Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. The Cat in the Hopper, played on a 1917 Gibson A-4

Here's my latest offering, a lovely little jig in G minor recorded with a marvelous 1917 Gibson A-4 on loan from a friend.

https://youtu.be/WFTBHVaQoBc
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Surgery for arthritis...

They did a Mini TightRope technique on my left thumb. It relieved 99% of the pain and problems, and the recovery period was shorter. Sooner or later I will have to have it done on my right thumb,...
  3. McFadden's Handsome Daughter: solo octave mandolin

A friend recently requested this tune so I thought I'd take a swing at it with my Weber octave mandolin. My version is loosely based on a solo performance by Frankie Gavin (though he plays it a...
  4. Replies
    Views

1898 Gibson Mandolin

This was posted from the Chapman shop in the Vintage Instruments section of the forum. Since many members may not visit that section, I really think it deserves to be posted here as well. The video...
  5. Replies
    Views

Standard Notation for Tunes

About a year ago, I found a website called musescore.com. It has thousands - maybe hundreds of thousands, of scores available. I have searched across many genres - Irish, Scottish, bluegrass, French...
  6. Replies
    Views

more Mark O'Connor Mandocello

OK Then...

S26kVyt05iQ
  7. Replies
    Views

Illustrated Mandolin Chord Bible

As some of our members here know already, I began working on an illustrated book of mandolin chords several years ago. Lifestyle changes and projected publishing costs put a damper on the project,...
  8. So you always wanted to make your own mandolin

Well, now you can! Simply follow these instructions.
  9. Replies
    Views

JACOB and the MANDOLIN ADVENTURE

New book by Anne Dublin.
    From the back cover:
    "Thirteen-year old Jacob's life in 1920s Poland where he lives in an orphanage for Jewish children. His days are brightened by playing in the...
  10. The Celtic Mandolin - Tunes for March 20121

Hi Folks
    Here are the resources I've posted this month. Hope you enjoy them. Remember, they're not too difficicult and work best in small groups or at least duets.

20. The Old Tune
    I can't...
  11. Replies
    Views

Hewlett on Octave Mandolin

Yes I'm wearing green

UETda4U1zo4
  12. Some great resources for Irish trad players...

Just flagging a website which I came across recently which I've found really useful.

Jon Antonsson, a flute player from Sweden, has some terrific resources at his website...
  13. Replies
    Views

Octave Mandolin Course

Matt Flinner is offering an eight-week online course exclusively on OM this spring. I've seen occasional instructional materials and workshops for OM, but never a structured course. After noodling...
  14. Replies
    Views

Trillium longscale mandola demo

A couple videos with my new Trillium Mandola.

I've had it about 2 months and it's already my desert island instrument. If I could keep only one, the Trillium would be it.

Very versatile. ...
  15. Thread: Flora MacDonald

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

Re: Flora MacDonald

The little stutters are called "cuts", a series of usually three short notes, dug in, rather than lightly bowed. This tutorial demonstrates more or less what Natalie's doing. However, Cape Breton...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Flora MacDonald

Here's Natalie MacMaster's rendition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF90m2C853k

Multiple transcriptions in general of the tune are here on The Session.
  17. Ceilidh Band in Lockdown (WARNING: non-mandolin content...)

...Those of a sensitive disposition, avert your eyes.

https://youtu.be/hJ59pXDz_6k
  18. Replies
    Views

DroneToneTools

http://www.dronetonetool.com/

This is a website with some interesting uses and possibilities. It is also available as an app.
    The app has a built in metronome, too.

19. Replies
    Views

Re: ToneGuard Question

Oh, come on!

You mean like this?! Note the after-market sissy bar attached to a brand-new Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

Actually, there are plenty of folks out there with new Harleys...
  20. Replies
    Views

Back in action

Hi all...

I've had many - MANY! - years of inactivity online in virtually every sphere. The reasons? Well, the net. It just became too bickery, too troll-y, too uncivilised. At least the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Cirotti Trio

I'm back in my home state of NJ for a visit and I hooked up with on old band mate to play a few at the open mic at The Dublin Pub in Morristown. He told me to make sure I got there early so we could...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Electric mandolin - a few questions...

For what it's worth I use the same gauge stings on my electric (8 string) as I do on my acoustic but obviously in steel rather than PB.
  23. Replies
    Views

Värttinä (Finland)

Dec 6 is Finnish Independence Day. Here's some music from the Finns.

Värttinä - Emotion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjsSMIXOnn0
  24. Re: Winter's Tale 5 - free sheet music for mandolin trios

Dear Mandolin friends,

Gary, thank you very much for posting the links to the earlier books.

I understand that some computers can't access the music this way, so I have put all 5 books in a...
  25. Winter's Tale 5 - free sheet music for mandolin trios

Dear Mandolin Friends,

Here is my fifth folio of free mandolin trio arrangements for winter. I included 6 carols this year, all of them beautiful and most not well-known. All but two are new...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4