Search:

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Demonstrating a mandolin

Well, there, then!
  2. Re: Just got a tone-gard a couple days ago

I've read that Bill Monroe did it that way because he didn't want to take his hat off every time he put his mandolin on or took it off. He was self-conscious about what his hat did to his hair.
  3. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

Hey, Ayo Leo!

With a lot of higher-end instruments, you're paying for the decoration. Inlays, scrolls, points, and bindings are all extra work that your fingers won't feel and your ears won't...
  4. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

I don't denigrate the quality of the products. But I have real problems with the labor and environmental standards of a lot of other countries. China alone has over a million slave laborers, and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: My Journey so far.

Welcome, Tom!

Guitar guy here who bought a used Fender mandolin on a whim* five or ten years ago. It was crap, but it was a hoot to play, anyhow, and it got me going nicely. Your instinct to wait...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

Absolutely. It'll help your driving, too!
  7. Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

If that doesn't make you an expert, words have no meaning.
  8. Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

The flip side of ADD and ADHD is that while we're too-easily distracted, we can also fall into things for hours, like we're hypnotized.* Yesterday I started practicing C major on my new squareneck,**...
  9. Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

More tips:

- Keep your mandolin out in a place where it's near at hand and you can grab it. You'll find it lets you do a lot of drive-by playing, even if it's just in five- and ten-minute chunks....
  10. Re: D'Addario Micro Headstock vs Micro Clip Free tuners

To make the hand-made instrument costing thousands of dollars sound good!

(Full disclosure: My tuners all cost more than ten dollars, and my mandolins have all cost less than thousands of dollars.)
  11. Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

Yup, that's pretty much what I do. I don't time it, but three minutes sounds about right.

It's slow, but I learn the songs. And forget them. So before a gig, to refresh my memory, such as it is, I...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Results of member search

How about using the email button on the ad to write the seller and ask?
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

I like my oval a lot more than the two F-hole mandos I've had. It just sounds better. But I'm not a bluegrasser, so there's that.

Now you know.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Your thoughts on noob's new friend

Can you just try both and see which you like better?

This is the kind of question the smart folks at www.MandolinCafe.com love to field. You might go there to see what they think. They're friendly...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: “Balanced” String Sets

Well, yes, they can.

I've never tested this, but the conventional wisdom is that if you always wipe down uncoated strings after playing, they'll last as long as coated. But if you're not in the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: “Balanced” String Sets

When I started playing, the unbalance bothered me a lot. I asked here, and found a brand people recommended and used a set or two. But then I mentioned it to a long-time pro mando player, and he just...
  17. Re: Why do some higher end mandos return to the market so quickly

That's my guess, too.

My first mando was a used Fender that I got through a friend. ("Want to buy a mandolin?" "Nope." "Fifty dollars." "Oh. Okay.")

The next three I bought online. The first...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: What Preamp Do You Prefer

You might not. When I'm just gigging with one instrument, I go straight from instrument to Red-Eye to PA. The Fire-Eye folks have done all the fine tuning so I don't have to. And when it doubt,...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: I would like to find a beater

Second attempt

That's Junior, before and after. It was a basket case when I bought it. Some regluing, refinishing, and refretting happened. The hardware is all new: Cumberland Acoustics bridge,...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: I would like to find a beater

Oops. Never mind. Sorry. Computer isn't cooperating. Ugh.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Banjolin or Tenor Banjo?

What's your budget? I don't know of any mandolin louder than a metal National. And it wouldn't be as plinky as a banjo.

But I'm no pro. Others here know a lot more than I do. I'd love to know what...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: What Preamp Do You Prefer

I was real frustrated with all the preamps I'd bought and unloaded. The several folks here recommended the Fire-Eye Red-Eye. They engineer all the fine-tuning in so you don't have to. Always sounds...
  23. Re: Looking for some help sifting through reverb

Congrats!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Shout out to Lakota Leathers

Love the big, fat Lakota on my squareneck reso guitar. Tried other straps, but they weren't very comfortable. So I decided to spring for a Lakota bison strap.

It feels great. Good to hear their...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing standing up is...

These seem to me to be the best two tips so far.
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4