Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

That's the thing with mando, though its small, about the size of a concert uke, its quite loud. Which is why I keep coming back to mine, and why I hope to get it finally set up soon
  2. Replies
    Views

I recently went to an old time party at a friend's house. There were maybe half a dozen fiddles, plus banjos, etc. Big jam. I was playing my Duff. I played a few tunes and thought, well, this is...
  3. Replies
    Views

Hi Max, I play in a border Morris side, along with 3 or 4 squeezeboxes so I also had the “volume” issue to deal with too.
    Initially I tried my Eastman MD814 mandolin, it couldn’t be heard. So I...
  4. Replies
    Views

Our Christmas Ceilidh was a sell-out last night and it does the heart good to look out and see everybody dancing.
    All available band members usually turn up for this so we had :
    Accordion/vocals...
  5. Replies
    Views

English pub sessions are far too inclusive.
    If four attractive, bodhran-playing young women (or very nice young men, whatever) turned up and wanted to dance, I would not be happy.
    But that’s what...
  6. Replies
    Views

That's not fair maxr - the bodhran players always know it.
  7. Replies
    Views

In my limited experience from years ago, and then this year when I'm mixing with more "Americana" and bluegrass musicians again, you don't need to be that loud because other musicians tend to drop...
  8. Replies
    Views

Glad you enjoyed it Salmando. Fun times indeed. I love the Orkney FF and go every year when I can.

I can pick out the mando sound in that video, but you do get that kind of blend of all...
  9. Replies
    Views

Thanks very much for posting this video. Reminds of my only old time jam attempt all I could hear was fiddles, banjo, and a muddle of indistinguishable stuff. My ear isn’t very good but couldn’t pick...
  10. Replies
    Views

At one time I had a small collection of metal-body roundneck Dobro guitars from the 1930's where they used a "trapeze" tailpiece similar to that one, and it was common to see them broken. Just a poor...
  11. Replies
    Views

I actually play tenor banjo a lot, mainly for playing for dances where I find the sound really cuts through.
    However, in a session I tend to prefer to play the mandolin, and an F holed mandolin at...
  12. Replies
    Views

It’s basically very easy Max. For your benefit atnd that of our American cousins -

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when...
  13. Replies
    Views

Forgot about the Wailing ones - at least they’re made in the UK so they should be easy to get hold of without the customs hassle although I’ve never actually heard or played one. You might find that...
  14. Replies
    Views

I don’t mind F-holes. It’s the A-holes I find really annoying. :))
  15. Replies
    Views

It is an F-hole that is preferred for bluegrass , rather than an F-body.
  16. Replies
    Views

I haven’t played one but noticed a used one here in the states at a pretty good price, although I’d want to have more info about the tailpiece issue. The hand rest that’s missing is problem easy to...
  17. Replies
    Views

I've read that an F-body mandolin has a brighter sound "capable of cutting through dense mixes without much effort" compared to an A-body which is warmer - thus why the F-body is preferred in...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re octave mandolin, you need a loud one and you need to play it assertively and loudly. soft pick and octave-tuned strings would not cut it. I have no trouble playing my octave at bluegrass jams,...
  19. Replies
    Views

I'm interested in these:

https://royallguitars.com/product/royall-teardrop-tenor-singlecone-brass-body-resonator-burnished-brushed-copper-finish/

23 inch scale. Pretty affordable. Will be...
  20. Replies
    Views

National RM-1 as previously said would be the one to use. Cut through almost anything. I don[t have one but over the years two people have used them in a 16 piece band and they work. Very little else...
  21. Replies
    Views

Trad sessions in UK and Ireland are nothing like that.
  22. Replies
    Views

That's pretty much my experience too. The rhythm section has one player per instrument - and the "front line" will vary depending on the number of players as the play the heads and take solos....
  23. Replies
    Views

Maybe you have something to learn from jazz jams. As far as I know at a standard (meaning swing to bop) jam there'll be ONE set of drums, ONE bass, ONE piano and possibly some other rhythm...
  24. Replies
    Views

Add another vote for GDAE tuned tenor banjo!
  25. Replies
    Views

I no longer take my GBOM to sessions as it’s simply not loud enough; I usually stick to mandolin and guitar. My RM-1 is plenty loud enough and actually sounds better when played with other...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4