing, all that. It’s easy to say “relax” but difficult to practice it.

I’m no fireball either; also, not wise nor greatly experienced, but I agree with what “they” say about relaxing....
  8. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Mark Gunter
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

My vote for the best answers thus far:
  9. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Mark Gunter
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

That’s sound advice, I haven’t had an opportunity to play a Red Diamond. But still, I’d be more likely to lay the success of one at the feet of Dan himself; that is, to Macrostie’s lutherie skills...
  10. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Mark Gunter
    Replies
    Views

Aged-tone?

Aged-tone … What does that even mean? Tough enough to define “tone” much less aged-tone. So, do you believe in it? Is it a real thing?

Torrefication is a real process, we know that, but does...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you play “split” beat

Example would be helpful. But here are some things to bear in mind. First, you don’t have to play a piece of music exactly as written. Second, in the case you describe, if I really wanted to play...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Classifides

Also, I’ll add that I never had an unhappy buyer … but if I had, I would have accepted a return. In fact, I’d accept one back today if it were in the same condition. They can’t be replaced for what I...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning mandolin as a fiddler?

Thanks for sharing your musical journey. I was a very active member of the newbies group here for a few years, and had noticed your earlier participation there, and of course have seen many of your...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Pedal novice question re: preamp pedal

I had a tough decision between the AD-10 and the Tonebone PZ Pre. Both get really high marks. In the end, I went for the tonebone. I realize it may not be my last preamp purchase, because it would...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

Tune in question: https://youtu.be/1Ys1Ewa555s?si=u-OKbIC11lI-FLyn
  16. Replies
    Views

Yes I get confused on up down in out left right these days, it’s pretty neat
  17. Re: Recording King A-style mandolin on the cheap.

It should be noted that a final setup is not (and should not) be done by factory anyway, regardless of the price tag. The action on an instrument is down to personal preference. I have no issue with...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Demonstrating a mandolin

Interesting discussion.

When I’ve sold instruments, I’ve often played strings up each fret, as well as playing some licks and snippets of tunes. Thanks to GMorgan’s post, should I sell one in the...
  19. Re: Would this be a good invention, or is there another solution?

Not in performance, I’ve always done the troubador thing when performing solo. But yeah, like you I’ve made my own backing tracks by multitracking, and I’ve used some of the different softwares for...
  20. Re: What have I got here-is this old mandolihomemade or by a buil

SOVL:

A "misspelling" of the word "soul" derived from 4chan.

Related to the "return to tradition" meme because of its replacing the letter u with v, as was done in written ancient Latin during...
  21. Re: Would this be a good invention, or is there another solution?

I did strummachine for 2 years, opted for the annual payments. Was a great tool.

Then I tried Chordpulse for a few weeks and bought the full version. Works great for me.

There are a bunch more,...
  22. Replies
    Views

I wish I could remember the words of Pete Martin, something like, “there are no difficult keys, only unfamiliar ones.”
  23. Replies
    Views

Basics. A “key” is nothing more than a “container” for seven diatonic notes, and for the specific harmonic triads of thirds formed from those notes, thus, seven specific triads.

I see very little...
  24. Re: Developing a lighter touch on the pick and strings

J. C., I don’t think there are any specific exercises for this, you can use any tunes that you know, or scale & arpeggio practice, etc. Here are some tips on how to practice those. These are not “one...
  25. Re: Are pressed sound boards necessarily bad?

There are awesome flat top, bowl back mandolins, And canted top bowl back mandolins. So another way of looking at this is that there are awesome sounding flat top mandolins; therefore why not awesome...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4