Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Sierra Ferrell: lots of mandolin content

I've seen her twice - once as the headliner of day one of the LA Folk Festival last year, and then again a few weeks ago as the only act. She was great at the festival, but she absolutely brought...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Jam…just kidding.

Try going to an actual bluegrass festival. There are tons of them, year-round, all across the country. Walk around. Yes, some of the jams will be like you described, but there will be plenty of...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: New Album/Single by Sarah Jarosz

I'm a fan. Really enjoyed seeing her live a few years ago - hope she comes back to my area soon. Here's another side of her entirely, no doubt posted here before, but I've always really liked this...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s Happening At Gibsin?

I always find it interesting that two people can look at the same information and draw such different conclusions!

Here is one of those lists you mention. 16% is a substantial portion of the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Carter Vintage

Keep in mind that these are used prices, not what the luthier charged (which may have been more or less). Somogyi is almost in a category of his own, between his unique voicing and his intricate...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Punch Brothers "Hell on Church Street"

They do a great version of “Gold Rush”. The song on HOCS is called “The Gold Rush”, and doesn’t seem to have any direct relationship to the old BG standard other than a (very) similar name.

For...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Persimmon mandolins?

Pisgah makes some very well-regarded banjos using persimmon fingerboards and tone rings. Be worth pursuing further, IMO.
  8. Thread: Fern?

by fishermike
    Replies
    Views

Re: Fern?

Well put. I'm going to have to borrow that one!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Just for Fun (Sierra Hull)

They're all amazing. Sierra's fantastic, and Sarah Jarosz is an underrated talent (playing an underrated instrument!), IMO. And Molly needs no introduction. Thanks for sharing!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Rag mandolins

I bought #31 (A-style), spruce top w/cherry back and flame maple sides and neck, from forum member Andrew Buckner (check out his site:
    https://www.andrewbucknermusic.net/music-2) a few weeks ago,...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Backwards Guitar Solo?

Or worse...

http://www.vh1.com/news/52612/15-songs-satanic-backwards-messages/

Gotta be careful playing stuff backwards. Extra points if you're also upside-down, though.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Speed of bluegrass... is it just me?

"Music is in the space between the notes." -no bluegrasser, ever