Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Aficionados

Your humor does not go unnoticed Flatrock.....
  2. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

My nightmare of sitting at the wheel and having it wrestled from my hands by AI became true in a rented VW Golf with so-called "lane assist". The thing tried to steer me into oncoming traffic on a...
  3. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

I've been working with computers since 1985. Scott's quote illustrates why, when social media came along around 20 years ago, I gave it a long hard look and said, "No thanks." I want to preserve as...
  4. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

As someone who has been making my own music for about two decades now, I recently discovered S*no (not even going to grace them by typing out the whole name, u can figure it out), which launched at...
  5. Replies
    Views

Was away quite a while...

Clearly pretty out-of-touch now! Need to put some new strings on and start practicing again. Build up the callouses....still, the Ellis is great motivation.
  6. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

Love the term "dreadful rubbish." Orwell's foresight seems to become more and more accurate as time goes on.

Re legislation, fortunately (I think), the dangers of AI extend beyond music and other...
  7. Replies
    Views

Big news from Gibson!

I'd get one just for the day pass!
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

Gibson's trademarks are not really the "issue" with lots of people, it is the companies' heavy handed tactics related to such.
    C F Martin has trademarks too. The "rectangular" peghead being one of...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

Well, not really. They were already screwing up by the 1960s, at least as far as their acoustic instruments were concerned.

But the legal posturing didn't really take off until Henry J. took the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: My dad's fern mandolin

That Loar was found at the San Jose flea market and sold for a 20 dollar bill! That was 5-8 years ago I believe. It's still for sale on gbase for a slightly "elevated" price.
  11. Replies
    Views

My dad's fern mandolin

No, not my dad. This person's dad:

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.adn4676
  12. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

I'm reminded of some observations made by Mike about Monroe’s playing that I found very insightful .. and by extension relate toMike’s playing as well…

(from interviews w/ Mike )

“The Monroe...
  13. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

Love that mandolin, and obviously, I love Mike Compton.

Something that often gets lost in conversations on this board about mandolins, technique, theory, etc., is the importance of musical...
  14. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

I agree completely. All types of music for different likes and dislikes. Mike is one of the best at his style of playing. I appreciate his playing even though I prefer crystal clear notes, chords,...
  15. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

I know what you're getting at. However, it's a chunky, percussive and very rhythmic sound that always draws me in. Mike goes for soul and feel over crystal clean technical playing. Listen to those...
  16. Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

https://www.pegheadnation.com/instruments-gear/fine-lutherie/2008-duff-f-5/?utm_source=Infusionsoft&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=PegheadPost2024Mar21&utm_content=contentGearComptonDuffMandolin&u...
  17. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

While I recognize that our budgetary sense of what constitutes "moderately-priced" is a sliding scale, I would point out that the OP joined in July of 2023 and only has 35 posts to date.

The...
  18. Replies
    Views

This Dawg is a Dog

https://www.buya.com/Item/Details/KENTUCKY-MANDOLIN-KM-DAWG/7254873b101f49f2aa2d12e8c3bf4d55

19. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Skip Kelley
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

The mandolin that Cheryl has is one that was made with the oldest wood that I had. It was purchased from Ted Davis’ stash. I now have red spruce that was cut over 100 years ago. It is much older. It...
  20. Thread: Aged-tone?

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

Wood will always gets to EMC which depends on RH of air around it. Thermally processed wood has slightly lower EMC and has generally better dimensional stability which was the main argument for doing...
  21. Re: Stephen Perry updates, shop running again, located N. Va.

I think they just didn't look at the date. I posted because (I'm assuming) Steve lost control of his websites. One is now wrapped in Chinese characters and the other has a warning that it may contain...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson's 1923 F-5 Master Model Reissue

Back to the OP...
    In the staged pics from this PR article :
    https://gazette.gibson.com/gear/gibson-launches-the-1923-f-5-master-model-reissue-and-f-5g/

you can see several necks with dovetail...
  23. Replies
    Views

There is also article on Gilchrists web with more pics:
    https://www.gilchristmandolins.com/70281-restore
  24. Replies
    Views

Search engine for "Gilchrist Loar repair" goes to his web site, "fretboard journal Gilchrist loar repair" should get you to their web site, and it is Fretboard Journal # 38 if you have that.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Washburn F-5..

I have not played one for six or seven years but the ones I played at a shop in NC were less than acceptable. The tone was thin and the fit and finish were horrible.
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4